Mamallena Backpackers Reviews

'Casa 7-62, Calle Primera, Perejil', Panama City, Panama

It was the first hostel we stayed at on our trip and the first hostel I've ever stayed it but I definitely would give it an A! The staff was super friendly and helpful with every question we had! Wifi was extremely fast at every moment of the day. We stayed in the private double room and it was small but perfect for two people, comfy beds and clean! Shared bathrooms but they aren't bad either, clean, and it was cold water but it was so refreshing in the Panama City heat!

• 31st Jan 2016

Stayed three nights in a private room. Great Wi-fi, pancakes for breakfast, 10min walk to closest metro, 15 to the main road by the water. We had a great stay at mamallena!

Super friendly and helpful staff . Totally recommended

The showers were not too clean. The cleaners are not washing floors behind the doors so the area remains dirty. The toilet paper is not replaced frequently enough. We stayed in a private room; basically it was hot and airless; even with the fan it was uncomfortable trying to rest during the day after a long flight. The night time air conditioning was too noisy, requiring ear plugs in order to sleep. The breakfast pancakes were great and appreciated that they were available from 5am until 11am .

Staff was nice but we didn't get any information about the area, where to eat or what to do, we asked for a map and were told that they don't have anymore maps. The area is absolutely not worth, there are only banks and shops and nothing to see (or maybe we didn't find). The kitchen was very dirty!

There were a lot of good people at Mamallena, staff included. There were a lot of people there that either are traveling to Colombia by boat, or just arrived from Colombia. You're not given too much information at the desk unless you ask, but there are lots of materials in the hostel to figure out where you are and how to navigate the city. AC is on during the night. The hostel has a decent amount of space, but you're constantly surrounded by people. 30 min walk to Parque Natural Metropolitano.

Staff here were really lovely and helpful like maybe they actually like their job! felt very at home. kitchen is great and coffee and pancakes easy and yummy. Air conditioning at night works very well. i have two suggestiona to make this place better: one was that was some of the cleaners/builders talk REALLY loud in the morning right near the rooms and I think it's not necessary to talk that loud! they act like there is no one seeping! The other thing is to get curtains for the bathroom windows

Great start to our Central American trip. Very friendly and helpful staff, especially Edgardo. Plenty of recommendations for what to during the day in the city. Awesome location and a good kitchen. Very laid back atmosphere as well. Absolutely recommend.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here for 3 nights! It is a great place to stay to learn the culture of a typical Panama NEIGHBORHOOD. You can walk about and feel quite safe and taste the assume food of what the average Panamanian would eat! I love it! The only recommendation that I have to the owners is simply this - I know electricity may be expensive, turning off the air conditioner from 9 am to 9 am is brutal in the room. Rather contribute a couple of $ then feeling like being in hell. :(

• 18th Dec 2015

The airport pick up, although described as cheaper than a normal taxi, is actually more expensive and a rip off so do not use it, get the bus it a taxi. The place is quite expensive and to me was quite old and resembled a smack den. Silly rules like use showers for x time. No aircom except from 9pm-8am even then its old and barely works. The "free breakfast" is just a bowl with mouldy pancake mix in....

needed to stay only 1 day but they did a great job..helped my taxi find the place..thanks

friendly staff, clean, they let me check in at 5 in the morning! Not really a party atmosphere if thats what you want but it was chill and nice.

Hostel is going through construction, but it didn't really affect us. The first private we got had a double bunk bed and the air conditioning didn't really reach us so it was sweltering and we changed rooms in the middle of the night. Lots of common areas to hang out. Not much around at all, no restaurants or grocery stores, small mini marts around but not much selection. Cheap laundry but they didn't fold it so lots of wrinkly clothes. Overall good stay, close enough to bus depot and canal.

Cosy little hostel with a nice chilled and homely vibe. Good transport links to other areas of Panama City (bus & train) but hostel is a fair way outside the historic part of town. Make your own pancakes for breko is a win and staff are friendly and helpful with loads of information on things to do in the city as well as other parts of Panama, Costa Rica and sailing to Colombia.

Richard was really helpful, friendly and knowledgable. Great service, thankyou!!!

• 18th Oct 2015

I liked how chilled my stay was here. I wasn't forced to check in the moment I walked in and was greeted with a very warm welcome. Aircon in rooms was welcome, and the garden is lovely. Free all day pancakes was great as well!

• 7th Oct 2015

Really good price for a private room, lots of showers and toilets. Loved the free pancake breakfast and got loads of help from the staff especially for booking our San blas sailing trip. Very comfortable hostel, great chill areas.

We enjoyed our stay, the staff were extremely friendly & helpful & booked our trip to San Blas (which was incredible) for us. The room was comfortable with AC & the lovely big communal areas (inside & out) were great to chill out in. Kitchen was good & pancake breakfast was nice. Location was good & in a safe area but you need to take a bus or taxi to most of the tourist areas (old town, canal etc). Thanks for a great start to our trip! Charlotte x2 & Alicia - England

I booked two nights and stayed six so that tells you all you need to know. Staff was great from the desk people (expect the overnight guy) to the travel agent to the owner. I had a great time there and I will be back next time I'm in town!

Nice hostel, very clean and air con was a real bonus! Not located in the old town but taxi's are cheap and staff are helpful as to how to get to places. Clean kitchen and nice seating area to chill/watch films. Manager Richard was great ad recommended some great places to eat/visit. Great end to our trip.