Macanudo Hostel Reviews

Paysandú 889, Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay

No air conditioning in the shared room which was so very uncomfortably hot! Was tossing and turning all night. Bunk beds are unstable and make squeaking noises every time you move. No lockers in the shared rooms. Wouldn't recommend.

Hi Phillipa,thanks for your comment.Both the private and the 10 bed dorm have AC.There are fans available for the room you were in at reception and large lockers underneath all the beds,we are very surprised to hear you did not see them.These problems could have been solved easily if you had asked a member of staff.Regarding our beds,they are solid wood and less than a year old.We are sorry you did not enjoy your night with us and wish you the best for the rest of your trip. El Equipo Macanudo

one of the best hostels i stayed in so far. the rooftop terrace is simply perfect.

• 7th Nov 2014
  • Switzerland

Macanudo Hostel is a really nice place to stay, the house is lovely, everyone is nice, great atmosphere.

• 5th Nov 2014

It's a beautiful house, perfect environment. The only problem is that the spot isn't very safe, especially on weekends, when the city goes empty.

Hi Daniela, thanks for taking the time to give your feedback. We are very sorry for the incident that happened during your stay. It’s truly an unfortunate and rare event. Nonetheless, we would like to apologize as we usually warn guests to put their belongings out of sight while walking around the city. We hope you still enjoyed your stay in Montevideo and you are welcome to come back to Macanudo anytime. Kind regards, Sean, Bren & María

Nice Hostel, decent breakfast for an Hostel, Extremely fast Internet

thanks for a lovely stay, and for the beer on the roof! and for help with the TV! just a thought.. you need to be able to give a traveler a map when they arrive... never have i not been given one from a hostel.. if you cant get one from the tourist area can you not just make one yourself? thanks for making me feel at home!

One of the cleanest hostels we've stayed in, with a cool vibe and decor. Owned by two very helpful and friendly brothers from Ireland. Would definitely recommend Macanudo!

Beautifully restored and decorated old colonial building. very chilled relaxed atmosphere. Great common areas including roof terrace. I'd definitely stay here again.

The first two things I look for in a hostel is cleanliness and an awesome, helpful staff. I got both of those at Macanudo, in spades. It is also comfortable and beautiful, an old manor restored by the owners themselves. Every information I wanted, the looked it up for me, complete with directions and how much I'd spend. They speak Spanish and English, so language barriers did not exist. The bathrooms and living spaces were always clean which, to me, is the most important thing.

• 6th Oct 2014

All of the staff at the hostel were great. They went out of their way to make your stay there enjoyable and we're always available to make recommendations and assist with sights to see, places to eat and travel arrangements. The hostel was very clean and had very comfortable beds and plenty of room to store your belongings in the dorm rooms. I would definitely stay there again if I am back in Montevideo.

Close to the center of the city with a great kitchen to cook up all that great uruguayan steak. THe owner are great and will help you with anything and the atmosphere is so chilled I could have stayed way longer than I did. If you go to Montevideo stay here

Amazing! Loved the vibe, design, and staff. It's amazing to be in a place where the workers are the owners and actually care about the place. Great place to chill out for a few days and explore the city. Beautiful roof terrace, great kitchen, netflix, lots of space...loved it. One of the best in 9 months of SA.

Great hostel to stay at. Ended up staying a further 2 nights! The whole vibe in this place was superb from start to finish with excellent hosts!!! Highly reccomended staying here!!!!!

Great hostel - very clean, good beds, good breakfast, very friendly and helpful owners. Feels like home. Hope to be back some day.

• 27th Sep 2014

Staying at Macanudo was a dream come true. The whole essence of this hostel is incredible and the staff is incredible. I would not have preferred to stay anywhere else and if I'm returning to Montevideo I'll choose Macanudo above the rest. They even have a roof top hang out...A dream come true.

• 26th Sep 2014

Best hostel we've stayed in and Netflix was a great surprise. Thanks!!

This is a small and nice hostel in a beautiful buildning. Its very clean, good dorms, a nice roftop terass most of all friendly athmosphere and the best staff! The only thing I disliked was that the street it was on felt a bit sketchy when arived in the evening.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Perfect place to stay. The staff are great guys and have obviously put alot of work into the building, which is a real highlight. Don't have any doubts, when in Montevideo stay at Macanudo.

Beautiful hostel and the most amazing staff! I was sick all week there and they really took care of me, like really! Very nice Irish brothers indeed, they really care about the guests here. Felt well looked after, they are passionate about what they do and really go out of their way for the guests. It's also incredibly clean and the interior design is really something else, very South American, great colours! Chilled vibe, highly recommended! This hostel is TOP! :)

One of the best hostels I've stayed in, in 6+ months of travelling. Staff are super friendly and helpful, and it's a very comfortable hostel.