Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

The employees at this hostel are fabulous. They're very friendly and helpful. I appreciated their kindness. There were only 2 small lockers in a dorm for 4 people, however. I was able to have one of them, but 2 of my roommates weren't so lucky. On a really negative note, the gentlemen in the dorm next to ours came home drunk at 3:30 in the morning and were obnoxiously loud for about an hour. Otherwise, the place was great.

Cheap and cheerful

• 18th Jul 2015

Lovely place just off the center of Kilkenny. Clean and staff was very nice. Will defiantly be back! Thanks!

• 17th Jul 2015

The staff was very informative and friendly. The wifi was fast and I liked the parking on the street nearby.

Great hostel. Friendly vibe. Clean, bright. Good location. Very nice staff. Big rooms, comfy beds.

This hostel is quite nice. There's a nice common room, the kitchen was well equipped, the bathrooms were kept clean but there could have been more of them, and the staff were really nice. It is a bit out of the city centre, but it still only takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the castle. I did see a mouse twice, but I guess that just comes with the territory of old buildings. Altogether I had a nice stay.

Had a thouroughly enjoyable weekend in Kilkenny while staying at Macgabhanns Backpacker Hostel recently

Great hostel with great staff. Always enjoy staying here when in Kilkenny.

Extremely friendly staff, knowledgeable about the town and sites to see! Thank you for the great stay! Had a 6 person dorm all to ourselves

Highly Recommended. This is a small/medium sized hostel in good a location for sightseeing and pubs. The staff were great!

The atmosphere is very nice as you meet lots of young people that are staying there or that work there. We would definitely recommend it to (young) travelers that need a cheap but great place to stay around Kilkenny for a short time. You feel like you are at home straight when you walk in the door.

• 4th Jul 2015

It's a grand hostel. No real problems as such, but I won't be booking again. Not a place to stay if you want a few pre-drinks before you head out. Silence is expected, we were told to turn off our music at half 9. Location isn't great either. Also being asked if you're on Tinder when you arrive is creepy.

Glad to see you found our hostel to be good and that it had no real problems. We have no issue with our guests enjoying a few drinks and listening to music in the kitchen, common room or even in our garden up until 11pm but playing loud music and drinking in the bedrooms is not excepted out of courtesy for our other guests. We had to 'google' to find out what Tinder was as none of us here were familiar with that app! Happy travels. MacGabhainns Crew

As first stay in a hostel, I'm happy I chose this. Nice atmosphere with good people and friendly staff. Apart from the room that was maybe a bit small and the kitchen that opens only at 8 am, everything was perfect. Free plenty breakfast, living room, only few minutes out from the city centre, when you arrive they give you a map of the city and show you the places of interest, kitchen with all stuff you need. I would definitely reccomend it.

Very helpful staff, friendly atmosphere, great central location.

• 3rd Jul 2015

Great place with a homey feel and awesome staff. A bit close quarters, but we came on the weekend, so that's expected with everyone coming and going.

The staff were really friendly and the rooms were nice, great people. The only thing I didn't like was it was out of the way a bit from the centre.

great staff was a good quiet night stay

Great place with very friendly staff. Free breakfast and tea in the mornings. The location is right at the top of town so you can walk everywhere you need easily.

Absolutely wonderful, friendly, cozy vibe. A really great place to meet other travellers. One of the staff members took us and several other guests out to a few pubs. I had a really lovely time in Kilkenny and will be back!

• 23rd Jun 2015

This was a nice, relaxed place: the staff is friendly but not actually dynamic. Still, a cozy little place that I'd recommend to anyone not too fussy going through Kilkenny.

« first « Prev 1 2 3