Mambembe Hostel Reviews

Rua Joaquim Murtinho, 251, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We had an incredible time at Mambembe. The hostel is set up such that there is plenty of opportunity for getting to know other travelers, and we in fact spent time hanging out with both travelers and staff alike. The locations was ideal, too, located between the beautiful old buildings and viewpoints of Santa Teresa and the fun atmosphere of Lapa. We'll definitely be back!

• 4th Jun 2014

Thanks for the awesome comment, guys! We're really happy you enjoyed your stay. See you soon!

Had a wonderful time staying here. The atmosphere and people there can be described as "bohemian". It's not a party hostel but it's also not a dead place. There's character here.

Fantastic, one of the best hostels I've stayed in. It's run by former backpackers, they know their stuff and they're super helpful. Bring your own alcohol or drink, they're mega relaxed and that vibe emanates through the whole hostel. Oliver on check in is a champ, go Spurs!

Thank you for the awesome comment! Enjoy your trip and we hope to see you back one day! And remember: Go Spurs!

The word mambembe, as I understand, is Brazilian slang for improvisation, however what the hostel represents reaches far beyond the act of composing or making from whatever materials are readily available. Mambembe Hostel is decorated with beautiful works of art: a bar made from glass bottles and bricks, rich vegetation, murals, etc. Mambembe returns value to materials that would normally be discarded and it truly embodies the concept of space and place: creating a perspective of experience....

• 27th May 2014

very helpful staff thanks very much

Great place to stay, really good location and really nice vibe in the hostel. Highly recommend

• 23rd May 2014

BEST HOSTEL i have ever stayed at. the only problem with it, is that you end up staying longer then intended. 1 day turned into 10 days for me!- Will go back for sure!!

Thank you! You are always welcome and hope to see you again soon!!

One of the best hostels we've came across on our travels, the perfect choice when heading to Rio! The hostel is safe, clean with a welcoming, laid-back atmosphere. The staff are excellent and always happy to help. Thanks for a great stay :)

Great hostel, good breakfast. The only bad point is that there is always a line to the bathroom and often there isn't hot water.

This hostel has nice staff, quick internet and a good location in the lapa area, next To the steps. Breakfast is good and it is very safe, as lockers are supplied. There are a lot of 'long termers' living here, which means, it can be hard to integrate with them though. Overall. It's a good place.

Beautiful house, friendly staff, super affordable, really easy to meet people. Great place for travelers who want to meet interesting people from all around the world.

Thank you for your nice comment! We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Mambembe Hostel and hope to see you again one day. Cheers!

Good hostel with great staff in a very good location (in terms of being close to Lapa). Not enough bathrooms for the number of people- there were always long waits to use the bathrooms.

Thank you for your review you are working on fixing this problem!

I had a great time at the Mambembe hostel. I met some lovely people, slept on comfy beds and it's a good location too, all in all very pleased. I will comeback for sure.

Thank you. Hope to see you again!

Great place just the rule about be quite after 10PM is not true - n the staff does not say much about it even though they gave me a paper w/all rules

• 13th Apr 2014
  • Uruguay

From the first moment on, I fell in love with this hostel (and so far, I have seen a lot of hostels). Not only the stuff, the decoration (in every corner you will find a nice little detail) and the location is great, but also (and specially) the atmosphere there, will make you want to come back (or don´t even leave!) Highly recommended!!

The hostel is unique, with a hippy mood, relaxing and the staff is great!!! Very helpful and friendly. I had a great time!!! Muito obrigada :D

I can highly recommend this hostel. The location is perfect for getting around and seeing the various parts of Rio - its 3 minutes from a bus station with buses going to all parts of the city and about 5 minutes from the metro station. The staff is amazingly nice and helpful and our dorm was clean and quite big. We also loved the bar, the balconies and the common rooms. We booked two nights at the beginning of our trip and liked it so much that we came back for 7 more at the end.

Awesome hostel! Great location, just 2 min walk to Arcos da Lapa and all the amazing nightlife of Rio, and a 5 min walk to the metro station Cinelandia, alowing you to go to the beaches and other parts of the city during the day. there's also buses stops very near. The staff is SUPER nice and friendly, and will help you with everything you need! The breakfast is very good too. When I go back to Rio, I'm definitely staying in Mambembe Hostel again and will recommend it to everyone I know!

Thank you! Te esperamos aqui da próxima vez!! :)

A truly bohemian hostel in the bohemian heart of Rio. Staff are really friendly and down to earth and the hostel has a very communal feel. The building itself will only get better as the owners complete more of their planned renovations. No air-conditioning makes for some pretty sweaty days and nights but the owners tell me there are plans afoot to install a/c once the electricity mains have been upgraded.

One of the best Hostels i have been to. Great staff, great guest, great atmosphere. almost every night people where going out togheter or having some drinks togheter in the hostel. But in the rooms it was quiet, so that it is possible to sleep early too. When its fully booked 4 bathrooms are scant, but it worked.

1 2 Next » last »