M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

The staff were very helpful - Mario in particular! My wallet was stolen on the first night and he was extremely kind, letting me use the phone to call my bank etc. That was a life-saver. He also showed us a great route through the city. The location of the hostel is great and the rooms are clean and bright. The only drawback was that one cannot use the kitchen during the day until 3 o'clock.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • South Africa

Good! But would appreciate if theres a fan in the room. I went on summer and it was 37c, almost impossible to sleep without a fan. Also theres no wifi in the room you have to go to the lobby.

Stayed here during July very hot. Common area isn't comfortable, too small. Staff was nice and very helpful. Really close to the station.

Just didn't think it was worth the price. It was hot loud & dirty. But only really has the location going for it, other wise wouldn't have stayed there.

Needs aircon. Wifi is decent but only in common room.

BED BUGS!!! My boyfriend and I woke up with horrible little red bumps that are making us super itchy! I found a couple in my backpack when I left, and I am super disgusted.

me and my roommates are dying from bed bug bites. only cold water showers. worst place ever.

The location of the hostel was excellent. I like to walk everywhere instead of public transport - so the colosseum and other ruins where only about 2km walk away. However I had only one shower with hot water during my entire stay over five days. There were bed bugs in the bed and sheets and now I'm covered with bites. There was no fan or air conditioner and we were right in the middle of a heat wave. And the room was right next door to a club, which was very loud.

This was absolutely the worst experience of my entire holiday. My room was 95 degrees, and it smelled bad -- real bad. The staff were some of the rudest individuals i have ever met and even spied on us in our room when we were gone. For example, they asked us to please not drink in our room even though the none of us had been drinking and the wine bottle that was in our room wasn't even ours - not sure how they got into our room and knew that though. This one guy named Johanssen was to blame.

• 7th Jul 2015

We came during an unreasonably hot point in the season, and the lack of elevators and a/c, while fairly common throughout mediter, was a bit of a letdown when they specifically promise a/c. IF you drop the extra money for a private room, I'm told you may or may not get a/c. The friends we met were great, and the location is nice, but it definitely isn't worth the money, or the hassle. Lack of lockers, and a lenient security policy do not help. I suggest looking somewhere other than Termini area.

No WiFi in the rooms.

Very nice hostel and extremely close to the train station. Nice staff who were really helpful. Cooking was challenging due to the poor hobs but there was a reasonable restaurant right next door. Bathrooms were also very nice. No hot shower water but Rome was so hot that it didn't matter when we visited.

Blood stained mattress, really bad security, homeless people sleeping there also, staff were really helpful and pleaent and the location was really good, but just not for me, the whole place needs refurbishment

The staff was really nice, they help you getting around. The location is also great so that is a plus. The room was very hot, it only had 1 fan. There was too much noise coming from the street outside and there were few bathrooms for all the people staying there. Also the lights went out every 10 minutes or so.

No hot water un bathrooms, no wifi in rooms, no kitchen after 10pm, no fan or AC sUmmer. Do not go! Some Staff very rude

• 5th Jul 2015
  • Argentina

The first night was fine, although there was absolutely no hot water whatsoever - and this in an en suite room for which we paid extra for the separate bathroom. It wasn't very clean but it was tolerable. The lady at reception was very helpful. However, our second night, which we spent at another 6 bed en suite room was horrendous. Four out of the 6 people were bitten by fleas or bedbugs or God knows what, and 2 of us had very bad allergic reaction. Absolutely unacceptable and appalling.

• 4th Jul 2015
  • Bulgaria

Terrible, do not stay here. Awful hostel. Worst I have seen in Europe

Great location, clean rooms, friendly staff I don't spend much time in hostels because I'm too busy sightseeing! So i wasn't bothered that there wasn't air con or wifi in our room I still had a great time :) thanks guys!

Awesome staff, very helpful. Accommodations were exactly what I expected from any hostel!

A fan in the rooms is crucial in the summertime

• 3rd Jul 2015