Mad Monkey Backpackers Kings Cross Reviews

34-36A Darlinghurst Rd Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

The hostel is disgustingly dirty, the showers, the bathrooms, all living areas and bedrooms. With one toilet per floor it means you're sharing with approximately 30+ others. The bedrooms do not have curtains which to me is a basic necessity. The staff are extremely rude and unhelpful, one female receptionist in particular - it felt as if she was going out of her way to be unhelpful. Free breakfast and gym passes were the only highlight.

Really friendly atmosphere, excellent location, clean and tidy. Enjoyed every minute of my stay there!

After spending time at another hostel in Sydney (which was awful), I was glad I changed and came to this one. Honestly they deserve a better rating from which the one they have right now. Great staff, facilities, and the breakfast it's really good. Its worth staying over there. Also they have great activities and discounts. Highly recommend it.

This hostel is very cramped, damp, dark and hot. It's also very noisy and has a bit of a dingy feel in general. Would not stay here again nor would I recommend this hostel to friends

The manager has turned this place around and I think it's an awesome hostel. My only complaint is there is too MUCH cleaning.

• 12th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

The Mad monkey hostel is pretty good! You got free wifi, a big kitchen with all you need, the rooms are really clean, the price is really good, free breakfast ( bread, cereal, pancakes, juce and fruits) , 2 free computer to use with free internet on it, nice staff, a living room with like 9 places and a big TV, a play station, nice activities ( like free bbq and free goon ( not everyday hahah). Ask for the room 2B, i think its the best one! Enjoy :)

On the plus side the rooms had air con and their own bathrooms, on the downside they didn't have curtains which would have been nice. Overall pretty good value for money

• 18th Dec 2015

Nice enough place but if on your own the overall place is quite cliquey and with the facilities (tv room and kitchen) layout it was quite noticeable..

1. Not a fun hostel by any means 2. COCKROACHES 3. Staff was very rude and extremely unhelpful Overall the atmosphere and vibes at this place are awful. Definitely the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. There was a cockroach when I opened my locker one morning and the staff reused to give us our pizza vouchers they promised us. PSHHHHHHHH

• 17th Nov 2015

Not too sure what every other review is talking about, the hostel was great. Everyone was easy to get along with, the place was cleaned everyday, and the beds were comfortable. As solo traveller I found the social aspect of the hostel brilliant.

This place was insane. People were smoking weed in the room, it was impossible to sleep at night because my roommates constantly invited people over and the staff was fine with it. It was disgusting and the whole place smelled like weed. There was stuff everywhere, the rooms were dirty and the room next to us was closed off due to pest control. The kitchen was fine and you got free wifi, those were the only good things. This is a stoner hostel, and a bad one at that. Stay the hell away!

• 2nd Oct 2015
  • Sweden

I stayed in this hostel for 8 days .it located in king cross which is one of the baddest area on Sydney . Let's me tell you what I think about this place .I have been traveling for 9 month and of course always I stay only in hostels . Honestly this hostel is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in . It very thirty . The room & toilette are very smelly .And very very very noisy you will never have a good sleep because of a club next to the hostel make lot of noise .

• 5th Sep 2015
  • Morocco

The place was really dirty. All, like the bathroom, room, kitchen. The only advantage was the good breakfast.

I loved staying here at Brados! We stayed over the weekend and had so much fun with the staff! Great location and perfect for the partier type, if you do not like to party or stay up late this is not your spot. The bathrooms were not the best but it was fine for the weekend and the price. Be prepared to have a good time with a ton of international travelers!

• 13th Aug 2015