Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The place was dirty. The staff was not so friendly like everyone said on the reviews. They did not tell us about the home made meals. All the staff was very impatient when we asked about places to go. I do not recommend this place.

• 28th Jan 2016

Cool staff, cool hostel, musical instruments available, many different areas to hang out, close to Lapa. Really recommend! It's a good start in Rio!

• 18th Jan 2016

Friendly staff, who know loads about Rio. Really cool athmosphere. Easy to get to the beaches by metro.”

One of the best hostels I stayed in during my 3 months trip! You can tell that the owners are experienced travelers themselves who know what the tired traveler needs. It felt like staying at a friend's house, there is so much room and space to share and relax. Also really liked the location in beautiful boho Santa Theresia, with Lapa nightlife around the corner and central downtown a 10 min. walk away. Highly recommended!

It is a very charming hostel with a happy colourful style. The workers there a very friendly and help with all your questions. I enjoyed a lot to stay there and stayed longer than I planned. I completely would recommend this hostel to everybody.

I stayed in the hostel for my last 2 nights in Rio. If you want to party stay here, the atmosphere was incredible by both staff members and people staying there. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Wicked location been right next to Lapa. Good showers, good breakfast, good beds, good people, good bar, good vibes, good everything.

you can walk to Santa Theresa easily- 15 minute walk. Location might be hard to find- charging my phone was difficult. Atmosphere was good, bathroom was OK. The 9 bedroom with no balcony gets stuffy, better the one with balcony.

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. This guest's phone charger was broken, it had nothing to do with the house.

Felt pretty safe in there. The location is fine, but could be better. The staff was great generating a great atmosphere. Cleaning goes on every day. Hard for me to talk about money as I booked the room only one day in advance and on for NY eve. Very good facilities.

I stayaed in a 9-bed mixed dorm and really liked that they have curtains and a clipped lamp for each person. They don't provide blankets though so you may wake up having frozen feet from the AC . There are also only four bathrooms so be smart in planning your shower times! They also have two computers available for customer use. Only thing is this hostel is located on a hill.. so prepare to hike after your parties in Lapa. Closest metro station is 30 minutes away.. meh.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We do have blankets for the guests. You can ask for the at the reception. The closest metro sation "Cinelandia" is a 15 min walk away. See you next time!

Good spot. Friendly staff. Nice atmosphere. Would stay again.

The best one as far as I know. STAFF, Facility, location, Breakfast, Cleanness, Wifi. $10? No way. Can't complain. They made my days in Rio. I hanged out with the staff a lot and quite enjoyed it. Here is also great to just chill, drink,smoke or whatever. This is the place to enjoy your time with amazing people in Rio! Thanks so much! Taichi

feels like staying with friends. good breakfast. rooms with balconies. hostel is located right at the border between lapa (many bars and restaurants, Arcos da Lapa) and santa teresa (arty neighborhood, Escadaria Selarón, last stop of Bonde).

It was the best of all hostels in which we have stayed during our trip in Brazil. Atmosphere there is amazing, room was clean, breakfast delicious. There is a great bar, nice music, people chilling together every evening. We had an AC in the room. It was easy to get from there to the center of Rio and localization of the hostel is really good, neighborhood is beautiful and it's close to the 'party part' of city.

Great hostel!

• 14th Nov 2015

Nice Hostel. Met some nice people. Santa Teresa/Lapa is a great location in Rio. Can't help but think this hostel is more for a long term traveler who is looking for rest bite though. It's quiet, and the home cooked food by the staff is amazing. But if you're dropping by Rio for a few days, looking for other travelers and a party, perhaps go elsewhere.

An amazing hostel located in one of the nicest neighborhoods of Rio, it's a bit steep to get there and the way up feels a lot longer than the way down but the reward you get is a beautiful view from the hostel outside areas. Rooms are alright with triple bunk beds, but one outlet and locker per person. Plenty of nice common areas to chat with the other guests or the super nice staff. Breakfast is normal not less but also not more than what I experienced in other hostels.

I liked how clean the hostel was! And the breakfast was very good for the price of the room :)

Only stayed for one night but from what I saw it was a really well run hostel and had a funky and retro vibe and really cool atmosphere. Three dislikes: 1) there was no aircon in our room only a fan and the heat at night was terrible. 2) When we arrived 2 different dorms were booked for the 2 person reservation we made. 3) the sign for he Hostel is soooo small we almost missed it.

• 17th Sep 2015
  • South Africa

Nice place, we stayed in a double bed roomroom for one night . Didn't really use the facilities etc. Very close to lapa, just 5 min walk up the hill. Staff were very nice and helpful, called us a cab for the airport when we left. Our room was next to the bar area so a bit loud but it was Saturday night and we were drunk too so not a problem for us.

• 5th Sep 2015

From the second of our arrival the place couldn't have been much better. We were greeted on arrival by Oliver who made us feel at home from the second we stepped into the Hostel. Everything was ready for us on arrival (which believe me does not happen in many Rio Hostels). Our whole stay was fantastic, one of our friends loved it so much he was trying to work the bar! We even got traditional Brazilian dinner cooked by one of the workers which I much say was exceptionally good.

• 2nd Sep 2015