Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good hostel with great staff in a very good location (in terms of being close to Lapa). Not enough bathrooms for the number of people- there were always long waits to use the bathrooms.

Thank you for your review you are working on fixing this problem!

I had a great time at the Mambembe hostel. I met some lovely people, slept on comfy beds and it's a good location too, all in all very pleased. I will comeback for sure.

Thank you. Hope to see you again!

Great place just the rule about be quite after 10PM is not true - n the staff does not say much about it even though they gave me a paper w/all rules

• 13th Apr 2014
  • Uruguay

From the first moment on, I fell in love with this hostel (and so far, I have seen a lot of hostels). Not only the stuff, the decoration (in every corner you will find a nice little detail) and the location is great, but also (and specially) the atmosphere there, will make you want to come back (or don´t even leave!) Highly recommended!!

The hostel is unique, with a hippy mood, relaxing and the staff is great!!! Very helpful and friendly. I had a great time!!! Muito obrigada :D

I can highly recommend this hostel. The location is perfect for getting around and seeing the various parts of Rio - its 3 minutes from a bus station with buses going to all parts of the city and about 5 minutes from the metro station. The staff is amazingly nice and helpful and our dorm was clean and quite big. We also loved the bar, the balconies and the common rooms. We booked two nights at the beginning of our trip and liked it so much that we came back for 7 more at the end.

Awesome hostel! Great location, just 2 min walk to Arcos da Lapa and all the amazing nightlife of Rio, and a 5 min walk to the metro station Cinelandia, alowing you to go to the beaches and other parts of the city during the day. there's also buses stops very near. The staff is SUPER nice and friendly, and will help you with everything you need! The breakfast is very good too. When I go back to Rio, I'm definitely staying in Mambembe Hostel again and will recommend it to everyone I know!

Thank you! Te esperamos aqui da próxima vez!! :)

A truly bohemian hostel in the bohemian heart of Rio. Staff are really friendly and down to earth and the hostel has a very communal feel. The building itself will only get better as the owners complete more of their planned renovations. No air-conditioning makes for some pretty sweaty days and nights but the owners tell me there are plans afoot to install a/c once the electricity mains have been upgraded.

This hostel has a great artsy and eclectic feel that makes you feel like you step in to a little Mambembe-world. I loved waking up looking out over the hills of Santa Teresa and have breakfast on the little deck with a view over Rio. The staff is super friendly and fun, don't be surprised if you are invited to share food or head out together into the nightlife of Lapa. I'd recommend this hostel to anyone who values an original and personal place to stay!

• 16th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Be careful, you might get stucked in this hostel!!! I stayed about 2months there, and I had great time, I felt at home. The hostel was full of people staying for a while (travelers, artists) or living there, so the atmosphere was excellent for socialization. The breakfast was nice and diverse, location was also perfect (very close to arco de Lapa for going out, but in the cute and quiet Santa Teresa). The house is beautiful and well decorated, with many common areas, and with very cute cats!

• 14th Mar 2014

One of the best hostels I have stayed in anywhere. The staff make you feel welcome and are very accommodating, most staff have more than one language. Beds are large and comfortable, dorms are large, accommodating 9 beds (triple bunks), balconies for every room. The hostel is cleaned every day and is neat in appearance. The included breakfast is diverse and includes savoury, sweet, fruit and meat. It is definitely the best value for money hostel.

The hostel is in a great location, easily walkable to the best parts of lapa and Santa tereza. The staff was super helpful and fun. They even took its out with them for carnival. if highly recommend this place.

• 3rd Mar 2014

It's a great place for stay if you want to stay around Lapa... A little bit far from the beach... a good place, clean and great staffs.

• 27th Feb 2014

The best place! If you are in Rio, this is the place to be.

Amazing hostel!, I was sad to leave :( Was there pre-carnival and already had another hostel booked. The location is great, it's a beautiful building and the staff are awesome. Good breaky too :) We had a great night out together and they made me feel super welcome. BIG love guys! V

Great place with a fantastic atmosphere. I would highly recommend this hostel. It is run by a group of friends who are renovating it themselves. Very down to earth and friendly.

This place is new but has a gypsy-bohemian-artsy vibe all over. The staff is a super helpful and eclectic crowd. There's 3 floors of murals, old shoes used as plant holders, and rooms with balconies. They say there's no breakfast included "yet". It up on a hill, so you have to walk up and down some cobble streets…but it's not too strenuous and everyone could use the exercise, right?

Mambembe rocks! Cool place with great location. The staff were always helpful and friendly. They make it easy for you to feel at home. Nice internet too ;)

• 12th Feb 2014