Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

I really felt welcome at the Hostel. All the stuff was fun and helpful at any time. Also it is a nice, small place and this gave me a feeling of home. The Hostel was always clean. And I liked that you could have breakfast at any time. There wasn't a...'breakfast goes till 9:30' Would definitely stay there again.

Everything was great! The people that was there, the staff, the breakfast. Thanks!

We enjoyed our stay here. The owner was very nice and our room was spacious. The one thing that bothered me is that they charge you for a towel. Seems like a cheap and unnecessary way to make more money off of their customers. The location is great, as it's a 10 minute walk to the Castle and there are TONS of bars/restaurants within a 5 minute walk.

Very poor breakfast. One of the beds was wet as well as the duvet so I move to another bed in which the mattress almost didn't exists. Thankfully I stayed there only one night.

Hi, We are really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay here in our backpackers. With regards the wet duvet and bed, our only conclusion is that another guest left their wet towel on your bed. We really do take cleanliness very serious. We wish you had informed us of your concerns during your stay as there is always a member of staff on duty here in the hostel. Our Free breakfast includes cereals,porridge,toast,jams,tea and coffee. Happy travels MacGabhainns crew

My husband and i had the opportunity to stay in this hostel las week. It was a fantastic experience. The atmosphere was simply great as well as the staff. The rooms were warm and cozy. The location was superb. Raymond was always ready to help you if something comes up. Hamilton was very funny and cheerful man. We really enjoy our stay there. I will definitely go to this hostel again if i had the chance.

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Argentina

Exellent hostel. Everything was perfect. Continental breakfast was to poor, Just toast with butter.

Loved this hostel! The staff were wonderful, super friendly and helpful. The city is small and quiet and all the locals were warm and welcoming? Would absolutely return!

The staff were the friendliest people I met on my entire trip. The common room is small but cozy, and it allows you to really meet the other guests staying there. The facilities were decent and the kitchen was well equipped. My only main complaint was that there was funny smell in the bedroom, which could've been easily fixed. The bars weren't far away, but it is a bit of a walk to Kilkenny Castle and the downtown area. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here!

Overall a great stay. A little confusing with the parking situation as it is free if you're in a hire car but otherwise pay and display. The rooms were comfortable but cold. The staff were really friendly and helpful. It has a great location easy walk into the centre and great pubs.

got free computer to use, this is very good for me as i needed to do something with computer. the host and the Japanese helper Yuka were especially nice. room was good and clean, I had a good sleep here without party or street noise, however, the location is not quite near bus station.

At a stone throw from the castle and the city centre. Very good value.

This place felt like such a home away from home. Incredible environment to stumble across and I absolutely loved it. This isn´t one of those hostels which feels structured and ordered, instead it feels like a family home where everything is a little messy and cluttered, but in a good way rather than a dirty or bad way. Would definitely stay here again.

Great hostel! Very good location, staff always kind and helpful. I would definitely stay there again!

great friendly helpful staff and great value for money. no hot water in the morning for a shower though was a big disappointment and unacceptable really.

• 4th Jan 2014

Hi, we are glad you were happy enough with our hostel. Sorry we had a small problem with our boiler but all is fixed now and we have oceans of hot water. Hope to see your group back in Kilkenny sometime. MacGabhainns Crew

Need a kettle and hot water. Good location and good staff, lacked a double bed for couples, but over all good hostel, helpful staff and a pleasant stay.

• 2nd Jan 2014

Perfect hostel. Very central. Very friendly staff. And a cosy atmosphere. Really enjoyed my stay.

• 2nd Jan 2014

Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel is well run and very clean. Fergus was wonderful. He gave us a complete tour, put an extra heater in the room to warm it up and started a fire in the common room at night so we could play games and enjoy some extra warmth. Parking could be a problem. Our spot for free parking was on the street in front of another hotel that they had a "deal" with. At busy times this could be a problem. Location looked bleak but was within easy walking distance to everything.

• 28th Dec 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Lovely hostel, but it would be great if the heater in the room was working.

2cd time I've stayed in this hostel. Great staff and decent beds and hot showers. I'd go back.

All was great in hostel and the staff adviced us for some places and activities which were excellent.