Maleku Hostel Reviews

50 mts oeste del Hospital Nuevo Alajuela, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Great choice to stop over near the SJO airport. Well equipped, friendly and helpful staff, free shuttle TO the airport.

It was a good and very clean hostel to stay on the way in or out of Costa Rica because of its location close to the airport and San Jose and other places like Volcan Poas. Many buses pass through Alajuela anyway. Staff is helpful and the atmosphere good. However it is not a hostel to meet that many people because many are at the end of their trips. However, for us staying here was the best decision.

Nice staff, confortable bed, functinel kitchen, they have all what you can expect for a hostel.

• 14th Jun 2015
  • Belgium

We stayed here for one night. It's super close to the airport which I recommend if you arrive in San Jose late in the evening and don't want to spend $50 bucks catching a taxi to the city. The only problem I had was the room we booked was close to the front gate of the hostel and it was located on a busy intersection. It was constantly noisy from either. Other than that, it's a great hostel for convenience.

I only needed a place to stay in San Jose that close the airport in order catch flight the next morning but I thoroughly enjoyed time at Maleku. The facilities were clean and neat and the atmosphere was relaxed.I ended up meeting some really friendly people and exchanged information future travels the one night I stayed there. Would definitely recommend this pave for people needing a place to stay the start end of their trip!

• 29th May 2015

Everything was great, the only thing I would want more is a bit of a better breakfast. Other than that, perfect. Especially the complementary shuttle to the airport.

This was my second stay at Maleku. The first time I was there, there was hardly anyone there. This time, it was much more busy with a lot of people cooking. There's also an awesome pizza place (Ragu) in walking distance that they can probably point you to. I didn't spend much time in Alajuela so I can't speak a lot to the location but it is super close to airport. If you are thinking of going to San Jose after flying in, consider this place instead as it is much closer than San Jose.

Maleku is NOT a party hostel. That having been said, it is a great place for peace and relaxation. It is quite clean with comfortable beds and a very clean and well equipped kitchen. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful at all times. It is my hostel of choice in Alajuela. Also a great location to start or finish your Costa Rican vacation, as it is close to the airport.

Extremely close to airport. I recommend booking this place, not one in San Jose if you are looking for something close to the airport. I stayed here my first and last nights in CR and had no issues. Bathrooms are clean and spacious for showering comfortably. Rooms/beds are good size and comfortable. I guess the only "strange" thing that happened was having to wake the overnight person up at 5am to unlock the door from the inside so I could leave to drive to the airport. No big deal though.