MEININGER Cologne City Center Reviews

Engelbertstrasse 33-35, Cologne, Germany

1969 Total Reviews

I had to drop in this hostel for one night, it was OK. The staff was friendly and helpful, but everything seemed a bit tight and cramped. I stayed in a 4 Bed Mixed Dorm which had a bunkbed and two singles. Not much space to move around or open your bag, no lockers. The ensuite bathroom was convenient, but not very clean. We were awaken in the middle of the night by a staff member who discovered that two of our roommates had brought-in some boys they picked up (probably in a bar). Awkward!

There was an issue with my room, the staff was really nice and accommodated me! Only stayed one night but it seemed like a good hostel, also they have amazing showers!

The only problem I had with this establishment were the on site laundry facilities. It cost me 5 euros to have my clothes drenched and then steamed to the point of burning my hands when the came out of the dryer. They need to either replace or repair both washer and dryer. Do yourself a favor and get your laundry done at a local laundromat.

The location of the hostel is good, though it's a bit difficult to find it the first time. But it's near many bars and places. Not so close to the Dom and Hauptbahnhof on foot. The staff was also good and nice. The only problem was at the room. We stayed in a dorm for eight people. My bed was so close to the ceiling, I had to crawl to get to my pillow. Who pays even 18€ to get a sleep like that? This Meininger was clearly not as good as the others.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Greece

Staff are very friendly.

Just an average hostel, nothing bad that sticks out in mind but nothing great either.

The hostel itself was good, it was within walking distance from the main centre and the train station. The staff were polite and gave some good advice on things to do whilst in Cologne and the surrounding area. Unfortunately someone in our room decided to smoke in the ensuite which affected the cleanliness of our stay. The rest of the hostel seemed ok though.

Dear guest, thanks a lot for the review and rating. We are sorry to hear that someone smoked inside, we are act. very much against it and do a lot to prevent. We are really sorry but hope you had a great time in Cologne. Many greetings

We had a lovely stay here for two nights - staff were very friendly and welcoming at all times, and the common area was very comfortable and had plenty of powerpoints (as did the room). We were in an 8-bed dorm, where there is a door separating 4 beds in each room, and an ensuite bathroom. It was lovely and quiet when we wanted to sleep. Our dormmates were also really friendly and considerate. Supermarket & bakery just around the corner. Recommended for a nice stay in Cologne!

Overall we were very pleased with the accommodation, the hostel provided everything we expected.

JEAN PAUL IS MY HERO

Hi, ok thanks we will tell him we are sure he will remember. Many Greetings from Cologne

If you are a party goer or student looking for a simple and affordable place to stay, this might be a good choice. But if you are more picky about the noice level and does not speak enough German to get around, I would suggest paying a bit more for a better reviewed hostel.

• 21st Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

Hi, thank you very much for the review and rating. Your MEININGER Team

The bedroom was a little bit small, but full of hangers and shelves to accommodate personal things, which were really helpful. The best thing about this place is the staff, extremely helpful and sympathetic, and the second best is the breakfast, pretty fair for it's price.

This hostel was a little hit and miss. My first room (4 bed, mixed) was tiny, depressing, dirty and with flimsy metal beds. The shower was all clogged which meant standing in a few centimetres of water - so I waited until my next accommodation to use a shower! The second room (4 bed, female) was nicer with more room, a nice bathroom. One of the staff members was very rude, but then the others were nice. Compared to the other hostels I stayed at in Cologne - it wasn't that bad.

Dear guest, thank you very much for the open words. We will talk to our cleaning staff to start a quality discussion. Please be sure we take it serious and will do better next time. Your MEININGER Cologne Team

Room number 10 was not pleasant at all. For that room, just for a bed was too expensive. It may have been busy time or the city is expensive, however I have seen many better places with much more reasonable prices.

Dear, thanks for the open words, we apologize for all inconvenience caused and we will take this review to our meetings to talk about and see what we can do next time. Please be sure we take this serious and will point out actions of the comment. Your MEININGER Team.

Best value for money of any hostel in Cologne. Very central with fabulously helpful staff! Would happily stay again.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Dear guest, thanks for the really nice comment and rating. Many Greetings from MEININGER Cologne

Better Wifi in Rooms.

• 9th Sep 2014
  • Greece

Dear, thank you very much for your comment and really good rating. We hope to see you back here or any other MEININGER in Europe Your Meininger Team

It had bedbugs, and initially the staff didn't seem concerned. not okay at all. I am thankful that they moved me to a nicer room and one of the staff- the woman who spoke Hebrew- was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. Also there were no lockers in the room, and very very little space in the 4 person dorm. I would not stay there again.

Dear guest, thanks for your comment, our staff forwarded the hint to our Manager in the hotel and we checked the room. We are sorry that the stay caused this inconvenience but please be sure we do care about this issue and are concerned, as you wrote. Thanks again for your comment nice greetings from Cologne

Everything was good. Some beds lean strong to the squeaky side, though. Walkable distance to the HBF and lots of bars and restaurants close by. Linen included was nice. This is common with nearly all hostels, but a suggestion would be to install small shelves right below changing points in dorms so guests can rest devices whilst they are charging.

Dear guest, thank you very much for the note and rating. We will use your comments for the planed renovation works in the rooms. Thanks for the advise. Many Greetings from Cologne Your MEININGER Team

Great location - great staff - luved it

Hi, thanks very much for the nice great rating and note. Hope to see you here again or any other MEININGER Hotel in Europe. Your MEININGER Team

Congratulations to everyone