Mandarin Hotel Reviews

8 Ibrahim Nagib - Garden City - Downtown, Cairo, Egypt

No Rating

I was a little afraid of getting a hotel that costs about 3 euro, but when we got into the accomodations, it was really nice. The receptionist was a nice guy who was patient enough to clear all our questions about Egypt and we even got breakfast - a nicer one than lots of hostels around the world. Juliana Hotel was once in a lifetime discovery!

The information they provide on the webpage is not accurate. We have booked 4 nights with them but they refused to pick us up from the airport saying that we received a discount for the room (we paid the price accordingly to hostelworld rate). Moreover, we asked for "free of charge" map of Cairo twice at the reception and the answer was always "tomorrow". The room was not very clean, in the old building. Good location (around 10 min walk) to the metro station. The staff was helpful.

What can you expect for $6 USD a night? I certainly didn't expect much--and that's pretty much what I got. It was a nice, mostly clean room that locked and had it's own bathroom. None of the staff spoke English, so that was tough, but doable. The wifi was down for one of the days and the power went out for about 12 hours too--which was interesting because the hotel is located on the third floor of an old cement building and when the power goes out there are no lights on the stairs. Good for $$

Nice well

The hostel suffers from the lack of guests recently, but the staff is very friendly and helpful. The hostel has a good location, near to the city center and the subway.

• 16th Apr 2013
  • Belgium

The location is ideal because it is not in the center, so there is not much traffic. In 10 minutes walk you are in the center. The rooms are clean and the staff is extremely friendly and can arrange any excursion. Recommended!

Despite having a reservation the Juliana Hotel was full when I arrived and the receptionist had no English. She phoned the manager who told me to stay another hotel 500 metres away. By then it was dark and none of the three taxi drivers I spoke to had any English, so I walked, but the managers directions were poor and I got to the Garden City Palace in the backstreets an hour later. The bed sheets were filthy with other people's pubic hairs between them, luckily I had a sleeping bag.

• 17th Feb 2013
  • Scotland

The entrance is very poor, the building is falling down like all the quartier. The stairs (3rd floor) seems to had pass a war. When you arrive to the third floor is better... Could it be worse? Anyway the people at the reception are very kind and helpfull but not the tipycal "boringhelp" of touristic Cairo, they were very good. Thank's. Also I think they need to clean the rooms more, the tables, the bins... And to try to have sheets appropiates for the beds on size. Hopping they improve!

• 6th Feb 2013
  • Spain

It was all very nice. The hostel is really beautiful and the people who work there were really helpful. I strongly recommend to buy the tours there. The guides we had were excellent and the trips remarkable..

Upside: The staff is really doing everything they can to help you out. As they don't have a cafeteria you get your breakfast in bed, quite neet. Downside: Situated in a partly abandoned building with mysteriously working elevators. At least some of the rooms accually doesn't have a wall, with just glass parting the room from the outside which is a bit unpractical when trying to keep street noise and winter cold out. And Garden City is a quite dull place - you need to move away to find the fun.

We enjoyed our stay at Juliana hotel very much. Excellent manager. The hotel is in great location 2 minutes walk to River Nile, Canadian and us embassies. The hotel is on top of large bank, very good safety. The rooms are very clean, the best we seen in Egypt. Needless to say the staff here are excellent. Ahmed, a friendly local guy speaking good English, showed us around the hotel to know the place and took us to train station. He also gives many invaluable information of travelling in Egypt.

• 11th Dec 2012
  • Mexico

A wonderful hostel, fantastic location, Great people working there!

• 11th Dec 2012

A great place to stay. No problems , no issues. Will return

• 3rd Dec 2012

Our stay at the Juliana Hotel has been the best of most of the hostels I have ever stayed at. Hony was so helpful & looked after us so well, he helped us organise a tour to the Black & White Desert which was amazing & showed us all over Cairo. Truely I woud reccomend this hotel to everyone!!! Thanks again to Hony, you really went above & beyond everything we needed!! We will come back!!

• 25th Nov 2012

The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The room we stayed in was spacious and really clean. Breakfast was delicious and served right on time. Its not in the same crowded area as other hostels in downtown, but that's wonderful for a good night's sleep. Everything was a mere 10-15 minutes walk away.

• 4th Nov 2012
  • New Zealand

Garden city is a clean and secure area, 15 min walk from Tahrir Square. Juliana is perhaps the cleanest hostel in Cairo. Spacious rooms and bathrooms, large beds, comfortable mattresses, common kitchen. Possibility of free internet in the PC of the reception, when it is available. Breakfast is served on a table just outside certain rooms, so it may be noisy. Not really a common room (just a few chairs at the reception). Kind staff but they should speak better English (apart from the owner).

• 26th Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

I was greeted warmly on arrival and given plenty of useful information and details for my stay in Egypt. The hostel was clean and tidy. It was a very friendly atmosphere and the staff genuinely enjoyed the social scene. The location is very central and it is quick to get to the metro.

• 25th Oct 2012

Juliana hotel without sounding typical feels like a home away from home. The staff make you feel like you are part of the family....and do what they can to make your stay enjoyable. I would be lost without the Juliana hotel. Ahmed as always is a gem.....he does so much to make people feel comfortable and lways has a big smile on his face..job well done!

The entire staff at juliana Hostel made my stay in Cairo welcoming, and special. Millions of Thank You and lots of appreciation especially goes out to Ahmed, the overnight staff worker who helped me when I got extremely sick my first night and was kind and patient enough to take me to the hospital. He made me feel like I was part of his family he took such great care of me. Next time I come to Cairo I know where my home is! Thank you all for being so wonderful and kind hearted.

• 31st Aug 2012

i came to juliana hotel with some friends after a long time in the gulf region. hany, the hotel owner was extremely approachable and nice, and we really owed him so much for all the help rendered to us during the trip. the beds were big, nice and comfortable and it was really cosy. the rest of the staff were very helpful as well! this is a sure recommendation for me if i come back to cairo! thanks many!

• 30th Aug 2012