Makuto Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Calle de la Tiña 18, Granada, Spain

Great great hostel, I really loved it! So nice staff, great facilities with relaxing atmosphere and location right in the city center. People were super Friendly and extremely quick to respond requests. Nothing but good things to say!

• 19th Jan 2015

Location - The hostel is in a great location in Albaicin. Staff - nice and helpful. Cleanliness - ok Rooms - regular dorms, nothing special Nice free walking tour to see the sunset around Albaicin All in all, I think its a solid hostel

Too be honest it looked great when viewing on Hostel world but upon arriving that quickly changed. The majority of staff werent that friendly. When we first got there and went to our room, someone else had taken our bed and this was never resolved. Things were forgotton when asked for just not cared about, couldnt even print off anything for us. Wifi was average could only access this in the outside bar area, which in the winter is freezing. Breakfast was average in a small cramped kitchen.

Makuto is a wonderful hostel. Right in the middle of the historic Albaicin. So, it's easy to get lost while you are looking for the hostel. But, I don't mind. That is exactly what I wanted to happen anyway. Everything about the hostel is great, except the push button showers, which I found unusual (but they work just fine!!). Special mention for the staff at Makuto. They are all amazing people, specially Syrmo. If I come back to Granada, I will go back to Makuto.

Really nice atmosphere. Staff always very nice and attentive.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Spain

Maybe the time of the year was not perfect, everything seemed to be a little bit neglected, not too clean, the internet was breaking down all the time and the food you can order at the hostel wasn't tasty. But i'm sure the place could be a nice stay in summer, with more travelers around

It was cold while we were there, I bet this place is fantastic in the warmer months!

This hostel had a good location, easy to walk to the Arab markets below or to the Albaycin nearby. I thankfully had a bed closer to the ground but many of the rooms had beds built on top of each other so that a person may have to climb a ladder almost to the ceiling to reach their bed. I like that they offer a free walking tour everyday at 5pm. As for facilities, the bathroom had a limited amount of showers and toilets, and there were no hooks in the rooms so it made it difficult to hang stuff.

Thanks for your comments and choosing Makuto Hostel to stay in Granada. We are glad that you liked our daily free walking tour through Albaicin and Sacromonte. We work hard to be as friendly and competitively priced as we can with a location, in the heart of the Albaicin, that is unbeatable. We have taken into consideration your suggestion about more hooks in the rooms and have placed extra ones. Best from all Makuto Guesthouse Team :)

worst wifi in spain

We paid for an 8bed dorm and had 10 people in it. The beds were so high it was difficult to get in and out of especially with the wooden slats across the roof. There was a lot of noise on night about 5am, people in the showers speaking very loudly. There was not enough room in the rooms for everyone luggage and the lockers are too small to store main luggage. The staff however were great(Alain and Alejandra?! In particular). The bar was a little pricy, but created a nice atmosphere at night.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Stayed 3 Nights. Enjoyed my stay. Amazing location in the Albaicin area. Good rooms with great kitchen and bathroom facilities. Wifi is poor - connection is extremely variable and dropouts are frequent. Very little atmosphere while I stayed there. There were more volunteer staff than patrons staying at the hostel (it was midweek low season) and the staff interact with each other mostly. Front desk staff are lovely and helpful.

Great hostel, very well ran! lots of steep hills though! but worth it for the location and views!

This hostel was OK. It is kinda off the beaten path. If you don't mind walking with all your luggage up a huge hill with cobblestone. The other option is to taxi there which is a little better but another cost! It's about a 20 minute walk to the center and directions were not very clear on how to get there. I will say, the staff was exceptional and very friendly! There were also tons of travellers to meet here. But the rooms were definitely "different". Just be careful, that's all.

Thank you for the time you have taken to write your review. Thank you for you for your kind words about our staff. To get to the hostel, for the first time, you can either walk from Plaza Nueva (10 min) or take a minibus that drops you 50 meter from the hostel. No need to take a taxi. Sorry directions were not clear for you. We are in Granada's old quarter and streets are as magic as labyrinthine. We provide our guest with a detailed free map :) All the best from all Makuto Guesthouse Team

Staff is beyond great. Location is good. Granada is small. Everything can be explored on foot. Breakfast is ok. Atmosphere is great. Chill lounge and common areas are perfect to meet the other travelers. Cheap option for dinner in the hostel too. Very clean. Only small problem is the wi-fi, which is often on and off, and not working well in the rooms. But it works well in the common areas. So I would definitely visit again.

Thanks for your review of Makuto Guesthouse Backpackers Hostel!. We take reviews of all our hostels very seriously. I am extremely please that people are recommending us and that we are getting guests due to good word of mouth. As travelers ourselves we know how important is to find a place with friendly people that cares. We try very hard to give each guest great customer service. Thanks again for your review and happy travels. We hope to see you again.

Overall, it's a good vibe being here. Staff were very friendly and helpful, great location, and great outdoor common area and tree house. I came during the winter, so it was chilly in the room I was staying in. Also would suggest using outdoor heat lamps for the outside common area - as it's the area where everyone likes to sit and have breakfast and/or dinner. The wifi is terrible. It kept going in and out and in my room there was nothing. Finally, the laundry dryer was broken.

Such a nice Hostel with relaxed atmosphere. Having a beer and talk in the garden or just relax in the tree house or in one of the hammoks. Its located in the old arabic district of Granada and you can reach everything by foot. We really enjoyed our stay!

• 22nd Nov 2014

This hostel was great! The staff were very welcoming and knowledgeable and the atmosphere was very cool. The dinner was delicious and the hammocks were fun to relax in. My only problem was that I was in a room with only a partial wall so I was woken up several times throughout the night when people came into the hostel but this would not be a big problem for heavy sleepers. I definitely recommend makuto!

Ridiculous amount of beds packed into 1 room.. 7 beds (in 2 bunks) in very small room with no space for bags etc, lockers on floor below. Showers impossible to shower without getting clothes/towel wet. Staff friendly, location good, only recommend to young travelers in groups who don't need space.

Syrmo on reception was great - I was in a room by myself one night and she came to let me know some people were headed out for drinks if I wanted to join and on my last morning she came to make sure I was awake otherwise I would miss the bus to the airport which was very nice of her considering most hostels don't care what their guests are up to, let alone remember their travel plans! Would definitely recommend here! - not just for Syrmo but for the cool setup they have there!

BEST. HOSTEL. EVER!!!! I saw the pictures of the hammocks, and I was hooked. It's a beautiful hostel, and the outdoor area provides an awesome place to meet people. The walking tour was so much fun, and the staff were some of the friendliest people I've ever met.

« first « Prev 1 2 3