Makuto Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Calle de la Tiña 18, Granada, Spain

The people I met at Makuto were amazing, the set up of the hostel (bar, dinner, and free walking tour) creates a very nice social environment. The actual facilities of the hostel were ok. For me, I didn't like that lockers were outside of the room and once you check out there isn't really a secure place for your bags. Finally the rooms did not have air conditioning and some were quite cramped.

It was certainly worth staying! Lovely smiling people, eager to help! Nice atmosphere and great decoration! I will definitelly visit it again. And not to forget...They do speak English, it was a nice surprise in Spain, since my Spanish is poor!

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Greece

Everything was fine except two things: first, the dinner for around 7€ in the evening is not worth it at all, at least when I was there. In fact, it seemed very overpriced compared to food that you could buy nearby. Second, mixed bath rooms are not really state of the art concerning privacy. There should be done something. All in all, it is a great hostel for people who wish to connect to nice people from allover the world! Moreover, the location in the center of Albaicin is perfect.

My favorite hostel in my favorite city! Love this place!

Makuto is very well located in the heart of Albacin. The staff is vey nice and helpful. The common area is very cool and makes it easy to meet people. The only negative thing was that my dorm was far from the bathroom/WC and I had to walk through the common space to get there.

The only negative thing about this hostel was that the wifi kept dropping out whenever more than 2 people were using it. Besides this everything about this hostel was fantastic! Would definitely return.

It's the atmosphere that makes Makuto a special place in Granada. Definitely a travellers place. The only downside are the three story bunk beds and the fact that my room had no real ceiling. Everything was covered by one shared roof, including the bathroom and the hallway. So basically everything can be heard from the room. I'd expect better for the price.

Loved it! In a really neat area and the walking tour is fabulous! Everyone was friendly and I definitely met a lot of great people here. Hammocks are a great idea. No lockers, but good community

Loved it! The walking tour was a highlight experience, the staff were chill and easy to get along with and always helpful. Great kitchen. No air con, but super cool atmosphere. Happy days.

The stauing was great and i had a great time! The staff was nice and the atmosphere was wondeful! The rooms are very hot, but at the evening its ok.

This hostel is a little getaway spot all on its own. Absolutely loved it there. The staff is super helpful with loads of advice on things to do and see. Definitely go for the daily walking tour in the evening. The courtyard with the hammocks area is a great place to meet new people and chit-chat, or even to just relax and be lazy during siesta time. Rooms, facilities, linen, everything is nice and clean so no worries there. Thanks Makuto for a great experience! :)

Great, helpful staff and met some really wonderful people. The tree fort and hammocks are great. I had serious issues with noise given the positioning of my top bunk bed beside the bathroom, but otherwise I think they did a really good job with everything.

Some hostels have great excursions, others have great facilities, or amazing locations; but Makuto is the first hostel that I have ever stayed at where I felt truly at home. Somehow they have created an atmosphere that is inviting, relaxing, and friendly to the point where you can't help but be totally captured by the experience. An incredible place where your experience in the great city of Granada will be matched by the place where you are staying.

Cool hostel, good place to get to know other travelers. Take the free walking tour.

Our stay at Makuto was very pleasant thanks to the help of an extremely friendly and handsome Australian man James. He ran the free walking tour with encyclopedic knowledge and was able to answer even the toughest of questions with ease. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, I truly hope he finds a nice young girl to settle down with, start a family and live a long fruitful life. Also the English girl working the bar has an adorable accent.

Good: very nice facilities, great girl at checkin, with loads of local info. Awesome hammocks. Bad: the volunteer staff only seemed to want to chat with each other. They just seemed to be lounging, uninterested in chatting with the guests, odd as they were called the social chairs! Wifi is a bit spotty as well.

The hostel does have a very hippie vibe, as do many people who stay here. There is only one washroom with three showers and three toilets for the whole hostel, which I think is quite terrible, but then again, I never had to wait for a toilet or shower. Breakfast is good enough and cheap. The staff are nice and helpful, and the neighborhood is absolutely gorgeous - though it has lots of steep hills. There's a bus stop very close to the hostel for when you can't walk up those hills anymore!

Great hostel in the best part of town. No complaints at all, just to warn most bunks are 3 tiers but that doesnt bother me. The hammocks and treehouse provide good hangouts and the staff are lovely. Would Makuto again in a heartbeat, its a long walk uphill but the reward is worth it.

Highly recommend

Very cool hostel with a great atmosphere and awesome staff. One of the best hostel experiences I've had and in a great city.