Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

This is one of the greatest hostels ive stayed in ireland!! Great team working there, the kitchen is fully loaded and full breakfast is supplied!! Loved my stay here, close to everything in town, dont think about it, just book it!!

Great atmosphere with excellent facilities and friendly staff. Easy walk to all main attractions, pubs, eateries and a grocery store. Also had available on-street free parking. Felt very safe and comfortable. Would definitely return and recommend.

The staff and some of the people staying there were really nice. We picked a bad night to be there as it was the Saturday before St. Patrick's day and between 3-4 in the morning (I'm assuming after the pubs closed) there was a lot of shouting, door slamming, people walking up and down the halls etc and it was REALLY loud! Other than that it was a great experience.

• 14th Mar 2015

Staff were warm and welcoming, really cared and went out of thier way consistently. Showers were hot with good pressure and stayed that way. Bathrooms were remarkably clean for a hostel, every time. Matresses were tired, beds were squeaky and rickety; bedside power, lights, hooks, shelves would make a big improvement. The value is definitely there and I would stay again and recommend the place. They were doing some improvements even as I was leaving. They care, and you can tell. Thanks guys.

Friendly staff! Felt very welcome as we arrived. Nice hangout area and clean kitchen. Great security with code locks on the doors. Only downside was the cold showers. Had a really nice stay.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Sweden

Great place to stay. Really close to the main attractions. Extremely clean with comfortable facilities and a friendly and very helpful staff.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Ecuador

the breakfast can be improved

• 17th Feb 2015

Had a great stay at Macgabhainns! The staff were absolutely fantastic!

The hostel was ok - no parking. The guy when we checked in insisted that we pay cash.... which wasn't professional as the machine was infront of him! The next morning a very rude woman started shouted into the room telling us to get out as it was after 10.30...the beds were awkward to get up on.

• 14th Feb 2015

Glad you think our hostel is ok. As our website states parking is free from 5pm to 10 am and free at weekends, outside these times costs €2 per day. One of your group wanted to pay for everybody by cash, sorry we should have taken yours part by credit. We are very apologetic for our crew telling your group to get up but it was 11.45am. Happy travel MacGabhainns crew

Very nice hostel, not far away from Kilkenny Castle and Smithwick's Brewery. There is also a lovely kitchen and living room, it's very cosy - we had a lot of fun and met some nice and friendly people! :)

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Austria

Very nice place. Quiet and clean.

Everything was really nice. I'd stay there again.

• 9th Jan 2015
  • recarreira

Hot water in showers needs to be sorted. Better security on bedroom doors.

The free breakfast was cereal and toast. The rooms had no lockers. The outdated button code locks were worrysome and the location was slightly confusing to get to if you're driving as it's easy to miss (4 of us in the car, and we drove past it 3 times. Beds were clean, but a bit hard and showers/toilets were fine. We were however greeted by a nice man who was also there to see us off the next morning. Not a horrible experience, just needs a tune up there.

Thanks for your positive feedback on our backpacker hostel, just to clarify we have lockers under every bed, our code lock system is very secure and our location is right beside St Canices Cathedral in the centre of Kilkenny city. Happy travel MacGabhainns crew.

The hostel was about a 10 minute walk from the castle, and right around the corner from the medieval/shopping area! Rooms were a little small, but the staff were very accommodating (gave is extra comforters, a heater, etc) overall a pretty nice place!

We had an absolutely lovely stay with Macgabhainns. The staff were lovely and gave us lots of tips of what to see and do in Kilkenny. I can't have imagined a better place to stay. We'll be back.

Owner was really kind and despite having booked a two-bed room with private bathroom he gave me a four-bed room with private bed all for me :) . Since I always went out to eat something I didn't use the kitchen, but he showed me a lot of things I could eat for free anyway. Location is greatand I really had a perfect stay,thank you!

really nice hostel with a homely atmosphere! only problem was that the room was very dark so we had to take the lampshade off but otherwise enjoyed our stay here and will be coming back :)

Great Hostel in the heart of Kilkenny. The staff was really nice and they have toast and cereal for you in the morning. The room was a great. We booked a 3 bed (1 double, 2 singles) with a bathroom and it was very affordable. The doors are all code protected, which is great but I felt a little uncomfortable leaving my passport and camera inside the room since it would be easy to hear the someone giving out the code. I would recommend bringing a lock, they have metal lock boxes under the bed.

Clean, hot water in showers, great location...the only thing that could be better were the noisy doors in the rooms, so you could hear everyone coming in or out the room