Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

Only one gripe about my room...there was an emergency exit door in my room and after coming back after a few hours, found that the door was slightly open with no one in the room - thankfully no belongings in there!

• 11th Apr 2015

Comfy beds Very friendly staff The 2 dogs are adorable :)

• 10th Apr 2015

Loved My Stay Here, Would Reccomend Anyone stopping in Kilkenny to Stay at Macgabhainn's! There are outlets in the bed, showers were great and warm, breakfast was good! Only slight issue was staying in the all female dorm the wifi is good but not great! But never really bothered me too much! Also the Hostel mailed Me some items that I had forgotten, and I am so appreciative for it!

Great hostel, friendly staff and very good value for money!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • South Africa

all as in ad and previous reviews- small, cosy, friendly, - shower over bath very hot- not far from quaint town centre- I would stay again- did not use small gdn as it was slightly chilly Irish March - but I liked the 2 dogs who were out there.

• 27th Mar 2015

Very good value for money considering the high level of service and facilities provided for backpackers. The hostel far out does some hotels I have stayed at for a much greater price!

This is one of the greatest hostels ive stayed in ireland!! Great team working there, the kitchen is fully loaded and full breakfast is supplied!! Loved my stay here, close to everything in town, dont think about it, just book it!!

Great atmosphere with excellent facilities and friendly staff. Easy walk to all main attractions, pubs, eateries and a grocery store. Also had available on-street free parking. Felt very safe and comfortable. Would definitely return and recommend.

Bread, jam, marmalade and cereal was provided for breakfast. Beware that laundry is available, but very expensive (€7). The staff was really nice and friendly, and they actually sat and chilled with the guests sometimes. Kilkenny isn't the most exciting place to be, but if you're coming through for a few days, then I'd definitely recommend staying here.

The staff and some of the people staying there were really nice. We picked a bad night to be there as it was the Saturday before St. Patrick's day and between 3-4 in the morning (I'm assuming after the pubs closed) there was a lot of shouting, door slamming, people walking up and down the halls etc and it was REALLY loud! Other than that it was a great experience.

• 14th Mar 2015

Staff were warm and welcoming, really cared and went out of thier way consistently. Showers were hot with good pressure and stayed that way. Bathrooms were remarkably clean for a hostel, every time. Matresses were tired, beds were squeaky and rickety; bedside power, lights, hooks, shelves would make a big improvement. The value is definitely there and I would stay again and recommend the place. They were doing some improvements even as I was leaving. They care, and you can tell. Thanks guys.

Friendly staff! Felt very welcome as we arrived. Nice hangout area and clean kitchen. Great security with code locks on the doors. Only downside was the cold showers. Had a really nice stay.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Sweden

Great place to stay. Really close to the main attractions. Extremely clean with comfortable facilities and a friendly and very helpful staff.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Ecuador

the breakfast can be improved

• 17th Feb 2015

Had a great stay at Macgabhainns! The staff were absolutely fantastic!

The hostel was ok - no parking. The guy when we checked in insisted that we pay cash.... which wasn't professional as the machine was infront of him! The next morning a very rude woman started shouted into the room telling us to get out as it was after 10.30...the beds were awkward to get up on.

• 14th Feb 2015

Glad you think our hostel is ok. As our website states parking is free from 5pm to 10 am and free at weekends, outside these times costs €2 per day. One of your group wanted to pay for everybody by cash, sorry we should have taken yours part by credit. We are very apologetic for our crew telling your group to get up but it was 11.45am. Happy travel MacGabhainns crew

Very nice hostel, not far away from Kilkenny Castle and Smithwick's Brewery. There is also a lovely kitchen and living room, it's very cosy - we had a lot of fun and met some nice and friendly people! :)

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Austria

Very nice place. Quiet and clean.

Everything was really nice. I'd stay there again.

• 9th Jan 2015
  • recarreira

Hot water in showers needs to be sorted. Better security on bedroom doors.