Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I really liked this hostel especially the atmosphere as it was a place where u could spend all day without getting bored. For me the staff are the most important part of a hostel and although i heard reports that they were cliquey i didn't notice. If i was being critical on small details i would say fix ur key board and upgrade ur computers and the mattress in my private room should be thrown out. .the breckfast was good but if only the coffee was better..all in all a really cool place 2 stay

Staff really went out of there way to help!

• 2nd Mar 2015

Mambembe is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in because of the wonderful community that revolves around it. It invites interaction among everyone staying there... you find yourself stuck in the hostel all day because you had so much fun practicing a new language or listening to musicians from four countries play together all afternoon. Easy to make friends, hard to leave!

• 27th Feb 2015

Staff are exceptionally helpful and the hostel has a lovely vibe.

Lovely colonial house in Santa Teresa. Decorated with lots of love to details and funky touch. Great people and familiar atmosphere!

• 23rd Feb 2015

Location of the hostel is awesome, but the walk up the stairs from Lapa is a killer - especially if you're carrying a pack! Staff are very helpful but not the warmest bunch! very clean and cool hostel overall

We were staying during carnival so it way always going to be busy, but the beds were stained and it was hard to sleep. But the staff was always willing to help and up for a chat :). Though the owners played loud country techno rock in the morning. not great

• 15th Feb 2015

Thank you for your comment. During carnival it obviously will be a bit louder which mainly has to do with the fact that most guests stay up all night chatting and it's kind of difficult to send everybody to bed. Now every mattress has a brand new encasement. I'm a bit confused about the music issue. None of the owners ever played music in the mornings. . When something disturbs you just mention it at the reception and will find a solution. We can't know what disturbs you if you don't mention it.

Nice building. Location close to Lapa, we went in Carnival time so area smelt and was dirty but that was the same for many areas in rio that week! Quick internet and clean beds.

As soon as i arrived here I felt at home. So much so that I extended my stay and came back to stay again after that. The location is great so long as you dont have your heart set on being close to the beach, but it´s not difficult at all to get there. If I return to Rio i would stay there again.

Best hostel I stayed at in Brazil! A really nice big old house turned into a well decorated hostel with a bohemian touch. The place is full of nice posters, plants, a lot of books, and it has a living room with a comfy sofa where you can watch movies. The staff is super friendly and helpful and offered us not only fun activities, but also delicious home made dinner several times during our stay. Made me feel like home, can't wait to go back someday :) Thanks guys!

• 26th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Breakfast very good, wi fi excellent, bathroom clean 'nd nice shower.

I booked for three nights, and ended up staying for three weeks. Mambembe is an excellent choice -- the hostel is welcoming and has a fun and laid-back vibe. It is near lots of bars and grocery stores in Lapa, and yet the road is quiet and residential. The staff are super helpful and friendly, and the accommodations are clean. Stay here.

Great hostel, from the first minute you feel like at home, all the staff are amazing! Thank you guys! And see you soon!

I had a very good night in this hostel. Very clean and very kind staff, and all of that with a good price. Definitely coming back if I ever need to stay overnight in rio.

Mambembe was my favorite hostel in Rio! It has a laid-back atmosphere and is great for solo travelers to meet people. The staff is really helpful and welcoming. We came home late after a night out and the guy working at reception offered us the food he was cooking. It definitely has more of a homey feel, which is why so many people end up staying longer than expected.

Mambembe was my favourite place to stay in Rio. Everything about it was great and its easy to call it home.

• 30th Dec 2014

Nice hostel. Ok area, unless want to stay in Lapa

Fun hostel with a good vibe. Right by Lapa, a big tourist/party area, and the Selaron Steps--great location if you don't mind walking up the hill every day. Bathrooms and rooms were cleaned daily and staff was super chill, really helpful, and accommodating. We stayed in the cheapest dorm rooms, and my partner couldn't sleep b/c it was way hot on the highest bunk, so he was told he could borrow a personal fan from the bar, but we ended up going to a friend's house that night anyway. Would return.

• 18th Dec 2014

I really enjoyed the time at this hostel and made me to extent the stay two times. The hostel is very unique because of all the travelling artists staying there. If you wanna spend a bit more time in Rio and looking for an cozy environment to hang out and meet interesting people, i would definitely recommend this place.

well this place turned out to be a great find … i went on a friends recommendation,, was very impressed with the price after comparing it with a few other places and after staying a few days i abandon my plan of changing hostels and staying in other parts of Rio … its very easy to get around from Lapa and things are cheaper in this part of town …the hostel is clean and everything works … the guys that own the place and the staff were very very helpful .. I would recommend this place ..

• 25th Nov 2014