Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel

Fabulous 1981 Total Reviews
Fabulous 1981 Total Reviews

• Ireland, Male, 31-40
10th Feb 2017

Brilliant staff ..really friendly enjoyed my stay

• Australia, Male, 18-24
5th Feb 2017

Nice hostel close to the main sites. Friendly and helpful staff. Great kitchen. Average bed and bathroom. Everything clean. Good communal areas.

2nd Feb 2017
8.0

The hostel was fine. Had no problems with the staff or the facilities and most of the other guests were friendly. The only problem I had was on the Thursday night to Friday morning. I was kept awake all night by one of the other guests who shook the bed violently all night long. I didn't get a wink of sleep. I protested with the man the following morning and his apology was insincere. I was exhausted for the whole of the following day.

• Australia, Couple, 18-24
1st Feb 2017

Good facilities. Small hostel, cosy feel. The shower didn't get particularly hot but was good enough. Would come back again.

30th Jan 2017

Good clean facility. Not far from center.

25th Jan 2017

Stay here for two nights and had a lovely stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Knew exactly what bus I needed to get to Dublin and where to catch it. Beds were comfortable and had some of the best pillows I have slept on in a hostel! I would definitely stay here if I came back to Kilkenny and highly recommend it to others.

21st Jan 2017

Perfect stay in a small town intimate hostel! From check in and throughout my stay Fergus was helpful with any of my needs. All the amenities needed for a good hostel stay and a great location just in the town center. If I'm back in Kilkenny I won't hesitate to stay here again. Don't forget to tour Kilkenny castle.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
10th Jan 2017

Had a great time. I really like Kilkenny. Was my second trip to this hostel in 8 months and it was great to see Fergus again. His local knowledge and tips made the trip that much better and was great chatting to him on his own travel experiences. 10/10. Highly recommend a stay. Rooms, showers and security was fine and the wifi was good. The common room provided a good end to the day with a fire and the kitchen facilities were also good. Would stay again.

4th Jan 2017
7.1

Location is close to the center and conveniently behind one of the main attractions in Kilkenny. Rooms and beds seems clean. Bathrooms and toilets were shorthanded only 2 showers for an entire floor which was hard to get in without either of them being busy. Bunk beds were super squeaky to the point were in was uncomfortable to move at night without making too much noise. Also the entire hostel was abruptly awoken at 5 AM by a false fire alarm which the staff need not know how to handle.

Thanks for reviewing our backpackers. We have 7 rooms in total 5 are Ensuite and 2 rooms share the communal bathrooms. We have new beds on order, so no more squeaking in MacGabhainns. With regards the alarm we had it sorted in less than 10 mins. Happy travels MacGabhainns crew

2nd Jan 2017

I absolutely loved this hostel! It's quite small bc it's in an adapted house but this was perfect for me. It felt so homey and I instantly felt comfortable there. It's just around the corner from St Canices, which is beautiful, and easily walkable everywhere else--Kilkenny isn't exactly huge! But oh man is it charming! And the staff were all lovely. This was the first hostel I was ever sad to leave. Would definitely recommend and come back!