Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Very nice, clean and centrally located hostel with a good atmoshere and friendly staff.

• 3rd Feb 2016
  • Switzerland

One of my favorite hostels so far. Great staff and atmosphere. Located in a prime location in Rio. Can't really say a bad thing about this place.

The place was dirty. The staff was not so friendly like everyone said on the reviews. They did not tell us about the home made meals. All the staff was very impatient when we asked about places to go. I do not recommend this place.

• 28th Jan 2016

We are sad to know that you did not enjoy your stay but regarding the meals, we write in the big black board situated in the living room the menu of the day when we have it available.

The perfect place to start our trip! The staff were so friendly and were always willing to help us. At the beginning of our stay I injured my foot and the staff could not have been more understanding which really made me feel better when I was in pain! The home cooked food was also incredible and really good value for money. The location of the hostel was perfect, right next to both Lapa and Santa Teresa which both have amazing night lives. Really clean too, with lovely showers!! Thank you guys!

• 21st Jan 2016

Cool staff, cool hostel, musical instruments available, many different areas to hang out, close to Lapa. Really recommend! It's a good start in Rio!

• 18th Jan 2016

Friendly staff, who know loads about Rio. Really cool athmosphere. Easy to get to the beaches by metro.”

One of the best hostels I stayed in during my 3 months trip! You can tell that the owners are experienced travelers themselves who know what the tired traveler needs. It felt like staying at a friend's house, there is so much room and space to share and relax. Also really liked the location in beautiful boho Santa Theresia, with Lapa nightlife around the corner and central downtown a 10 min. walk away. Highly recommended!

It is a very charming hostel with a happy colourful style. The workers there a very friendly and help with all your questions. I enjoyed a lot to stay there and stayed longer than I planned. I completely would recommend this hostel to everybody.

I stayed in the hostel for my last 2 nights in Rio. If you want to party stay here, the atmosphere was incredible by both staff members and people staying there. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Wicked location been right next to Lapa. Good showers, good breakfast, good beds, good people, good bar, good vibes, good everything.

you can walk to Santa Theresa easily- 15 minute walk. Location might be hard to find- charging my phone was difficult. Atmosphere was good, bathroom was OK. The 9 bedroom with no balcony gets stuffy, better the one with balcony.

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. This guest's phone charger was broken, it had nothing to do with the house.

Felt pretty safe in there. The location is fine, but could be better. The staff was great generating a great atmosphere. Cleaning goes on every day. Hard for me to talk about money as I booked the room only one day in advance and on for NY eve. Very good facilities.

I stayaed in a 9-bed mixed dorm and really liked that they have curtains and a clipped lamp for each person. They don't provide blankets though so you may wake up having frozen feet from the AC . There are also only four bathrooms so be smart in planning your shower times! They also have two computers available for customer use. Only thing is this hostel is located on a hill.. so prepare to hike after your parties in Lapa. Closest metro station is 30 minutes away.. meh.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We do have blankets for the guests. You can ask for the at the reception. The closest metro sation "Cinelandia" is a 15 min walk away. See you next time!

Good spot. Friendly staff. Nice atmosphere. Would stay again.

The best one as far as I know. STAFF, Facility, location, Breakfast, Cleanness, Wifi. $10? No way. Can't complain. They made my days in Rio. I hanged out with the staff a lot and quite enjoyed it. Here is also great to just chill, drink,smoke or whatever. This is the place to enjoy your time with amazing people in Rio! Thanks so much! Taichi

feels like staying with friends. good breakfast. rooms with balconies. hostel is located right at the border between lapa (many bars and restaurants, Arcos da Lapa) and santa teresa (arty neighborhood, Escadaria Selarón, last stop of Bonde).

It was the best of all hostels in which we have stayed during our trip in Brazil. Atmosphere there is amazing, room was clean, breakfast delicious. There is a great bar, nice music, people chilling together every evening. We had an AC in the room. It was easy to get from there to the center of Rio and localization of the hostel is really good, neighborhood is beautiful and it's close to the 'party part' of city.

Great hostel!

• 14th Nov 2015

Nice Hostel. Met some nice people. Santa Teresa/Lapa is a great location in Rio. Can't help but think this hostel is more for a long term traveler who is looking for rest bite though. It's quiet, and the home cooked food by the staff is amazing. But if you're dropping by Rio for a few days, looking for other travelers and a party, perhaps go elsewhere.

An amazing hostel located in one of the nicest neighborhoods of Rio, it's a bit steep to get there and the way up feels a lot longer than the way down but the reward you get is a beautiful view from the hostel outside areas. Rooms are alright with triple bunk beds, but one outlet and locker per person. Plenty of nice common areas to chat with the other guests or the super nice staff. Breakfast is normal not less but also not more than what I experienced in other hostels.

I liked how clean the hostel was! And the breakfast was very good for the price of the room :)

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels