Mama Waldy Hostel Reviews

Getsemani Calle la Sierpe No 29-03, Cartagena, Colombia

door is open all the time, basic hostel but good price for what it is worth. looking for a basic hostel, this is a good choice

I've stayed in a lot of hostels over the years and this is one of the worst. We got a private room and the A/C unit was dripping onto the bed. After 2 days about a quarter of the sheet was soaked . I can only imagine what kind of mold is living in that mattress. We found a much better hostel around the corner and decided to leave early. When we checked out the manager chewed us out and said we were screwing him over. Bottom line: this place blows, don't stay here.

There's no security: hostel door is wide open to the street, doors to the dorms are close to the outside door

It's hard to explain this place. It's bad but good. It's one my favourites. It's a very relaxed place and the staff are excellent.

Mama Waldy's is unlike any hostel I've ever stayed in. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. My two travel companions and I were made to feel very much at home. The other guests were equally warm. Truly a fun place to stay and best way to stay in Cartagena.

This was our first hostel in South America and it didn't disappoint. Close to the old city, clean, very personable staff (who literally dropped what they were doing to come help and never got frustrated with our poor Spanish) and a building with real character - a great intro to Colombia. The only downside was the playing of a Nickelback song during our stay, but it was only one song and it was probably another backpacker with poor taste. Most of the music played was upbeat latin!

Had a great stay at Mama Waldy, Very cozy and staff are very friendly. Felt as if I was staying with a Colombian family which was a great experience!

It's a good hostel with an excellent "local" staff (Walter & his brother) available and friendly. We spoke about our stay and they agree that there's some changes to do like breakfast, kitchen, fridge and the bikes they are for the hosts. I think this hostel has an enormous potential and a great future if they continue to work like this. About the price, Cartagena is expensive so they are like others. At the end, It's a good hostel

I stayed two nights at Mama Waldy, I had booked a 4 bed dorm but got placed in a 6 bed dorm. The room was really hot but luckily had airconditioning and there was an ensuite. I heard staff often having to shuffle people around into different rooms so I'm not sure if they need to improve their booking system? Breakfast was included but only consisted of 3 pieces of warm bread. Good location. Colombian staff friendly but one girl often seemed to be inconvenienced by guests.

Terrible breakfast

• 30th Mar 2014

Mama Waldy probably had the friendliest staff during my entire South American trip, although everybody in Colombia seems nicer than any place else in the world. The brothers were goofing around a little, but in a relaxed sort of way. Located in Getsemani, very close to a nice square with restaurants (try the pizza!) and in walking distance of the old town.

Your friendlyness is really appriciated. your helping out whenever we ask. We enjoy the friendly atmosphere, we had a great time! one suggestion: breakfast could be expended

• 9th Mar 2014

new jersey gal was a huge help! good place to stay, watch out for cartagena police, they will search you anytime and are very corrupt. take ur money out of your wallet when they are patting you down

the environment was great, i met a lot of great people. willian and walter were very helpful

• 24th Feb 2014

For me, perferct place to stay in Cartegena, closed to everything, great LOCAL staff, great atmosphere with mamy who cooks and share everything with those chat a litlle with the staff, great advises about to do. From brasil to Colombia so far the best hostel !