Maleku Hostel Reviews

50 mts oeste del Hospital Nuevo Alajuela, Alajuela, Costa Rica

The hostel was wonderful! We only stayed 1 night, but I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and homey feeling. The only downfall was there there was only 1 bathroom for a few rooms to share, which required some patience. Overall, excellent!

• 19th Jan 2015

A safe, welcoming place close to the airport (5 min. taxi ride = $5, may be ~$10 in traffic). Also, Maleku held my suitcase for a week while I traveled around! They have an official system in place to hold baggage: you fill out a form about your date of leaving and return, and sign it. This gave me a great sense of security. Also, the bags are stored in a back room with its own lock. Security guard in a booth across the street from the hostel. All amenities good (although breakfast is meager).

This hostel was great. The staff was friendly, it was clean, and very close to the airport (w/ free shuttle) which made it convenient to end our trip at.

Great stay! Nice and quiet. Best part was the shuttle to the airport. Stress free!

Maleku Hostel was a decent hostel and served its purpose as the last stop before flying out of SJO. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the hostel overall was clean and well-kept. The kitchen was small but functional. Unfortunately, Alajuela was a pretty boring destination, so the half-day I spent there was rather unsatisfying. In retrospect, I probably should have looked for a slightly better location for my final night's stay rather than prioritizing convenience.

• 30th Dec 2014

The cleanest hostel in Costa Rica. Free towel. Hot water. Friendly staff. Close to San Jose airport and supermarket. Free taxi to the airport.

Place was very convenient to get to from the airport. Room was ready, clean, and comfortable. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Since i flew in late at night i was just looking for a quiet place to crash, and this was great for that.

I enjoyed my stay at Maleku Hostel enough that I made a second reservation for my return trip. It was mostly because I felt the area was safe enough and close to the bus station, with free transfer to the airport. If I was looking for a party hostel or sightseeing hostel I probably would have looked elsewhere (although I did note several trips advertised). The staff was very helpful in directing me to the bus station and other general hostel guidelines. All in all, I found Maleku to be nice.

Do not stay here. Rooms are damp and pillows dirty / smell bad. Bathrooms are not clean. Not a pleasant experience for me.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Panama

This hostel was great. I was greeted by Sebastian right away, he was extremely nice and helpful, a great host. The place was very clean and secure. It is right near the San Jose airport and they provide a free shuttle to the airport every hour. There is also a very nice supermarket that is a few minutes walk away. Definitely will stay at this place again if I'm back in San Jose.

• 30th Oct 2014

Very tidy, organised and nice place. Close to the airport and located on a secure place.

I arrived at night and left before the sun came up, so I can't be sure but I'm not sure the location is so great. I had dinner at a nearby restaurant (recommended by the staff) and the way there was dark, no sidewalk and no crossing in a dangerous road. The staff were nice and helpful, the place is old and doesn't look like a hostel, but relatively clean, they have wifi and a computer. Good for a short stay before an early flight - it is literally 5 minutes drive by taxi to the airport.

The hostel was clean, comfortable and I felt safe and at home straight away.

• 11th Sep 2014

It's a good hostel if you have an early flight the next day.

This is the perfect place to stay when you are flying out of San Jose Airport. They Provide a free shuttle to the airport every hour. There is a huge market just around the corner that is open till midnight and the hostel provides a free kitchen to use. They have a computer with internet that you can use and give free coffee/banana/cookies.

• 26th Aug 2014

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The hostel is small enough to get to know and connect with other travelers. Very good location with walking distance to a big supermarket, ATM machine, a coffee shop, and the bus station. I am very satisfied with the hostel, I did stay there few times before about two years ago and that's why I am staying here again. One thing that I was not happy about this time, there was no hot water shower.

• 22nd Aug 2014

This hostel was fantastic! Getting here by bus from the airport is extremely easy, and a good way to avoid taxis. The staff was so friendly. The free airport shuttle was perfect for my early flight. They are located within walking distance of a supermarket, a mall, and a bakery. Their kitchen has everything you could ask for, and the living room is comfortable. They have good board games, and a great selection in their book exchange. They provided fresh linens, and the shower had not water.

• 3rd Aug 2014