Manga Hostel Lapa – Rio Reviews

Rua do Lavradio 186, Lapa, RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It could be a bit more silent (I wish...) , but it's a hostel in Lapa after all. I couldn't expect to sleep well in such location...

Awesome location, very close to bars and restaurants, with easy access to Cristo and Maracanã by bus or subway. They offer free caipirinhas on Friday nights, which were the best caipirinhas I had in Rio. Private rooms are great, so I would definitely go back there. The only issues were some annoying cracks in the windows and the electric stove (it was hard to cook on it). In their website they warn you about the noise from the street, however, I bought some earplugs and could sleep soundly.

Had 3 nights here with 1st night vision expensive but it was last night of carnival so understandable. Location is very central to the vibrant bars felt safe enough to go drinking and get back ok. Staff were mostly fine except one grumpy night shift guy! would recommend the tours like favela etc from front desk.

Stayed during carnival. Great atmosphere. Breakfast good and staff really helpful and took us on great nights out. Downsides= Wifi was a bit temperamental and the heat of the rooms were unbearable. For the price we payed, longer hours with aircon would have been nice.

The theme of the hostel was a packaged exp of Rio, drinking games and directed to parties/clubs. Myself and friends preferred to see Rio ourselves joining in when we were back. One member of staff called Ryan, seemed to take offence that we didnt join in in all of the activities. One night there was a party and he said we werent allowed to go lol we had plans, but still it showed his character. Also i got an electric shock from the shower,locks didnt work and the kitchen smelt of vomit.

Ryan and Gabs and all the staff were brilliant!

Manga was unreal to stay at!! We were there for carnival, and the location couldn't have been better for that time of year!! We were less than a block away from nightly blocas (street parties) and never more than 20 minutes walk from ones in different areas. The staff was great at getting us involved, and even took us out to local samba clubs and various blocas. If you are looking to be near the beach this is not the place for you (although you are only 15 minutes by metro). Bad AC is a negative

• 12th Feb 2015

Lovely staff and good atmosphere. Great location for nightlife and transport. Breakfast foods ran out a few times and only two toilets in the 23 bed dorm was a bit of a struggle at times.

A good place in the middle of the parties in lapa. That does not mean that it is loud inside the hostel. You could also just chill there. Really appreciated the free caipi hour :D! The wifi was excellent and the breakfast good as well. Recommend!

Nice hostel in Lapa just one block away from the main party street. Nice breakfast. The aircondition in the room works only during the night.

The rooms in the back are tiny with noisy aircon outside.we booked a twin but were given a double.the rooms upstairs are great which they upgraded us to later,I'd stay in those.the place and especially bathroom was filthy for the first few days and was clean after that,I don't know whether to blame the guests or the staff?

Very dirty restrooms, stinky bedroom, located in a dangerous street, staff was not helpful. I do not recommend this hostel.

Smack in center of Lapa, amazing party scene. Friendly knowledgeable staff (ryan!). Great building with cool atmosphere

Manga Hostel is a nice place to stay!!! The breakfast is very good, people are very helpful and hostel is very clean!!!! I really enjoyed my stay there!

• 31st Oct 2014

A good place to stay if you wanna be near the centre of the city. Even during the night there are some bars where you can drink and eat something. It's near Santos Dumont Airport, if you get a cab it'll cost at about 10 reais. Inside the building it is quiet, at least it was during the 2 days I spent there :D

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels