Manor House Backpackers Reviews

28 Manor Place, Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand

I walked into my room the Manor House and immediately went downstairs to extend my reservation. It was cozy, well designed, and clean. The location is a 10-15 minute walk from the Octagon, which is quite nice because it is more quiet where it is. I would go back in a heartbeat- for a week this time!

• 25th Feb 2015

Thanks for your nice review, hope to see you again soon.

Driveway extremely steep and dangerous for parking.

Very clean, very friendly guy on duty (the Hungarian guy) and very convenient if you're travelling by Naked Bus (it's only a few minutes walk to their bus depot). Also the dorm was nice and spacious and the whole place was quiet at night. The only problem was the wi-fi wasn't working the night I was there. Highly recommended.

Thanks for your nice review.

There were no locks on the dorm room and no lockers in the rooms either, anyone could just walk into the room. there are two buildings in the building I stayed in I think there were 5 rooms and 10-12 beds in a couple of the rooms and not sure what the other ones were so lets just say 30-50 people and there are only 2 toilets and 3 showers. Its about a 15 min walk to center of town I only picked this hostel cause it was the closest to the bus i was traveling with, picked up from. Staff helpful

Hi thanks for reviewing us and we appreciate all your feed back. Firstly lockers will be added in the near future we are currently installing security cameras for added security. The house you stayed in holds 30 guests there are 6 rooms in total. We hope to add a couple more toilets and showers this winter, an architect is currently drawing up plans now. Yes we are the closest hostel to Naked Bus but we also have a free taxi service from Intercity bus depot to our hostel. cheers

great location. has a games room out back. free wifi which is unheard of in NZ. clean. homey. no lockers in the rooms however. beds were very comfy. can be very sociable if youre pushy. bike lockup areas. clean. informative staff.

thanks for reviewing us, we are hoping to have lockers in the hostel in the near future.

average hostel, smells from the kitchen were in the bedroom too which was not very pleasant

Sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us. All the best with the rest of your trip.

This is a really nice homely feeling hostel. Our biggest issue was not having lockers in the dorm, especially as the room itself does not have a lock on it. The kitchen is very clean and is well stocked with all the pans, utensils, crockery etc that you need. The bathrooms are clean and the showers are really good. It is in a good location only a short walk to the city centre. The wifi is also good and works well throughout the hostel (we were given 1gb each for our stay, plenty for 2 nights).

Pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Lockers will be added to the hostel shortly. By the way the wifi is unlimited so when vouchers run out we have more available at reception.

Really a cool place to stay. Friendly staff, 12 bed dorm didn't feel so crowded because room was huge, heaps of free wifi when you check in, and overall pretty clean. Security is a little lacking with only locks on the main door, but didn't really feel like we needed anymore. Only negative was having so few bathrooms, only one for the whole house. But its understandable being an older place. Overall really great and would recommend to others.

Thanks for the review pleased you enjoyed yourself. More toilets and showers are being put in in the near future. All the best with the rest of your trip.

What an amazing time! Thank you for your hospitality. Looking forward to see you guys again.

Thanks and happy christmas

I was lucky to get a non bunkbed. With many guests it would be good with more showers and bathrooms. I understand the house is old, so not so many plugs and cold at night. But still a nice hostel, and good if you travel with nakedbus.

Thanks for your review. We do have plans to add more toilets and showers. There are oil heaters in every room for all guests to use. All the best with the rest of your travels.

Stuff is awesome for first and place was easy to find in peaceful street near city centre! Room we stayed in was huge but still most silent one we stayed in, even that it was full of people 20 something and bed was most comfortable on all 19 hostels I stayed in on my trip!!! BED IS THE BEST ONE! Dunedin as a city was boring on sunday evening and scary empty!

Thank you for your nice review. Dunedin is a small town if you compare it with the big cities of the world. : ) I think the surrounding nature makes it special.

Pretty nice overall. The employees were super friendly. Loved the atmosphere. The building itself is beautiful.

• 13th Sep 2014

Thanks for your nice comments all the best with your travels.

I stayed in the Tomlinson House which was a very dreary place compared to Manor House which just had better kitchens and bathrooms. Decor like my great grandmas house. Wi Fi was s***. Security needs improving. But the staff (particularly the man with glasses and a shaved head) were very helpful - even carried my luggage to my room. TV room is a good place to meet ppl. Kitchen is nice in Manor house.

Thanks for your comments, sorry you found it dreary the season is very quiet right now, all the best with the rest of your trip.