Macondo Hostel Reviews

Carrera 8 #10 - 35, San Gil, Colombia

Great hostel in an excellent location with super helpful staff who will happily book any activities you choose (from their very informative folder full of them)

Very nice setup with a lot of potential, but strictly enforced 11pm quiet hours destroys the vibe of this place... Especially because of the limited nightlife options in San Gil.

Absolutely great hostel! Shaun, the bloke who runs the place is extremely helpful and willing to answer any questions at any time! Accompanying staff are just as helpful. Facilities are great especially the free spare shoes service! Definitely needed if you're doing extreme sports in San Gil. Great hostel overall! Keep up the good stuff!

The hostel staff arranges every outdoor activity you would like to do during your stay, so it was really easy to get most out of san gil.

I rarely write hostel reviews but this hostel deserves it. Great hostel, great owner who goes out of his way to help you, book buses/trips for you. The place is also spotless and the dorms have plenty of room. I 100% recommend this hostel and having had friends stay in others in the area, they were coming to Macondo's events, that says enough! Thank you to Shaun the owner, he even organised us a game of football with the locals!

• 2nd Jun 2014

Solid place. Great service. And good times all round

• 27th May 2014

I highly recomend this hostel. It is a great set up and incredibly easy to meet people and the owner is really involved and very knowlegable.

Nice, chilled out hostel which was very quiet in the evenings. The Australian guy who runs it is very helpful and the hostel helps arrange all the adventure activities - downhill mountain biking, rafting, paragliding etc. they also have Tejo Tuesdays to play Tejo for free!

I would recommend this hostel to you. Though i only stayed there for one night, but the staff so impressed me. They can speak both spanish and engligh and always willing to help proactively. I had sudden sick just before leaving and then wrote them to explain and requested to change to a later date, they expressed understanding and helped me out. There is the curtain for each bed in dorm which is very considerable to protect privacy. Good location as well. I do not have anything to complain.

I stayed for 4 nights and had a great time - the hostel was excellent for organising activities and Tuesday night tejo!!

The first (larger) private double room was very nice, and good value for money however we then spent one night in smaller double which was considerably less compfortable and less pleasant for only $10 000 pesos less per night... I thought it should have been a bit cheaper compared to the other room. Only other complaint would be mattress in smaller room way too soft, poor quality sponge and so hot to sleep on, and all pillows very thick and lumpy.

Very helpful and conciderate staff. I accidentally left my bag there and they were kind enough to send it to my final travel destination. I can't think of many places that would do something like that. Highly recommend this place. (The bathroom is nice, too!)

The hostel was very nice, its a little bit like sleeping at a friends place. Its nice to have the feeling to sleep in an appartement. The guy at the reception is super friendly and he helps you with everything you need (booking a bus, hostel, activities....)

Staff was very helpful!

Nice hostel, lovely garden to relax! Good kitchen. Big room! We enjoyed our stay at this place

Great owner with tons of good advice and info!

Much better than another hostel I stayed in for 1 night. The reception/sitting area is pleasant and a good place to meet fellow travellers and the hot tub is an added bonus. The dorms are hot and 1 fan is probably insufficient for the size of room I stayed in. Security could be an issue as the front door is always open and the dorm room entrance is very close by and is often open - have a lock and chain to secure your bag and fasten it to your bed.

Had a great time in San Gil very much helped by the Hostel staff.

• 17th Feb 2014

Really helpful staff

• 12th Feb 2014

ask Shaun for recommendations how to play special Colombian game! it is a fun

• 3rd Feb 2014