MEININGER Cologne City Center Reviews

Engelbertstrasse 33-35, Cologne, Germany

Staff were very friendly, room was clean and spacious, there was even a table and chairs. Beds were comfy. Location was excellent, only around the corner from the lovely biergarten rathenauplatz and just down the road from zulpicher SRT which has loads of cool bats and restaurants. Also just a few tram stops from the cathedral.

This was a very well organised hostel close to everything in Cologne and spotlessly clean with plenty of space in the dorms. Both Geraldine and Simond, the two staff members that I met were very helpful and answered all my questions in a knowledgeable way. The hostel had a relaxed atmosphere and there was no difficulty leaving my baggage before and after check in/out. The only downside was the lack of a good room for meeting fellow travellers, which had to take place in the bar.

Pros. Friendly staff, nice guest kitchen (needs bowls though), clean bathrooms. Cons: rooms are cramped, allows a bunch of random children to stay there that will run around the halls screaming until midnight, lame bar, lame common room. Hardly any outlets in a room, the dryer doesn't work, breakfast not worth the price, key cards will hardly ever work, in a boring part of town. Köln was just a boring city as well, I wouldn't even bother going. Hamburg and Bremen are a lot more fun.

Hostel is well located for Rudolfplatz and trains to the Altstadt and Dom. Rooms are small but comfortable. Lockers are provided. The guest kitchen in the basement is adequate. I like Meininger and try to stay here when I visit Cologne but in the weekend it was very expensive so I had to stay elsewhere. During the week it is good value.

Our 4 bed dorm was more like an 8 bed dorm...there was a door between the two rooms that was useless because everyone needed to use the same entrance and bathroom in the room.

Guest kitchen was great, staff lovely and helpful, bed comfy! Could have done with locks in the lockers in the bedrooms. Also if you're looking for a party atmosphere hostel this isn't the one. Nice and quiet and wakavle distance to train!

It is quite close to the tram station. Clean inside the dorm. But not every bed has a plug to charge which is quite inconvenient. I was staying in a 8people dorm. But it seems like many people are drinking in the street which make me feel insecure as people can just walk in the hostel easily. Unluckily i got some disturbing and noisy roommates who are not respecting the others, the staff was nice and help me changed to another room.

This was ideal for me and 7 mates on a 'lads holiday'! We used it as basically somewhere to sleep and shower. None of us could fault the price, we would never have got a hotel at a cheaper price. The staff were great with all of us and treat us well. Location wise - Around the corner from a good student area and a strip of bars/pubs. 20 minute walk to the centre where the majority of places are. About 15-20 minutes in the other direction takes you to a cluster of nightclubs etc.

• 4th Jun 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Good location. Rooms and facilities are a bit run down

The staff was friendly. The room was good. The location is near an area with a lot of bars and restaurants. The walk to the Cathedral is a decent one but it allows you to see a bunch of the city. I went to the Cathedral two days in a row by foot so its not that bad. The common area was empty all 3 days that I stayed there. The breakfast was pretty amazing. The first two mornings I walked down the street to a cafe but the third morning I ate at the hostel and was very impressed.

it's always a pleasure to stay at meininger cologne. it is quiet, comfortable and close to shops and transportation at rudolfplatz. it is good value except when there are special events in the city, then the prices can get crazy. staff are friendly and helpful. they have a nice bar/common room and good wifi. breakfast room is nice but too expensive.

Lady at the desk was super friendly and nice. Rooms were nice. Breakfast was good. Good location. No lockers.

Dear Guest we are very thankful for your rating and recommendation regarding lockers. In our shared rooms we do offer lockers, you get padlocks against deposit at our 24h reception. You also can rent a safetybox on your own against small deposit to store valuebals. If you stay with Meininger again, no matter where... let us know if you need such stuff to make your stay even more comfortable.

Atmosphere was a little flat. The place was full of school kids, that may explain the absence of adults. The kitchen was below ground in the laundry. Otherwise, it did the job. Ok if you just want to check in and check out.

Dear Guest we thank you for giving feedback to Meininger Hotel Cologne. we hope you had a good stay despite the mentioned atmosphere in the property. we always try to get every guest together sharing a good time, maybe meet us again someday.

not the best meininger, not enough powerpoints in the room, didnt tell us about the free walking tour ect. But still a great hostel - worth a stay.

Hi thanks so much for rating Meininger Hotel Cologne. hope to welcome you again someday.

Everything was fine, just a bit too expensive to be a hostel.

Hey, thank you very much for giving feedback to Meininger Hotel Cologne . We hope to welcome you again soon.

Staff were very friendly and helpful however the hostel did not have much atmosphere. Not a good place to meet people, but it was very clean and tidy. If you're looking to meet people it may be best to try somewhere else, but if you want a quiet time then this is the place!

Thank you very much for rating us. Next time visiting cologne just ask our 24h reception staff for recommending spots nearby as the hostel is within the students area where you find good spots day and night. Our 24h guestkitchen und bar is aswell always a nice place to meet up.

A terrible experience. I booked 3 nights. The first night was ok. The second day, there was a guy in the room that was stinking extremely(a beggar or something similar). Beside the widely opened window it was impossible to stay in the room.On my request they changed the room. In the new room there was an other guy that was smoking in the room and wathing tv with a sound on until 1 o'clock in the morning. The guy didn't want to turn off the sound and the girl from reception didn't do anything...

Dear Guest Thank you very much for giving feedback regarding your stay with Meininger Cologne. we always try to be there for all guests by offering 24h reception service. As there is always something to improve we are really thankfull for your rating.

Good location

• 1st May 2015
  • Portugal

We just spent one night, so it wasn't terrible! The beds were comfortable. Downsides: the lockers were in poor shape (they also only fit baggage locks and not normal size lock), and the bathroom had a few issues. The bathroom soap dispenser was broken and as a result there was soap all over and the bathroom door handle was broken right off- you could stick it back in to open or shut the door but had to grab it off the floor first. Awkward! Staff were nice and overall it worked for the one night!

Very friendly staff at reception, helped to give the hostel a good vibe even early in the mornings.

« first « Prev 1 2 3