Managua Backpackers Inn Reviews

Colonial Los Robles Monte Los Olivos, 1 c. Norte, 1 c. Oeste, � c. Norte Casa #55, Managua, Nicaragua

Good for a night stay,or longer if you must be in Managua. people were really friendly and the location was one of the better I've had the opportunity to see in the terrible place that is Managua. But it was slightly difficult to find the bus station from the hotel walking.. So take a cab or if you're proficient In spanish keep following the road as it's confusing w the map the hotel gives you (not very much to scale).

• 9th Dec 2014

A big hostel that includes a pool and a lot of space to hang out. I would definitely stay there again.

Thanks for your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

The overhead fan in our dorm was broken so a desk fan was put in place. That didn't sufficiently cool the room so other travellers opened windows letting in lots of mosquitos. Both the kitchens were poorly stocked, grotty and disorganised. On the upside, shower/bathroom was clean and well stocked, cheap laundry service, nice staff. Managua itself is a dive so I didn't have much expectations for a hostel. I suppose is the best choice as you are likely only here for stopover.

We checked the overhead fan in the room that you stayed in and it is in good working order. Perhaps it was just a matter of adjusting the setting to increase the speed of the fan? Also, as much as we can, we try to keep the two shared/communal kitchens as clean as possible. However, we make it quite clear through signs in each kitchen that each guest is responsible for cleaning their own dishes, cutlery, etc. Unfortunately this rule doesn't always get complied with. Thanks for your feedback

A great option for a quick stopover through Managua. There was free black coffee in the morning, good wifi, and seemed to be in a convenient area. Staff were very helpful, and it was overall a very quiet, pleasant stay.

• 4th Dec 2014

Thanks for your feedback!

Great value for a decent hostel. It's close to the mall and a few bars, has a pool, and the beds are comfy and clean.

Thanks for your comments!

It doesn't take USD$20 to take taxi from the airport, walk out the airport to the street and you can get a taxi for C$200 (8~10USD), you can ask the taxi drive to pick you up the next day to airport for the same amount. There are some good restaurants near the hostel, like La cocina de Doña Haydee. Free/fast Wifi, free water and good kitchen. Most of the people here stays for one night at either their beginning of journey or last day of the journey.

We offer a shuttle service to our guests as a private and safe alternative to the taxi service you described. It is absolutely true that cheaper transport can be found between the airport and the hostel if you are willing to step a bit outside of the airport onto the main street. Just be aware that this is not likely to be a private service and may not be as clean and safe as what we offer. Thanks for providing your comments!

Excellent hostel!

• 30th Nov 2014

Thanks! We hope to see you again soon.

It was good for a night stay. Didn't spend much time here but the staff was nice and they have airport service for $15. Beds are comfortable. There was a mix up with my room. All the beds were taken in the all girls dorm so they put me in a mixed dorm with less beds. I wasn't so bothered but incase someone feels strongly about this you might want to confirm.

We appreciate your patience with the issue you described with the beds and we'll certainly be more careful about this in the future. Thanks for your comments!

Front desk help was terrific - especially Roberto.

• 27th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Thanks for providing us with your feedback!

What a great vibe at the hostel. Very close to metrocentro mall. Transportation available to the airport. I stayed in a private room with air conditioning and a shared bath. Cold showers but it's Nica! The guy at the desk kept headphones on the entire time and obviously did not want to be there but he did do his job.

• 16th Nov 2014

Thanks for your comments! We now have 2 private rooms equipped with hot water heaters in the shower. Perhaps you can specifically request one of these rooms when you come back next time.

Roberto at front desk a big plus !!! ...... Need to spend a few more dollars on improvements ..... Good food ..... "Tiny" table in room ..... leaving the floor for storage and getting organized ..... Great location convenient to UCA mini-bus terminal ..... buses leave every 30-minutes and the price is right at under $2 ..... An older Mercedes which became exceptionally crowded within 15 minutes ..... Fortunately ..... I had a window seat ..... Short stay seems smart .....

The place is good enough for a short stay off a night or two. The atmosphere with the backpackers themselves was a bit weird - people seemed a bit bored and were all on phones or computers, and few of them wanted to chat. The kitchen, although large, has limited accessories such as cutlery, and most of the knives are blunt. If you want to use a locker, bring your own padlock and key.

• 12th Nov 2014
  • Scotland

Thanks for your review. In our view, the single most important factor for a hostel is the people (staff/guests), so we're always looking for ways to improve the social environment in the hostel. More often than not we have a lively environment with a great mix of international travelers. Perhaps you were here on an 'off' night. Regarding the kitchen, we'll review the accessories and make sure they are updated where needed.

Pretty good. Nothing special, but the was , and staff friendly.

Thanks for your review.

They couldn't find our reservation even though I had confirmed with them over email the day before arrival. Then they gave us the wrong room and only gave us 2 beds instead of the 3 I reserved. The bathrooms are shared and not actually ensuite. It wasn't a bad hostel but they are deceiving in their offerings. Good coffee though!!

Always a pleasure to stay at Backpackers, except this time. They need to brick up the window in room 4 that faces the pool and get the guy on night duty to enforce quiet hours. After 12 hours of travel I was too wasted to fight with the inconsiderate bums in the kitchen area and they ignored my wife when she tlked to them in Spanish..

• 5th Nov 2014

Thanks for providing us with your comments. For the reason you mentioned, we have a fairly strict quiet hours policy which begins at 11pm and runs until 7am, during which guests can engage in quiet activity only. If you encounter this problem again, please let the overnight staff know and they will discuss with the guests causing the disturbance.

This is a great hostel if you are using Managua as a stop over. It's in a fairly residential area, but very close to a big shopping mall so handy if you need to stock up on things. The hostel has a pool, an on site cafe and loads of different communal areas.

Thanks for your feedback!

Nice place to stay. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Only stayed there for one night so I havent seen much of the are. but would highly recommened the hostel as I felt super safe !

Thanks for your positive commentary!

I stayed here 3 years ago and it was a really good hostel. This time I found it to be amazing. The place is so clean and the staff work around the clock keeping the place clean. The pool is so nice to cool of in. The wifi works even from the pool. There's nothing better then checking your emails while relaxing in the pool. Happy hour 3 local beers for $2.50 us. Nice firm mattress. Located real close to a big shopping mall. A few more washrooms would be nice. Overall an amazing place. 4 stars.

Thanks for your comments! We hope to see you back soon.

True story (LOL): There was an earthquake on the second night that we stayed. I like the way that the night manager handled the situation. His name escapes me, he is the same guy that picked us up from the airport. He kept us informed and made light of the situation with his humor and calmness. Very relaxed atmosphere, overall. I will revisit.

Thanks for sharing this story! Fortunately there was no damage as a result of this quake. Due to Nicaragua's location in the pacific rim and its proximity to active volcanoes, our staff are all well trained in how to deal with these type of situations.

Good onenight hostel for a stopover staff were really good helped me out with ringing airline about lost baggage

Thanks for providing us with your comments! We're glad everything worked out with your luggage and it was a pleasure to help you.