Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We booked for two nights and stayed longer because we really loved the atmosphere and the facilities! The hostel is one of the best I stayed in concerning the facilities and the staff was so warm and welcoming that we felt right at home. Great breakfast, nice events and family atmosphere. We can recommend staying here to anyone coming to Rio.

the staff were very friendly and helpful

• 30th Jul 2015
  • LondonAliceW

Had a great time, wish it could have been for longer. Super friendly and helpful staff and perfect location

Really cool hostel with a great feel to it. Beds are very comfy. Allot of brazillian locals seem to stay so is hard to break th ice at first. However there was plenty of English speakers there. Overall great hostel in Lapa. Enjoyed our stay.

By far my favorite hostel that I have ever stayed in! The staff is so welcoming and friendly and do all they can to make you feel welcome. The dorms are pretty spacious and the bathrooms are clean (and there is actually space to put your things!) Additionally the breakfast is great and the kitchen is clean. I would 100% recommend this hostel, it's very chill and relaxed and everyone ended up going out together at night. Can't wait to return.

Awesome setup for a hostel very close to the centre of Santa Teresa. The view from the balconies and numerous chill out spots are incredible. This hostel is very popular among Spanish / Portuguese speaking long stayers so you might find it hard to break the ice at first but with a bit of an effort makes perfect opportunity to practice another language. Good beds, good lockers, average breakfast.

One of the best hostels I've been so far. Cool people, very helpful staff, amazing location between Lapa and Santa Thereza, very neat place, the hostel in itself has a lot of little spots where you can just sit and chill. I first booked 3 nights, and then stayed 3 weeks.

Beautiful old house with funky decoration. The staff members help you out with anything you need and take you out to party. The breakfast is awesome! Home baked cake! There are several long termers living there which is great to meet locals and get to know the non touristy locations. However, if you have a hard time intergrating with groups of people you might feel left out. In conclusion: A great hostel in a beautiful house with a warm family feeling to it.

• 18th May 2015
  • Chile

Incredible hostel with a very helpful and amazing staff, very well located, family atmosphere with cats fofoinhos. perfect for meeting new people due to its chilled party atmosphere and nice garden.

• 16th May 2015

I checked into Mambembe last week - I was meant to stay for one night but extended for 5 . The Staff were amazing , the beds were the biggest I have had in my 9 months in South America . Positives - Mambembe is clean , its close to Lapa / Glororia Subway ,The Staff are keen to help you , its laid back , They have Netflix for rainy days or nights you want to stay in , They organised a cool tour to Sugar Loaf for me , Do yourself a favour and book here - I Guarantee you will extend - Enjoy !!!

• 14th May 2015

As a solo English speaking traveler, I struggled at this hostel and didn´t really enjoy my stay. It seemed that everyone staying there was long-term and only spoke Portuguese. So they would all spend time together, watching movies in Portuguese, or sitting in the common areas. It was difficult to break into the groups. Don´t go here if you want to meet fellow travelers. The main positive for the hostel is the staff. They gave me good tips for things happening in the city and were very friendly.

This is a great hostel right next to the busy bar area of Lapa. It feels more like a friends house, which is great but at first can be uncomfortable. Would really staying longer in Rio but still a friendly place to stay in a big old house with plenty of nice areas to hangout in and a good kitchen and lounge room.

Staff without common sense began to play musical instruments before 9am. The cleaning was very superficial and we had water shortages because of a reform. Room full of light and no curtains and the ventilator makes a very loud noise. The breakfast was the only reasonable item. Ah, one person of the group got lice! I 'll not come back and do not indicate.

The people who played music were guests and not staff members. We have rules that you can't play music early in the morning but we can't control everybody. The water issue was indeed a problem. It was very unfortunate that the guests had to experience water shortages. On two different days for each about an hour we had to turn the water off. It was an emergency and we had to do the job in order to avoid having no water at all. Some of our beds already have curtains and shortly all of them will.

Staff were always helpful if a little cold. Only small lockers for your belongings. Close to lapa though apparently not safe to walk back from the metro in the dark to the hostel so have to take a taxi every time. Breakfast is good

Very comfortable beds in the dorm. There isn't AC in all rooms, only a fan. Location was in Santa Teresa but really close to Lapa. A bit too bohemian for me tho.

Very helpful staff, a great big old Santa Theresa house, and located just up the hill from Lapa in a picturesque part of Rio, this hostel was ideal. Big double rooms. Small details like bedside lamps, clean showers, curtains, big stove, big TV, plenty of indoor and outdoor common areas, make this a place to go back to.

I really liked this hostel especially the atmosphere as it was a place where u could spend all day without getting bored. For me the staff are the most important part of a hostel and although i heard reports that they were cliquey i didn't notice. If i was being critical on small details i would say fix ur key board and upgrade ur computers and the mattress in my private room should be thrown out. .the breckfast was good but if only the coffee was better..all in all a really cool place 2 stay

Staff really went out of there way to help!

• 2nd Mar 2015