Maple Leaf Guesthouse Reviews

E4, Block E, 12nd Floor, Chung King Mansions, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Very clean but very small. The staff was very friendly and once you get up the elevators and into the hostel its great. The building itself and the walk up to it is a bit sketchy. Awesome location though.

Shortly after checking in, I was told that they had accidentally double-booked my room. I was shuffled out to another guest house two floors down. So that was a bit inconvenient and strange. That said, the room I got was perfectly clean and ideal for my very short (12 hour) stay. The single room was TINY, but perfectly serviceable. Despite its reputation, I never felt unsafe in Chunking Mansions - frankly, I think a lot of its reputation stems from pure racism towards Indians and Africans!

To get to the lift, after walking in the entrance of the Chungking Mansions, walk straight and then right. The E elevator is in the back right of the first floor. The lift on the left will bring you to the 12th floor. The woman at reception was pleasant and friendly. Single room is small. I'm 5'6", but any taller and I would be claustrophobic, especially in the bed. Shower leaked. The sheets and pillowcase smelled weird. Very convenient and cheap place to stay for a few nights.

Hostel was clean & functional.It's not a hotel,so don't expect white bedding, white towels & plenty of space to move around. Expect a single bed, shower, toilet, air con or fan, wifi & towel provided. Great place to stay for the price you pay. Receptionist friendly enough. Guys loitering around the entrance are hawkers, they'll call out to get your attention or stare but not unsafe. Take a taxi (5USD) to airport train for early morning flight. K3 bus from Holiday Inn wasn't reliable at 6am.

• 10th Nov 2014