MEININGER Cologne City Center Reviews

Engelbertstrasse 33-35, Cologne, Germany

Staff were very friendly and helpful however the hostel did not have much atmosphere. Not a good place to meet people, but it was very clean and tidy. If you're looking to meet people it may be best to try somewhere else, but if you want a quiet time then this is the place!

A terrible experience. I booked 3 nights. The first night was ok. The second day, there was a guy in the room that was stinking extremely(a beggar or something similar). Beside the widely opened window it was impossible to stay in the room.On my request they changed the room. In the new room there was an other guy that was smoking in the room and wathing tv with a sound on until 1 o'clock in the morning. The guy didn't want to turn off the sound and the girl from reception didn't do anything...

We just spent one night, so it wasn't terrible! The beds were comfortable. Downsides: the lockers were in poor shape (they also only fit baggage locks and not normal size lock), and the bathroom had a few issues. The bathroom soap dispenser was broken and as a result there was soap all over and the bathroom door handle was broken right off- you could stick it back in to open or shut the door but had to grab it off the floor first. Awkward! Staff were nice and overall it worked for the one night!

Very friendly staff at reception, helped to give the hostel a good vibe even early in the mornings.

Really decent hostel that is more like a hotel than hostel. Lacks in the atmosphere and social aspect because of it though. Very clean and enough space. Though on further inspection I'm not entirely sure how clean the kitchen actually is- surfaces all clean but look any further than that and it was quite grimy which was a bit offputting. It's a 25-30 min easy walk to the main station/Dom which is okay. Shame I ended up sharing my dorm with 7 partying lads- sure they, or I, could have been moved.

Great location, nice staff and good, clean rooms. Would defo recommend

• 17th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

my third time staying here and always good. the rooms are clean and comfortable! not too far from the Hbf on the tram and very good location for what I needed.

The specific room I stayed, 4 bed room, it should be a maximum of 3 beds. The bed that I stayed was by far the worst the less comfortable of the room. If it would be only 3 beds, the quality of the room would be much higher. Thats the only thing I have to complain. Everything else was fine.

For me, this doesn't really look like a hostel. It's a nice place, but not for a traveller to hang out and meet other people. The staff was polite but no more. We didn't get any tips to visit the city, we weren't shown the place properly either. I didn't feel welcome. I didn't feel the atmosphere of a hostel. There was no one at the bar to serve customers, which made it hard to get a drink in order to chill out in the common room...

The wrong directions to the hostel were given so it took us three hours and unnecessary metro and taxi journeys to find it. I have emailed Meininger about this but have not yet received a reply.

• 1st Apr 2015

Really the only bad thing about the place was that some of lockers were broken.

• 29th Mar 2015

The hostel was really nice, and the staff were friendly too. I think the breakfast could be cheaper, but the other services of the hostel was OK. I felt really comfortable in this place.

the hostel is more like a hotel, everything was clean, well kept, the staff was friendly and helpful...

Another meininger hostel that i did not like! The location was far from the cathedral! The bathroom was smelling old pee! It has no other people to interact! Also the staff was kind of rude! At least the internet worked in the room (the only meininger that worked)! The bed was not made so i came late and had to do my bed! Did not have place to put travel bag!

Thanks to the helpful and smiling staff. The Rooms were little bit small but warm in atmosphere. I liked the location which is so close to everywhere.

Very freindly staff,nice people

The staff were too kind, even after a regrettable and shame filled incident after drinking wayyy too much. loved staying in this place.

An average hostel which i would't choose being a large group. Not much space for a larger group to hang in.

Outstanding! Close to Aldi, Netto, Rewe and not far away from other attractions/city center. Room had just 2 bedbunks and in suite large shower/toilet. Nice, helpful staff, elevator, kitchen, luggage room, and even free shoe polishing machine made my day! Definitelly would stay again!

The hostel is nicely located, easy to find and have al the elements to be a good hostel. There was only one thing ( they could not help it in a way, but I would like to mention it ): the recommitted place to park my car was close by, cheap and easy to find. however someone broke in to my car during the weekend. It did not effect my stay in the hoste at al, good hostel! I will come back someday.

• 20th Feb 2015