Mama Waldy Hostel Reviews

Getsemani Calle la Sierpe No 29-03, Cartagena, Colombia

Really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. They are so helpful and friendly. Great location close to the bars and the walled city. Lovely atmosphere.

• 11th Sep 2014

I've stayed at the hostel over a week now and its really nice and welcoming staff. They got fast Wi-Fi too which is important for me. Good value for the money!

• 4th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Saludos a todos, hasta luego!

• 31st Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

A great small family run hostel in the perfect location for exploring all of cartagena. Close to lots of cheap great food and the always vibrant plaza Trinidad is just down the street. The family will do everything they can to make you feel at home. The rooms are comfortable if not incredibly modern and there's a kitchen and living area including a computer for internet access and an xbox360 for game competitions. One night they even hosted a free tango lesson. You'll have a great time here

The crew are amazing, very lovely. But the infra-structure is a lot bad. Room with air-conditioner didn't have where to hang the shower... so yoy have to take the shower with one hand holding the "shower tap". Also the walls of the bathroom need to be done, seems like they didnt finish it yet.

If you want meet the locals and have an awesome time, this is the Place. The family is really awesome, actually Hermes one of the son´s owner showed us all the best places to eat, drink and have party and we hanged out with him almost every day, so we had an amazing time in Cartagena. 100% recommended.

Great hostel wicked vibes and the young guy who works there is a legend! Owners could smile more!

I thought I had booked a dorm (4 pers) with AC but unfortunately this was not the case. Staff is very friendly!

Familiy atmosphere, excellent staff and wonderfully located very close to Plaza de Trinidad.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Spain

Mama Wady was great. Had a very good time the night we stayed there. Location is excellent, just a couple of blocks from the ciudadel, and our room was provided with two fans that helped us get through the hot night smoothly. The staff was the best part though: we got to know Mama Wady and her family, talked a lot, they offered us some fresh lemon juice while we were taking a break from our roundabouts and were very helpful in giving us advises and suggestions. I definitely recommend it!

• 15th Jul 2014

door is open all the time, basic hostel but good price for what it is worth. looking for a basic hostel, this is a good choice

I've stayed in a lot of hostels over the years and this is one of the worst. We got a private room and the A/C unit was dripping onto the bed. After 2 days about a quarter of the sheet was soaked . I can only imagine what kind of mold is living in that mattress. We found a much better hostel around the corner and decided to leave early. When we checked out the manager chewed us out and said we were screwing him over. Bottom line: this place blows, don't stay here.

There's no security: hostel door is wide open to the street, doors to the dorms are close to the outside door

It's hard to explain this place. It's bad but good. It's one my favourites. It's a very relaxed place and the staff are excellent.

Mama Waldy's is unlike any hostel I've ever stayed in. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. My two travel companions and I were made to feel very much at home. The other guests were equally warm. Truly a fun place to stay and best way to stay in Cartagena.

This was our first hostel in South America and it didn't disappoint. Close to the old city, clean, very personable staff (who literally dropped what they were doing to come help and never got frustrated with our poor Spanish) and a building with real character - a great intro to Colombia. The only downside was the playing of a Nickelback song during our stay, but it was only one song and it was probably another backpacker with poor taste. Most of the music played was upbeat latin!

Had a great stay at Mama Waldy, Very cozy and staff are very friendly. Felt as if I was staying with a Colombian family which was a great experience!

It's a good hostel with an excellent "local" staff (Walter & his brother) available and friendly. We spoke about our stay and they agree that there's some changes to do like breakfast, kitchen, fridge and the bikes they are for the hosts. I think this hostel has an enormous potential and a great future if they continue to work like this. About the price, Cartagena is expensive so they are like others. At the end, It's a good hostel

I stayed two nights at Mama Waldy, I had booked a 4 bed dorm but got placed in a 6 bed dorm. The room was really hot but luckily had airconditioning and there was an ensuite. I heard staff often having to shuffle people around into different rooms so I'm not sure if they need to improve their booking system? Breakfast was included but only consisted of 3 pieces of warm bread. Good location. Colombian staff friendly but one girl often seemed to be inconvenienced by guests.

Terrible breakfast