Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

One of the best hostels I've been so far. Cool people, very helpful staff, amazing location between Lapa and Santa Thereza, very neat place, the hostel in itself has a lot of little spots where you can just sit and chill. I first booked 3 nights, and then stayed 3 weeks.

Beautiful old house with funky decoration. The staff members help you out with anything you need and take you out to party. The breakfast is awesome! Home baked cake! There are several long termers living there which is great to meet locals and get to know the non touristy locations. However, if you have a hard time intergrating with groups of people you might feel left out. In conclusion: A great hostel in a beautiful house with a warm family feeling to it.

• 18th May 2015
  • Chile

Incredible hostel with a very helpful and amazing staff, very well located, family atmosphere with cats fofoinhos. perfect for meeting new people due to its chilled party atmosphere and nice garden.

• 16th May 2015

I checked into Mambembe last week - I was meant to stay for one night but extended for 5 . The Staff were amazing , the beds were the biggest I have had in my 9 months in South America . Positives - Mambembe is clean , its close to Lapa / Glororia Subway ,The Staff are keen to help you , its laid back , They have Netflix for rainy days or nights you want to stay in , They organised a cool tour to Sugar Loaf for me , Do yourself a favour and book here - I Guarantee you will extend - Enjoy !!!

• 14th May 2015

As a solo English speaking traveler, I struggled at this hostel and didn´t really enjoy my stay. It seemed that everyone staying there was long-term and only spoke Portuguese. So they would all spend time together, watching movies in Portuguese, or sitting in the common areas. It was difficult to break into the groups. Don´t go here if you want to meet fellow travelers. The main positive for the hostel is the staff. They gave me good tips for things happening in the city and were very friendly.

This is a great hostel right next to the busy bar area of Lapa. It feels more like a friends house, which is great but at first can be uncomfortable. Would really staying longer in Rio but still a friendly place to stay in a big old house with plenty of nice areas to hangout in and a good kitchen and lounge room.

Staff without common sense began to play musical instruments before 9am. The cleaning was very superficial and we had water shortages because of a reform. Room full of light and no curtains and the ventilator makes a very loud noise. The breakfast was the only reasonable item. Ah, one person of the group got lice! I 'll not come back and do not indicate.

The people who played music were guests and not staff members. We have rules that you can't play music early in the morning but we can't control everybody. The water issue was indeed a problem. It was very unfortunate that the guests had to experience water shortages. On two different days for each about an hour we had to turn the water off. It was an emergency and we had to do the job in order to avoid having no water at all. Some of our beds already have curtains and shortly all of them will.

Staff were always helpful if a little cold. Only small lockers for your belongings. Close to lapa though apparently not safe to walk back from the metro in the dark to the hostel so have to take a taxi every time. Breakfast is good

Very helpful staff, a great big old Santa Theresa house, and located just up the hill from Lapa in a picturesque part of Rio, this hostel was ideal. Big double rooms. Small details like bedside lamps, clean showers, curtains, big stove, big TV, plenty of indoor and outdoor common areas, make this a place to go back to.

I really liked this hostel especially the atmosphere as it was a place where u could spend all day without getting bored. For me the staff are the most important part of a hostel and although i heard reports that they were cliquey i didn't notice. If i was being critical on small details i would say fix ur key board and upgrade ur computers and the mattress in my private room should be thrown out. .the breckfast was good but if only the coffee was better..all in all a really cool place 2 stay

Staff really went out of there way to help!

• 2nd Mar 2015

Mambembe is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in because of the wonderful community that revolves around it. It invites interaction among everyone staying there... you find yourself stuck in the hostel all day because you had so much fun practicing a new language or listening to musicians from four countries play together all afternoon. Easy to make friends, hard to leave!

• 27th Feb 2015

Staff are exceptionally helpful and the hostel has a lovely vibe.

Lovely colonial house in Santa Teresa. Decorated with lots of love to details and funky touch. Great people and familiar atmosphere!

• 23rd Feb 2015

Location of the hostel is awesome, but the walk up the stairs from Lapa is a killer - especially if you're carrying a pack! Staff are very helpful but not the warmest bunch! very clean and cool hostel overall

We were staying during carnival so it way always going to be busy, but the beds were stained and it was hard to sleep. But the staff was always willing to help and up for a chat :). Though the owners played loud country techno rock in the morning. not great

Thank you for your comment. During carnival it obviously will be a bit louder which mainly has to do with the fact that most guests stay up all night chatting and it's kind of difficult to send everybody to bed. Now every mattress has a brand new encasement. I'm a bit confused about the music issue. None of the owners ever played music in the mornings. . When something disturbs you just mention it at the reception and will find a solution. We can't know what disturbs you if you don't mention it.

Nice building. Location close to Lapa, we went in Carnival time so area smelt and was dirty but that was the same for many areas in rio that week! Quick internet and clean beds.

I stayed here during Carnival. The hostel is up a steep hill so once we left for the day we werent coming back and forth all day. Good chilled atmosphere.

As soon as i arrived here I felt at home. So much so that I extended my stay and came back to stay again after that. The location is great so long as you dont have your heart set on being close to the beach, but it´s not difficult at all to get there. If I return to Rio i would stay there again.

Best hostel I stayed at in Brazil! A really nice big old house turned into a well decorated hostel with a bohemian touch. The place is full of nice posters, plants, a lot of books, and it has a living room with a comfy sofa where you can watch movies. The staff is super friendly and helpful and offered us not only fun activities, but also delicious home made dinner several times during our stay. Made me feel like home, can't wait to go back someday :) Thanks guys!

• 26th Jan 2015