Maleku Hostel Reviews

50 mts oeste del Hospital Nuevo Alajuela, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Place was very convenient to get to from the airport. Room was ready, clean, and comfortable. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Since i flew in late at night i was just looking for a quiet place to crash, and this was great for that.

I enjoyed my stay at Maleku Hostel enough that I made a second reservation for my return trip. It was mostly because I felt the area was safe enough and close to the bus station, with free transfer to the airport. If I was looking for a party hostel or sightseeing hostel I probably would have looked elsewhere (although I did note several trips advertised). The staff was very helpful in directing me to the bus station and other general hostel guidelines. All in all, I found Maleku to be nice.

Do not stay here. Rooms are damp and pillows dirty / smell bad. Bathrooms are not clean. Not a pleasant experience for me.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Panama

This hostel was great. I was greeted by Sebastian right away, he was extremely nice and helpful, a great host. The place was very clean and secure. It is right near the San Jose airport and they provide a free shuttle to the airport every hour. There is also a very nice supermarket that is a few minutes walk away. Definitely will stay at this place again if I'm back in San Jose.

• 30th Oct 2014

Very tidy, organised and nice place. Close to the airport and located on a secure place.

I arrived at night and left before the sun came up, so I can't be sure but I'm not sure the location is so great. I had dinner at a nearby restaurant (recommended by the staff) and the way there was dark, no sidewalk and no crossing in a dangerous road. The staff were nice and helpful, the place is old and doesn't look like a hostel, but relatively clean, they have wifi and a computer. Good for a short stay before an early flight - it is literally 5 minutes drive by taxi to the airport.

The hostel was clean, comfortable and I felt safe and at home straight away.

• 11th Sep 2014

It's a good hostel if you have an early flight the next day.

This is the perfect place to stay when you are flying out of San Jose Airport. They Provide a free shuttle to the airport every hour. There is a huge market just around the corner that is open till midnight and the hostel provides a free kitchen to use. They have a computer with internet that you can use and give free coffee/banana/cookies.

• 26th Aug 2014

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The hostel is small enough to get to know and connect with other travelers. Very good location with walking distance to a big supermarket, ATM machine, a coffee shop, and the bus station. I am very satisfied with the hostel, I did stay there few times before about two years ago and that's why I am staying here again. One thing that I was not happy about this time, there was no hot water shower.

• 22nd Aug 2014

This hostel was fantastic! Getting here by bus from the airport is extremely easy, and a good way to avoid taxis. The staff was so friendly. The free airport shuttle was perfect for my early flight. They are located within walking distance of a supermarket, a mall, and a bakery. Their kitchen has everything you could ask for, and the living room is comfortable. They have good board games, and a great selection in their book exchange. They provided fresh linens, and the shower had not water.

• 3rd Aug 2014

This hostel is close to the SJO airport and provides a free shuttle rides to the airport on the hour starting at 5:00am. The room and bathroom we used here were clean and nicely maintained. There weren't lockers in the dorm style rooms, but we had a private room. The staff and other people here seemed pretty nice too.

We had a nice time at Maleku. It's nearby the airport, just a few minutes by taxi. Next to a noisy road. The staff was really friendly and helpfull!

I had a nice time at Maleku hostel but there was a lot of mosquitos. We had to buy a repellant for the room because we cant sleep otherwise. Everything else was nice! The view is beautiful and Maleku helps us make reservation for cayoning. The breakfast was included and good.

• 13th Jul 2014