Majestic Tourist Hotel Reviews

83/40 Ampitiya Road, Kandy, Sri Lanka

This is a good place to stay if you want to be close to town and see the cultural center. The owners are very nice and helpful. The man who owns the place is also the cook/ chef and his food is absolutely yummy! He gives cooking classes too if you are interested. There are many rooms in the hotel and the hotel is very clean and basic. Going to the lake from there is about 100 LKR and to the bus station is 250 LKR. Be aware the rickshaw drivers are all scumbags and try to cheat you.

The owners are fantastic and made us feel very welcome! We enjoyed an amazing home cooked curry on the roof terrace however as there were not many people in the hotel there was no ambience or other diners. The food was amazing but service a bit lacking. Location is a little bit away from anything so tuk tuk required if you want to head out at night for a drink or anything. Room was clean and basic.

This was one of my greatest Sri Lankan experiences, I say "experience" because it's not just a hostel! It's not in the city centre which was great but still very easy to reach. Instead of being waken up by the cars, you wake up with the sound of birds, fresh air and a magnificent view. The staff was friendly and helpful. The owners of the place are a very lovely couple, we've heard so many great stories and even learned how to make curry. Great place, definitely stay there when in Kandy :)

I enjoyed my stay at the Majestic. It is a max 10 min walk to the lake and probably 25min to the town centre. I didn’t mind the walk as it is nice to walk along the lake.The food they cooked was the best I‘ve had in Sri Lanka by far. When I was a few of the staff were away at a festival but everything seemed to run smoothly enough. My room was by means flash but it was adequate and I’m really glad I stayed there, if not for the food. I would happily stay again.

• 16th Jan 2015

The owner Mr.Joseph is a genuinely nice guy and a GREAT cook(dont miss his food).the room I got was v clean and so was the toilet and bathroom(with a hot shower) with fresh clean towels, soap and tissues.the eating area on the top floor is very good to hang out or chill in and has an excellent view.the location too isn't that bad: 10 mins walk to the lake but a bit more to the market area.overall a very good place to stay in.Great job Mr.Joseph! (And staff too..they're v sweet) :)

Fine place to stay in Kandy. A little far out, so you need a tuktuk to get there (max 300 rupier). The views from the roof terrasse is amazing and the breakfast is good an filling. But what truly make this a great place is Josef, the owner, who give great advice and take time to every customer...

Location was up a hill out of town. A long walk or a 250-300 rupee tuk tuk ride (which was fine). Spectacular views over Kandy from the balcony in our room and even better still from the restaurant/communal area at the top of the building. Wifi was slow but fine (only accessible from restaurant). Only downside was that the room really smelled of damp and there was mould on the curtains. For the price (and only staying 2 nights) it wasn't bad though!

• 4th Jan 2015
  • Wales

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at majestic. Initially only staying for one night, we loved it so much that we extended to an extra night. The food was spectacular, all made from scratch, and he even showed us how to cook Sri Lankan curry which was fantastic. We felt so comfortable here and couldn't speak highly enough of our stay.

facilities are being upgraded. Very helpful caretaker

Despite the owners amiable personality, the stay was tainted by a feasting of bedbugs on my bum. I had 60 bites on my rear from over the course of one single night. The bed was thin and only had a light blanket; it was cold. Also the other staff with the exception of the owner (who was often difficult to find) were inefficient. We were quite peeved when we came to breakfast early, said we were in a hurry, and then served last after all other breakfasters!

Clean accommodation, breakfast simple includes toasts, egg and tea. Location and view ok, but not from all rooms. Arranges for taxi at competitive rate.

We had a wonderful time at the Majestic, the price for the room was perfect. All the staff were lovely and they all were polite and helpful. If you decide to stay here be sure to eat there too, the food was amazing. I'm already wishing we stayed longer.

Food was very good. Ignore the menu and just ask for rice and curry or Sri Lankan breakfast, or get whatever the owner suggests. Room was very clean and comfortable. Perfect for sleeping 26 hours after the long ride from the US West coast. Net access was fine.

• 30th Nov 2014