Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

Great place to stay. Really close to the main attractions. Extremely clean with comfortable facilities and a friendly and very helpful staff.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Ecuador

the breakfast can be improved

• 17th Feb 2015

Had a great stay at Macgabhainns! The staff were absolutely fantastic!

The hostel was ok - no parking. The guy when we checked in insisted that we pay cash.... which wasn't professional as the machine was infront of him! The next morning a very rude woman started shouted into the room telling us to get out as it was after 10.30...the beds were awkward to get up on.

• 14th Feb 2015

Glad you think our hostel is ok. As our website states parking is free from 5pm to 10 am and free at weekends, outside these times costs €2 per day. One of your group wanted to pay for everybody by cash, sorry we should have taken yours part by credit. We are very apologetic for our crew telling your group to get up but it was 11.45am. Happy travel MacGabhainns crew

Very nice hostel, not far away from Kilkenny Castle and Smithwick's Brewery. There is also a lovely kitchen and living room, it's very cosy - we had a lot of fun and met some nice and friendly people! :)

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Austria

Very nice place. Quiet and clean.

Everything was really nice. I'd stay there again.

• 9th Jan 2015
  • recarreira

Hot water in showers needs to be sorted. Better security on bedroom doors.

The free breakfast was cereal and toast. The rooms had no lockers. The outdated button code locks were worrysome and the location was slightly confusing to get to if you're driving as it's easy to miss (4 of us in the car, and we drove past it 3 times. Beds were clean, but a bit hard and showers/toilets were fine. We were however greeted by a nice man who was also there to see us off the next morning. Not a horrible experience, just needs a tune up there.

Thanks for your positive feedback on our backpacker hostel, just to clarify we have lockers under every bed, our code lock system is very secure and our location is right beside St Canices Cathedral in the centre of Kilkenny city. Happy travel MacGabhainns crew.

The hostel was about a 10 minute walk from the castle, and right around the corner from the medieval/shopping area! Rooms were a little small, but the staff were very accommodating (gave is extra comforters, a heater, etc) overall a pretty nice place!

We had an absolutely lovely stay with Macgabhainns. The staff were lovely and gave us lots of tips of what to see and do in Kilkenny. I can't have imagined a better place to stay. We'll be back.

Owner was really kind and despite having booked a two-bed room with private bathroom he gave me a four-bed room with private bed all for me :) . Since I always went out to eat something I didn't use the kitchen, but he showed me a lot of things I could eat for free anyway. Location is greatand I really had a perfect stay,thank you!

really nice hostel with a homely atmosphere! only problem was that the room was very dark so we had to take the lampshade off but otherwise enjoyed our stay here and will be coming back :)

Great Hostel in the heart of Kilkenny. The staff was really nice and they have toast and cereal for you in the morning. The room was a great. We booked a 3 bed (1 double, 2 singles) with a bathroom and it was very affordable. The doors are all code protected, which is great but I felt a little uncomfortable leaving my passport and camera inside the room since it would be easy to hear the someone giving out the code. I would recommend bringing a lock, they have metal lock boxes under the bed.

Clean, hot water in showers, great location...the only thing that could be better were the noisy doors in the rooms, so you could hear everyone coming in or out the room

Awesome place to stay. We'd love to go there again!

Not a bad hostel, good location. We were in room 6 and it was explained to us that we would be moving to room 3 in the morning. No problem, didn't mind doing this at all. The next morning, the cleaning lady knocked once on our door and without waiting for an answer simply barged in and asked us to move. " Ok" we thought that was a bit rude....only for her to do the same thing 5 mins later! The room we were moved to was in bad need of a clean and the bedclothes for the double bed were grubby

• 14th Nov 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I loved Macgabhainns. Cosiest and friendliest hostel I've encountered thus far. Lovely sitting area, with a wood fireplace and an excellent selection of vintage movies (Men in Black, anyone?). The staff are friendly, kind and informative, and the kitchen is fully stocked. Has the feeling of a lived-in home.

• 14th Nov 2014

Fergus very helpful & obliging,.as was the owner. There are temporary staff who just seemed to do what they have to., some don't speak English well. Having the kitchen & lounge locked at 11.30pm, you couldn't get a drink or do anything else if you couldn't sleep. Locked out of these areas till 8am, not good for early risers.

• 5th Nov 2014

Staff was super friendly and helpful. The kitchen was always clean and everyone was respectful of individuals food. It was a cozy hostel where you could meet and chat with people next to a wood/coal burning fire. However at times, our dorm room door wouldn't always lock.