Malone's Old Town Hostel Reviews

14 Forrest Road, Edinburgh, Scotland

A little weekend getaway to Edinburgh was in order and we chose Malone's for their location. The atmosphere of the hostel was very friendly- there's a pub downstairs that is very happening and it's right in the centre of the old town. The staff are relaxed and helpful. The only thing the hostel is lacking is a common area, as the kitchen is too small to be used as that. Cleanest hostel bathrooms I've ever seen.

Staff were really great with suggesting places to go to eat and drink. Super friendly and knowledgeable. Also the bathrooms are really nice and clean which is a nice change!

• 11th Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

I don't know why the reviews are so high for this hostel cause I thought it was awful. staff? what staff? nobody is hardly there, and there is very little atmosphere. I think the hostel is too expensive when down the street at the Budget Hostel is about half the price. The bar downstairs is pretty good but that's about it. The bathrooms are ok I guess but the rooms are covered in carpet and very little air flow. The few ppl of the staff I met were very friendly but hardly there.

The hostel is in a fantastic location. Even though it is above an Irish bar I had no issues at all with noise. The female bathroom was grea and always very clean. I stayed in the 4 bed mixed dorm and there was planty of room for luggage, plenty of power points and the beds were comfy. Breakfast was included cereal and toast ( no butter/marg tho?) I stayed during the last weekend of Fringe so it was expensive for a hostel but so was everywhere else. I would recommend Malones!

This hostel isn't awful, but they advertise they have a common area, and they DO NOT, and the hostel suffers incredibly. There is no vibe, no place to hang out (everyone crams into this TINY kitchen, but it doesn't work at all). It's not the cleanest place either (there was a beer bottle and water bottle underneath my bed that was from god knows when that wasn't ever picked up), and just really no vibe. Stay here only if the better hostels are booked.