Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Staff are all dead set ledges. hammock´s on every balcony with a rip snorter of a view! strategic location, 2mins to the arches and the selaron steps.

• 25th Oct 2014

I hated everything about this hostel! Dirty rooms! Weird people! Dangerous area!

Several of my staff members took a lot of time to help this guest when she had trouble booking her next flight. She kept mentioning how stupid everything in Rio de Janeiro is but my staff members tried to relax her and continued helping her. Our area is not dangerous. Our guests come home in the middle of the night and nothing ever happens. We clean the whole house every day but for the guests' mess we are not responsible. Maybe next time a hotel would be the better option for this guest.

Although it's really close lapa, the streets are so inclined and looks dangerous. Inside the hostel is clean, but outside unfourtunately is a little bit durty. In addition the house is quite old. The staffs were so kind and helpful and the hostel has a really nice green area.

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate it! It's like a three minute walk to Lapa and it's safe. People from the hostel come home at any given time and nothing ever happens. Even during the early morning hours. Yes, the street is inclined but it's so close and when you arrive at the hostel you are rewarded with a nice view. We hope t see you again sometime!

Ideally located between Santa Teresa and Lapa (closed to stores, bars and transports), this house is big, functional, designed and with all commodities. Staff is able to speak all languages and they are very helpful. I really appreciated all the different patios which bring fresh air and let enjoy the heights of Rio. This hostel is a big house and it's more like a shared house! The atmosphere is welcoming, relax and multicultural.

Nice atmosphere at this hostel, with a very friendly owner Barbara. Not always sure who works there and who doesn´t, bnut averybody is always willing to help you around. Nice breakfast and clean bedrooms. The location is perfectly situated between Lapa and Santa Teresa.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Belgium

One of the best hostels I´ve ever been to. The stuff is very friendly and helpful, the location is perfect, one of the most beautiful neighbourhoods in Rio. The bathrooms were always in excellent condition , as also the other places of the hostel. I totally recommend it to everyone!

• 25th Sep 2014
  • Greece

Mambembe is an awesome place! I completely fell in love with the staff and their great vibe. It's amazing how little things make all the difference. I stayed in the shared room with the balcony, it's a nice room with two balconies which gets you a beautiful light and fresh air. I got to meet lots as cool people... Musicians, backpackers, and story tellers, it all made it hard to say goodbye. Huge hug to everybody! Have fun in Rio! Simone

• 25th Sep 2014