MEININGER Cologne City Center Reviews

Engelbertstrasse 33-35, Cologne, Germany

The only thing I didn't like was the lift which I could hear in my room although I was fer away, very noisy and annoying. Apart from this I highly recommend this place!!! Great staff, especially Alex Zimmer and I loved the breakfast!!!

We stayed in a 8-bed dorm which was separated into two rooms with the bathroom in our room, connected to the outside door. This wouldn't have been a problem if the doors didn't close so damn loud. Every single time someone opened a door, I woke up. Drove me absolutely nuts along with the spotty wifi. Other than that, the room was clean, comfortable bed, nice staff.

The internet connection was very slow and intermitent, but if you want to check the city this a good place to stay, since it is between the centre and Sülz. Best thing? Very friendly staff!

• 1st Apr 2014
  • Portugal

Some of the staff cannot speak English well. But they are kind to help Location is a bit far, though fair enough for the price. Biggest problem is with WiFi. It is too unstable. Besides, the bathroom is a bit stuck.

- I was lucky to stay in a 4 - bed room alone. I think the room would have been too small for 4 people in total. - Good breakfast and clean facilities - There are quite many nice bars, cafes and restaurants close to the hostel. - This is a nice place to stay

Thanks for your comment! You gotta just love that breakfast!! ;)

great place - great Hostel and also Hotel - It is very much worth staying at. Great staff - clean and proper facilities. Very nice and clean kitchen for the travellers/guests.

We appreciate your sharing of your experience in our hotel hostel!! Its always satisfying to know about people who find their experience here so pleasurable!! Thank you again sharing it with us and others!! See you next time! :)

The hostel locate not so far from Central Station and bus/metro stops. But it takes few time to find it on the first time. Our room was ensuite and the bathroom was so warm and clean. The girls on reception helps with advices and were very friendly. The hostel offer breakfast for discount price. It includes cereal, sandwiches, cheese, several kinds of sausages, fruits, eggs, vegetables, pickles, tea, coffee, juices, which is value for money We really enjoyed our stay

This was a nice hostel. I am a girl that stayed in a mixed room for two nights. I believe that even in mixed rooms they try to separate the men and women. The first night I stayed in a room with all guys (because I believe they thought I was a guy b/c of my name) but the second night all of the guys were replaced with women. I don't know if this was chance or arranged, but either way, I felt safe. The room and bathroom were of good quality and everything was clean. The staff were helpful.

• 13th Mar 2014

Thanks for your comment!! We try to provide as safe and comfortable experience as possible for our guests. We thank you for the appreciation. See you next time :)

Top Hostel! Very good price for value!

Thanks!! We try to provide as much great service and facilities as possible for the price. We are very happy you noticed!! Thanks for your comment!!

We found a sausage on a bed and the room was not really clean.

Sorry to hear you found a sausage in your bed. That is not a common occurence and hope that the experience didnt leave a bad taste in your mouth about our property. Thank you for your honest comment.

One of the best hostels I stay in! I like the guest kitchen and it is wonderful that it is located near Lidl supermarket. The staff was wonderful and friendly too. And the room was very clean as the room are meant for hotel with your own private toilet in the room! Wow!

We are very happy that your stay with us was so awesome!! Thank you for sharing it with us and others!! Till next time!! :)

Good locationn - nr bars etc and easy to walk or get a tram and ubahn to the city. clean rooms and nice staff

Thanks for leaving us a comment!! We are happy that we were able to satisfy you on your stay with us!!

No lockers in the bedroom. The shared 4-bed dorm room was very tight, nowhere to really put your bag except under the bed. BUT the linen was clean, beds were comfy, bathrooms were well furnished and enough space. Hostel staff were very lovely, friendly and helpful. Location was a bit far from the main train station (25 minute walk or you can do it in 10-15 mins with a tram and a train) but the area surrounding is nice and good for nightlife. Overall I would recommend for the price.

• 22nd Feb 2014

Wi-Fi is not to good!!!

I was very disappointed with my stay here. I spent a week at the Meininger in Brussels and thought it the best hostel I ever stayed in. When I spontaneously booked my trip to Cologne, I was excited that I was going to spend my time at the Meininger. However, what I arrived to was no where near what I expected. The place looked, smelled, and felt dirty. Every bathroom smelled terrible like the smell was engraved permanently in that room. The bar had such a dead atmosphere. Staff was nice though.

Staff is very kind and helpful!!! This hostel is very cozy except the kitchen is alway dirty... But I really enjoy staying!!!

Thanks for the feedback!! Come back and visit us anytime!!

the staff is very helpful! but the next day the shower is broken so we cannot take a shower and the washing base is leaking..

Thanks for your comment! we are sorry about the shower we try to find solutions to problems as soon as they are brought to out attention!

The lift was quite unreliable and the internet was very slow. The location is very good and the staff were quite friendly.

• 31st Dec 2013

Thanks for your comment! We are very proud of our staff! Without them we would just be a nice hotel!

I had a big problem with my reservation, and no one tried to help me out. I dont recommend that Hostel at all

Thanks for your comment! We will work on being more sensitive to reservation issues. Thank you for bringing that to out attention!

A excellent hostel located super close to the city center, it only takes 5-6 mins and you'll be able to find almost every shops that you're looking for, from clothes to restaurants. The staff are extremely welcoming and friendly, they can help you with all sorts of questions and problems!

• 26th Dec 2013

Thanks for your feedback! we are happy that you enjoyed and appreciated your time with us. Come back anytime!