Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

Relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Not so busy there, smaller hostel. Nice bathroom ;)

• 17th May 2015
  • Austria

My wife and I our in our mid 40s and yet we felt we where treated like everyone else. We also had a 21 year old with us and she liked it as well. It was an awesome place in an awesome town.

Staff were really friendly and helpful.

Awesome hostel run by awesome people. Big thank you to Ferg and Phillip (Julien). Had an awesome awesome time there :)

The Macgabhainns Backpacker Hostel in Kilkenny is really good! I stayed there with a friend of mine and we thought that it was one of the best hostels in Ireland! Unfortunately we only stayed for one night, but we wished we could have stayed longer.. The hostel was very clean, all the time.The staff was super friendly, explained everything in a very nice and personal way, which made you feel like a family member.. The atmosphere was brilliant! Plus, the hostel offered a free breakfast.

• 12th May 2015

Macgabhainns was a great little hostel. In a good location and the directions given were very easy to understand. Although small, the staff was very friendly and the facilities were nice to use.

Nice hostel, friendly staff, some breakfast included in the price.

Good atmostphere, very homey and cozy, clean beds and bathrooms

• 3rd May 2015
  • Spain

Very friendly and helpful staff! Central location. Free parking next to hostel.

Location was near the train station and city center. However it was a 30 minute walk from the main venue of an event I attended, I knew this in advance but all accommodation convenient to the venue would cost over €100 per night and I was advised where I could rent a bicycle if so inclined. Moved to another bed for the 2nd night. Beds were comfortable and complementary bread tea and coffee for breakfast gave good value for money.

• 24th Apr 2015

This was a great hostel! My friend and I did the private twin and it was very cozy. I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to stay one night or several nights. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back!

Only one gripe about my room...there was an emergency exit door in my room and after coming back after a few hours, found that the door was slightly open with no one in the room - thankfully no belongings in there!

• 11th Apr 2015

Comfy beds Very friendly staff The 2 dogs are adorable :)

Loved My Stay Here, Would Reccomend Anyone stopping in Kilkenny to Stay at Macgabhainn's! There are outlets in the bed, showers were great and warm, breakfast was good! Only slight issue was staying in the all female dorm the wifi is good but not great! But never really bothered me too much! Also the Hostel mailed Me some items that I had forgotten, and I am so appreciative for it!

Great hostel, friendly staff and very good value for money!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • South Africa

Only stayed one night, but have no complaints. Very friendly and approachable staff. I would definitely return here if I found myself in Kilkenny again 😄

all as in ad and previous reviews- small, cosy, friendly, - shower over bath very hot- not far from quaint town centre- I would stay again- did not use small gdn as it was slightly chilly Irish March - but I liked the 2 dogs who were out there.

• 27th Mar 2015

Very good value for money considering the high level of service and facilities provided for backpackers. The hostel far out does some hotels I have stayed at for a much greater price!

This is one of the greatest hostels ive stayed in ireland!! Great team working there, the kitchen is fully loaded and full breakfast is supplied!! Loved my stay here, close to everything in town, dont think about it, just book it!!

Great atmosphere with excellent facilities and friendly staff. Easy walk to all main attractions, pubs, eateries and a grocery store. Also had available on-street free parking. Felt very safe and comfortable. Would definitely return and recommend.