Mar-Mar Reviews

via Malborghetto, 4, Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Italy

Beds, not bunks. Comfortable mattresses and spotless linen. Good kitchen facilities. Bathroom 'en suite', with hot water at all times. Excellent - but somewhat limited - breakfast in restaurant/bar owned by hostel-owner. Ably assisted by Oliver - talented artist and charming 'host'. For me, Mar-Mar made Riomaggiore really memorable!

• 10th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

Great stay at the Mar-Mar. Mario, the owner, was incredibly friendly and quick with a cup of coffee and to advise on route closures. Rooms are large with a large kitchen. Will recommend to all my friends

• 10th Oct 2014

The only bad thing is there is no wifi in the hostel, you have to go to the bar and access the internet. We met an artist during our stay, he is funny and also give us suggestion where to go. We did enjoy our stay in Mar Mar.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Malaysia

Check in was convenient from train station, but it took a while for person to come from office to show me to my room which was a very dated two room converted apartment with four beds in same area as kitchenette. Bunks with spring support were very saggy and felt I was sleeping in a hole. Rooms were clean, not cramped, with two full baths worked well for the nine beds. Overall I was satisfied with stay, just not up to standards I'd seen from previous hostel world locations.

Must be bed bugs or mosquitoes, woke up with 5 bites on left arm, 3 bites on right arm, 2 on right leg and 1 on left leg. Also, I slept at the bottom bunk and seem to have waken up with crumbled wall stucco on bed? The bed felt like it has crumbs. The housekeeper cleans it we'll, the building just needs a lot of work. This is truly a dingy place to stay, worst amongst the hostel I stayed in and felt compelled to write a review. I left a day earlier because of the bed bug/ mosquito bites I had on

• 28th Sep 2014

A great place to stay if you're looking to explore the villages of Cinque Terre. Mar Mar is more of an apartment than a hostel - there's a proper kitchen, two bathrooms and a large balcony to sit and relax with newly found friends. It is very close to the train station, as well as the harbour and beach in Riomaggoire. The breakfast is simple, but satisfying (coffee and pastry). There are no lockers so remember to bring a lock for your bag. I'd definitely stay here again!

Hands down the worst hostel I've ever stayed in!! The apartment is owned by a man who has heaps of rooms spread out so we got a dark dingy room with people who were paying 20 euro instead 30 which is what we were paying and none of them were staying with 'Mar Mar'! So dodgy!! And the wifi is only at the office but he turns it off when he's not there so it's only on maybe 5 hours I'm the afternoon, which is when you're out enjoying the day. No safety at all and the room was nothing like photos!!!

This hostel is one of the BEST hostels in Cinque Terre. Great, and I mean GREAT Staff, large airy dorm with balcony, and really great location. I spoke with other travelers about other hostels, and neither were very nice from what I understood. Mario runs Mar-Mar and he is a very nice, very cool guy. I met some of the best people on my whole Italy trip here. True, there is no wifi in the room, however I thought it was nice that everyone wasn't living on their phone's. Overall, I would recommend.

We stayed in an 8-bed apartment right in the heart of Riomaggiore. It was absolutely amazing, it had a balcony with water glimpses, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and it was HUGE! It was a little bit old, but was clean. Because it is just one dorm, we got to know everyone staying there and spent most nights sitting on the balcony drinking wine, eating cheese and listening to a local musician play classical guitar!!! Cinque Terre is so amazing and this was a perfect base - definitely recommended!

Stayed here for 4 nights in late August. The place is more like an apartment which was fantastic. The facilities are pretty basic but al that you need. Has a fully equipped kitchen and two bathrooms. We loved how close we were to the centre of town in Riomaggiore - as soon as you come out of the tunnel of the train station, it's on your left. You do check in at a bar, which is also where you have brekky which is a pastry and a coffee. There is no wifi in the room but can be used in the bar.

This isn't much of a hostel, it's more of a room with beds and happen to be a shower. I slept on a sofa bed that engulfed me like a tortilla at night. If the city wasn't so darn amazing I would have something different to say but your in Cinque Terre. Protect your things. We and the other current roomates had to kick out a man who was taking picture up past out girls skirts. So that was one for the books. Bring a lock for your bag and apparently your body.

View all Cinque Terre Hostels