Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Vicar Street, Kilkenny, Ireland

We had an absolutely lovely stay with Macgabhainns. The staff were lovely and gave us lots of tips of what to see and do in Kilkenny. I can't have imagined a better place to stay. We'll be back.

Owner was really kind and despite having booked a two-bed room with private bathroom he gave me a four-bed room with private bed all for me :) . Since I always went out to eat something I didn't use the kitchen, but he showed me a lot of things I could eat for free anyway. Location is greatand I really had a perfect stay,thank you!

really nice hostel with a homely atmosphere! only problem was that the room was very dark so we had to take the lampshade off but otherwise enjoyed our stay here and will be coming back :)

Great Hostel in the heart of Kilkenny. The staff was really nice and they have toast and cereal for you in the morning. The room was a great. We booked a 3 bed (1 double, 2 singles) with a bathroom and it was very affordable. The doors are all code protected, which is great but I felt a little uncomfortable leaving my passport and camera inside the room since it would be easy to hear the someone giving out the code. I would recommend bringing a lock, they have metal lock boxes under the bed.

Clean, hot water in showers, great location...the only thing that could be better were the noisy doors in the rooms, so you could hear everyone coming in or out the room

Awesome place to stay. We'd love to go there again!

Not a bad hostel, good location. We were in room 6 and it was explained to us that we would be moving to room 3 in the morning. No problem, didn't mind doing this at all. The next morning, the cleaning lady knocked once on our door and without waiting for an answer simply barged in and asked us to move. " Ok" we thought that was a bit rude....only for her to do the same thing 5 mins later! The room we were moved to was in bad need of a clean and the bedclothes for the double bed were grubby

• 14th Nov 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I loved Macgabhainns. Cosiest and friendliest hostel I've encountered thus far. Lovely sitting area, with a wood fireplace and an excellent selection of vintage movies (Men in Black, anyone?). The staff are friendly, kind and informative, and the kitchen is fully stocked. Has the feeling of a lived-in home.

• 14th Nov 2014

Fergus very helpful & obliging,.as was the owner. There are temporary staff who just seemed to do what they have to., some don't speak English well. Having the kitchen & lounge locked at 11.30pm, you couldn't get a drink or do anything else if you couldn't sleep. Locked out of these areas till 8am, not good for early risers.

• 5th Nov 2014

Staff was super friendly and helpful. The kitchen was always clean and everyone was respectful of individuals food. It was a cozy hostel where you could meet and chat with people next to a wood/coal burning fire. However at times, our dorm room door wouldn't always lock.

the host was very welcoming and nice, gave us a map of Kilkenny and recommended things to see and do there. We enjoyed our stay.

Had a great two nights stay in this hostel. Met lovely people in the hostel and in the town. Kilkenny is a very cozy town with a lot to see. The hostel staff showed us where to go and gave us a map on arrival. The rooms were ok(stayed in a 6 bed room the 1st night and in a 4 bed room the 2nd night), but the beds were very squeaky. The breakfast did not have much to offer.

My bed was awesomely comfortable. No free parking for cars... Had to wake up really early to add money... Staff too cool. Kitchen and room clean and neat.

Loved staff, location, and quietness. No parking near. Bathrooms are clean. Beds are extremely old metal frames that squeak and are bent down causing old mattresses to dent down even further. Bedding is also old! Worst nights sleep we've ever had due to beds. Mattresses need replaced!!!

Excellent stay all you need

• 18th Oct 2014

Nice location

I love this place! It is small and friendly but large enough to provide a diversity of guests, far enough away from the centre of town to be quiet but still close to everything you want to go to. Staff go out of their way to be helpful A home away from home!

Spent a night in Kilkenny. Very convenient and close to everything. Its everything you expect from a hostel. Room was basic and the staff were very friendly. Breakfast was simple. The building is a little dated, but still well kept.

Great hostel, smaller and cozy with friendly staff. Would stay again and recommend

Nice place for price.