MEININGER London Hyde Park Reviews

at Baden Powell House, 65-67 Queen's Gate, London, England

It was an excellent place with nice staff who were aways helpful; the facilities were great.

• 28th Dec 2013
  • Mexico

Expensive for a twelve bed dorm, but perhaps only due to the time of year (over new year and the first week of January). Bathrooms got quite dirty, not sure how regularly they were cleaned but this would only depend on the cleanliness of your dorm-mates. Otherwise an acceptable hostel.

• 27th Dec 2013

Hi there, Thank you for leaving such a nice comment. You are right, prices during Christmas and New Years are quite higher than normal. Please try the low season some time:) All our rooms and bathrooms are cleaned daily, shared showers on the corridors twice a day. We hope you enjoyed your stay here and like to inform you we have many other Meiningers around Europe:) Have a nice day! Warm regards, Meininger London

When I visited they were not allowed to serve alcohol, which would have been nice to know prior to booking. I think that it was a temporary issue, but it would have really added to my enjoyment of the trip. Common area, you could bring in food, it was clean, good wi-fi connection, lots of windows. Fantastic choice if you are looking to visit museums. I could see if there was a line at the Natural History Museum right from the window of my floor. Fairly close to transportation.

The rooms are clean and okay and the staff is friendly. But the en-suite bathrooms are tiny and you can literally touch all 4 walls sitting on the toilet. So of course the bathroom is a mess when you’re the last one to shower and if you’re the first one you’ll wake up everyone bec. of paper thin walls. Another thing is, that there is only one big lamp on the ceiling, no individual lights beside the beds & no curtains on the beds. So if you can’t sleep with light on, better bring a sleeping mask!

• 21st Dec 2013

Hi, Thank you for leaving your comment here! We agree our bathrooms are very small but also multifunctional, brushing teeth and going to the toilet at the same time, all is possible! :) Most of our rooms are equipped with individual lights now but we also have small clip on lights to rent at reception, maybe for next time! Kind regards, Meininger London

Always pleasant staff, secure drawers for belongings and always have "those things you forgot" for you to purchase, my only down point is the bunks are bit short for my 6ft self :)

• 10th Dec 2013
  • Wales

Hi, Thank you for such a nice comment. As we are travellers our selves, we know how frustrating it can be to forget those essential products...:) Hope to see you again at Meininger!

Decent location, short walk to the tube and Harrods just down the road. Staff were nice and approachable. Good place to sit down and use the wifi or listen to music and read. Room and bathroom were clean throughout my stay. Loved the big lift!

The location is good and the building is nice. However, there were stray hairs on my bedding and the bathrooms in the room were small and not very clean. Also, because of poor weather, my travel into London was delayed a day, but I was told I would be charged for the first night even when I couldn't make it. I understand the need for a policy like that, but frustrating that no exceptions were made when the circumstances were beyond my control. A total of £35 for one night? Not worth it.

Hi, Thanks for leaving your comment here! We are sorry to hear your room wasn't properly cleaned when you arrived. We strive to get that better next time. As a hotel we are unfortunately not able to take all the circumstances into consideration that our guests encounter whilst traveling as they are out of our control too. This is where travel insurances step in and we would like to advise you to get one of these next time. Have a nice day!!

Clean and easy. They were very accommodating with me leaving luggage there a day early and with a late-night check-in. Great value for money when you book well in advance.

Thank you so much for the good rating :) hope to see you soon again here, your M team

If hostel has kitchen for cooking, it's convenient.

Thanks for your helpful comment! We would love to have a guest kitchen and hope to achieve this in the future:) Have a nice day! Meininger London

Very nice and cosy hostel. Could have more facilities in the kitchen

• 3rd Dec 2013
  • Portugal

Hi, Thanks for commenting here! Unfortunately we don't have a kitchen for guests at all but maybe in the future:) Have a wonderful day! Warm regards Meininger

Really enjoyed my stay here. It is right next door to the natural history museum, down the road from a tube station (which has a line direct to Heathrow) and has awesome staff (Justin the kiwi and the lovely girl from Vienna)! The bathrooms are extremely small and collect hair better than a psycho killer however are generally clean (depend who you follow after). What it lacks in intimacy and cosiness it makes up in for reasonable price and sweet location.

My experience at the hostel was pleasant. The staff was friendly, helpful,accommodating during my stay. After staying at many hostels in the UK this hostel was certainly the best thus far. There was a quiet and relaxing atmosphere overall, and the building itself was very secure The location of the hostel was minutes away from great museums, the tube, and only a short distance away from a great bakery. The only downside was the slightly unclean restrooms but my experience was good overall.

• 29th Nov 2013

Wow - thanks for the good rating!!! Please join us on Facebook :) Cheers, your M team

A good clean and catering moved into the communial area would help.

Hi, Thank you for your helpful comment! We are not sure what you mean with catering in the communal area? Our communal area is mostly considered our lobby since we have plenty of seats and serve drinks and snacks here as well. Our hotel is cleaned daily and all rooms are cleaned every morning and early afternoon. In case of anything still dirty, we appreciate the information during your stay so we can help and fix it. Sometimes dirty room-mates don't help either:) Regards,M

The hostel is located in a really great part of the city the metro (south Kensington) is super easy to get to and will take you anywhere a tourist would go. The hostel is located in a nice building and has a decent lounge with a bar and seating but there are not many people my age to talk to. If you are 18-25 looking to have a good time This is not a place to meet people. The internet really sucked couldn't do any thing at all. The worst was bathrooms they only cleaned once over 5 days horrible.

• 19th Nov 2013

Thank you for the comment...sorry for the problems with the bathrooms, but our Housekeeping cleans them everyday, just report it to reception next time :) Hope to see you again, your M team

Everything all right. Clean and cute enviroment. If I have to say anything that was not Ok maybe it would be an unpolite worker that was in te reception during the night. The best thing: toilets really cleaned. The worst thing: none security for my luggage (the cupborad where I kept my baggage couldn't be locked. And the room where I kept my suitcase after check out... Everybody's cases were all together. Too easy to be stolen)

• 17th Nov 2013
  • Spain

Hey - thanks a lot for the nice comment! You can rent a padlock at reception for £5 deposit. And we also have small lockers at reception where you can store your personal things. Just let us know the next time...cheers your M team

I stayed in a 12-person room with a small bathroom. The shower space was tiny, the smallest I've seen in a hostel. But the rest was fine. 24-hour reception with very friendly staff.

• 16th Nov 2013
  • Portugal

Hey - thanks for your comment. Yep our bathrooms are small, but cozy "hahaha", but in this case we have 2 bathroomsin our 12 Bed Dorms...Hope to see you soon, cheers your M team

Apart from the female member of staff at night who sort of looked annoyed and placed my 2nd cup of water at the other side of the desk because i asked for a 2nd one if possible as the cup was so tiny. It was good. On floor 6 was a noise that started about 6am like a motorbike starting up over and over every 10 seconds but stopped on sunday and monday so i'm not sure what that was, it was near the lift anyway. Internet didn't really work on the 6th floor or the ground floor but did on the 1st.

The staff are excelent, beds are ok, one pillow, Bathrooms are TERRIBLE, tiles missing in toilet,Dirty showers/toilets, Excellent location. A little more attention to cleaning would make the staff a great hostel!

Hi, Thank you for leaving a comment here! Next time you encounter a dirty shower or toilet, please let us know so we can fix that for you. Our bathrooms and showers are cleaned twice a day but sometimes messy dorm guests don't keep it that clean. Maybe next time try a private room! :) We are happy to hear that despite the bathrooms you seemed to have enjoyed your stay here. Warm regards, Meininger London

Bathroom felt like I was on a plane and got crazy dirty really easy. The shower was horrendous: it was either scoulding hot or ice cold. Place had zero atmosphere but was secure and was decently located if you just wanted to catch an early tube to Heathrow. It has a small book exchange and very expensive Internet terminals. Hostel is mostly occupied by small children/scouts, which is concerning if you did not know and were terrified by small children.

I liked the place overall, however, bathroom is so small, and shower does not work well (water pressure is really low, temperature does not change well, like too hot or not hot at all). We could not use it early morning like 7-9 cuz it's inside the room And we don't wanted to let ppl wake up. but overall it's alright

Hi there, Thank you for your helpful comment! We are sure that people choosing to sleep in dorms are pretty used to waking up now and then so don't let that stop you next time:) Otherwise choose one of our basic dorms where you can use the showers on the corridors! Hope you enjoyed your stay here despite the showers and maybe see you again in one of our Meininger hotels! Cheers, Meininger London