Macondo Hostel Reviews

Carrera 8 #10 - 35, San Gil, Colombia

I really enjoyed it. This hostel is quite cozy. The only thing I would like to say is that it would be better if you had lockers in the dorms to put away traveller's lugagge when going out. I mean, I wasn't stolen anything but I would have felt a bit more relaxed if my stuff would have been locked when I wasn't in the hostel.

• 15th Nov 2014
  • Colombia

HI Denis, Im glad you enjoyed your stay. We have lockers at the reception desk, sorry that wasn't made clear on your arrival. We find that lockers inside dorm rooms aren't safe as we are unable to have them under CCTV security cameras. Hope to have you back soon.

my bed was not very confortable and had spider webs under but thats the only bad thing i can say about the hostel. staff, location, atmophere... amazing!! you feel at home soon after you have arrived

Not enough bathrooms. Only one upstairs and one downstairs. The hostel wasn't even full and I could rarely get infor a shower or even to brush my teeth. Used the kitchen sink to brush them most of the time. Other than that it was good. I would still recommend staying here.

Most of our rooms have private bathrooms including the large dorm. We have 3 communal bathrooms shared between 14 people which we find a better ratio than most hostels. Unfortunatly while you were here one of those 3 bathrooms was closed for maintenance. Although you did have a bed free in your room the 1st night the hostel was 90% full and the 2nd night you were there we were 100%. We are sorry that the third bathroom was closed and that you had to wait to use facilities. Shaun

Tejo Tuesdays was great!

The perfect place to stay in San Gil! The hostel is everything you need it to be and nothing more. Where it excels far beyond your average hostel, is the staff. They will organise every activity for you; every bus ticket; recommend places to eat, drink; book your next hostel. They also facilitate real interaction with the locals through 5-a-side football and Tejo Tuesday. Haven't found that anywhere else, easiest recommendation I've ever given.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • South Africa

This hostel is great. The downstairs pool and hammocks are very relaxing. The hostel has a large kitchen with a lot of space for cooking. The staff was friendly and helpful...would definitely come back to this place!

Clean quiet hostel but a bit expensive for the offerings. Wifi seemed to only work in the main room (not in bedrooms). Daytime staff member was consistently unhelpful (surly, bored, unpleasant). Easy to book bus tickets here.

Loved this place. Staff were so helpful with organising our activities an onward transport. Good value for money. Great kitchen. Hot showers. White water rafting was amazing! Also able to bring in alcohol for outside which is a bonus. Thanks Macondo!

Had an amazing stay at Macondo hostel - met some great people and the hostel is really well set up for socialising. Showers were hot, beds were comfy, wifi was ok. Would be good to have personal lockers in the dorms, but you can leave valuables with reception, so not a problem. The staff are great, they'll sort out buses and give advice on activities etc. Excellent hostel.

Great hostel in an excellent location with super helpful staff who will happily book any activities you choose (from their very informative folder full of them)

Very nice setup with a lot of potential, but strictly enforced 11pm quiet hours destroys the vibe of this place... Especially because of the limited nightlife options in San Gil.

Absolutely great hostel! Shaun, the bloke who runs the place is extremely helpful and willing to answer any questions at any time! Accompanying staff are just as helpful. Facilities are great especially the free spare shoes service! Definitely needed if you're doing extreme sports in San Gil. Great hostel overall! Keep up the good stuff!

The hostel staff arranges every outdoor activity you would like to do during your stay, so it was really easy to get most out of san gil.