Manor House Backpackers Reviews

28 Manor Place, Dunedin, PO Box 624, Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand

Nice enough for a night. Was very disappointed with the lack of salt and pepper, tea and sugar and so forth.

• 5th Apr 2014

My stay at Manor House was awesome thanks to the manager and the woofers working there. The house was well-equipped, comfortable and homely. I would definitely recommend Manor House and would stay there again if I were staying in Dunedin again. Thanks Andy, for making my stay enjoyable and comfortable.

• 29th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

It is a nice Hostel 15 mins from the City Center. They have to houses, both fully equipped but only one with a lounge. It is a nice atmosphere because it is an old manor. Good price and very friendly staff! We could book the cadbury factory tour there for less money and got a good map of dunedin for free.

• 28th Mar 2014

Nice retro style hostel, lovely cats :) Amazing credit card machine and stylish cash box. Thank you for the lovely stay. Nice and clean hostel, friendly staff. Keep up rocking !

Had such a good time here! The Hostel was nice and clean and warm I especially love the style of the building both inside and outside ! came across a lot of interesting and friendly people here during my stay we all love the atmosphere here and last but not the least the staff here are awesome they always willing to help make me so feel at home !! I recommend MANOR HOUSE BACKPACKER unreservedly!!

• 25th Mar 2014
  • China

Advertises free wifi, that is a lie! Location is on a nice quiet street with plenty of parking. Kitchen was big, rooms were nice.

Because the property was so putrid and the linen and bedding filthy we did not stay here we went and found accommodation elsewhere and lost our deposit. Very dissappointed.

I bked a double room two weeks in advance but when we got there they weren't expecting us. They said it wasn't a problem and showed us to our room, which was in an out building, pretty much a brick shed that had been painted. It was very cold and damp, the pillows were tiny and there mattress horrible. Also because of the location not being part of the main building the bathroom was a walk to the other building, through the kitchen and then up the stairs, not very convenient.

We arrive to hear the customer in front of us complaining about no toilet paper, the office was not open until 10am when the sign said 9am, no free internet and no instructions. The receptionist said that she started at 10am and told the lady she had given her instructions for wifi, which actually, she had forgotten to do. We were then told, unfortunately due to over booking, our twin room not avail and we could share a mixed 6bd dorm for good rate, $10 < than twin,saw it and did not stay....

• 15th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

dirty,and smelly rooms. super old. one of the lower quality hostels i stayed in new zealand. would not stay there again... they'd better invest some money and renovate the place. it has a lot of potential

Beautiful atmosphere and nice hosts! We got to see the dogs work around the sheeps, really interesting! Thank you Tim and Geva for some lovely nights at your sheep farm accomondation!

• 31st Jan 2014
  • Sweden

Friendly staff, large and comfortable dorm rooms and heaps of kitchen and community space. The backyard was nice too! Thanks for making a place so friendly!

This hostel is exactly what I expect of a hostel. It has lots of character, great location and great people. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable (she was a local) the garage out of the street parking is a plus but limited... loved my night here!

Despite some of my low ratings the staff, atmosphere and other guests made this one of my favourite hostels. It is very laid back and welcoming but as a result it is a little rough round the edges. Felt like a home away from home.

Good middle of the bunch hostel Could benefit with some modernising but has Dunedin student charm No private bathrooms but communal facilities clean Did not use kitchen during stay

There were no lockers in the room and you had no key for the door as well. It was so cold in the dorm because of old windows. It is a little walk into the city centre. Good is the free parking in front of the house.

Dunedin is not a place that is on too many people's bucket lists but if you are here or just passing through then I'd strongly recommend staying a couple of nights at the Manor House Backpackers. A 15 minute walk from the Octagon in the town centre and a bit of tug from the Inter-City bus terminal, its a funky atmospheric hostel that offers a good vibe, generous sized dorms, adequate washroom facilities,strong hands-on management and really good value for money. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

The manor needs a good clean up and refreshment. Overall the least appreciated of all thé backpackers we had in NZ.

• 5th Nov 2013

No staff was present at 10 o'clock in the morning.