M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

A very convenient place to stay to the railway (150 metres) A little costly when I went (early may ) but Rome is expensive

Great location, staff with great recommendations on what to see. However, no lockers available for dorm rooms. No hot water in the ensuite bathroom, kind of defeating the purpose of booking the ensuite room in the first place. Please check your system - one night there was an overbooking in our room and the new person just planted his stuff on a bed (happened to be mine), then came back the next day huffing about how I "stole" his bed after I removed his things. No apology from staff.

Really awesome location right next to the main train station ( and metro). For those, like us, arrive hungry, there is a resteaunt/bar downstairs that gives discount to those staying in the hostel. Cons: there os afair bit of stairs but nothing deadly, wifi only in lobby so you have to listen to listen to everyone else's ridiculous Skype conversations while you book your next night. Overall would stay here again.

First of all I have to stay that the only good point of the hostel is the location. All the other things are quite poor. You haven't got warm water. The dorm of 6 people is very small and the beds are uncomfortable. The bathroom is very dirty so its hard for you to put things on any kind of found. There work two persons on the reception who only chat on Facebook and want to have there money. Therefore they do nothing at all.

• 1st May 2014

Friendly front desk staff - helpful with creating an itinerary to see the best parts of Rome. Close to Termini station which is great. Kitchen is only open from 3pm-10pm...very inconvenient. Cold-ass showers.

The staff, especially the boss "Mario", is the best staff I've ever met in hostels.

I wish there was an option above "excellent" to describe the wonderful staff at M&J! Not only did they have countless suggestions for things to do, they even essentially mapped out an itinerary for me with maps and drawings. I was traveling alone and didn't have any major plans so this certainly improved my voyage! I forgot my plug for the charger and only had the USB cord but luckily for me, the staff was kind enough to let it charge on the computer at reception for the night! These guys rock!

Be really carefull with luggage room in that hostel, there is dangerous old lock. I injured my finger with it. There aren't hooks in bathroom. Good location, staff is OK.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • Russia

Friendly staff and good location next to termini station. But they had bed bugs and no hot water in the shower, besides hardly any commutiy room, kitchen is only opeed from 3.00 pm till the late evening.

lots of steps to carry suitcase to get to the dorm. we were not permitted to use the elevator. dark paint in rooms makes it appear dungy and cleanliness questionable. kichen had limited hours. no lockers. however great location, staff were very helpful and beds were comfortable. breakfast deal at cafe downstairs was good.

The hostel is very close to Termini train station. You can visit all the city from hostel on walk. There were three bathroom on our floor which made us ready quickly as a 5-person group. The only problem was their kitchen is open 3pm-10pm and there was even no kettle. But it is not a big deal. We could leave our bags until 9pm after check-out. It is a nice hostel to visit Rome. I will prefer it if I go to Rome again.

Not only did I leave with bed bugs but I also left having had no hot water, and the worst sleeping experiences I've ever had at a hostel. I will not and would not recommend this place. Bed bugs are in room 117 apparently.

• 23rd Apr 2014

M&J is ok for a few nights, as the room is nice and clean (despite that odd smell, crossing Chanel nr. 5 and muskiness), but the staff are rather incompetent. From the girl that constantly seemed to have bad days and thus a bad attitude, to the guy working night shifts trying to make us check in every night again - annoying. The bar downstairs is amazing, but the hostel's atmosphere is dead, staying elsewhere next time. But no big complaints outside of this.

Just got back from 5 nights here. I have stayed in numerous hostels all over the world and have never written a review before but I felt compelled to here because this place is so awful. See below a list of key things I found during my stay: No hot water in the morning and when there was hot water the shower was an absolute dribble Beds were ancient and very flimsy, any movement on the bottom or the top bunk resulted in very loud creeking so no one could sleep. There is no WIFI in the rooms

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Wales

I booked a 3 night stay online for a friend and I, we lasted 1 night and that was enough to call it quits and demand for our money back. We got there at aproximatley 9pm and didn't get a room till 11:30pm. Both males in reception were rude, unfriendly and very UN-professional. Showers in all areas of the hostel were pathetic and the WIFI only worked downstairs in the main reception area. ALL IN ALL I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND TO STAY AT M&J HOSTEL IN ROME!

• 14th Apr 2014

Convenient location to trains and walking distance I major sighs. Grocery store nearby an a kitchen helped keep the cost of eating down (I was there five days). Very helpful and knowledgable staff. Like most 200year old buildings in Italy the plumbing wasn't perfect but they tried to fix hot water shortages quickly.

The price is way too much for what we get. The place is dirty, the bathrooms are old and dirty. The staff is quite rude. Never coming back to this place.

Ok place to stay seemed like it was a cery old motel. The lift doesnt work and the lightbus very poor in the rooms. They only have wifi in the lobby and there is no where reallly to hang out. Other than that the location was amazing and the staff were super helpful. The reception is open 24/7. There we no lockers to lock important tgings away amd you had to pay extra for towels.

Tiny bathrooms, it's almost impossible to keep the floor and your things from getting wet. No lockers and the security boxes their offer at the reception are only big enough to put your passport in; they keep the valuables people leave them behind the counter, where everybody can see them, and they sometimes have to leave reception for various reasons so anyone could pretty much go and steal them. Kitchen has no microwave and no oven. Wifi only works in the kitchen and in the common room.

The staff at this hostel were really friendly and helpful, however there was very little common space and the shared kitchen did not seem to be working. The bunk beds in the shared dorm were very noisy as was the place in general as there is a restaurant/bar downstairs which never seems to stop. For the cost of accommodation in Rome this is not a bad place, although take note of the party/nosey atmosphere.