Mar-Mar Reviews

via Malborghetto, 4, Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Liguria, Italy

The hot water in the shower was not quite so good but overall a fantastic place to stay very clean and homly

Great location and very clean

Nice place. Clean enough. Would prob stay there again

Location was excellent. No place to put your luggage and showers were very cold.

its a good hostel, quite expensive for what it is (basicly just a big room with lots of beds and 2 bathrooms). The locations is very good and the staff in the bar are nice and helpful, the hostel was clean but the (hot) showers were not so good and there are no lockers or anything to put your valuables which is annoying. Cinque Terre is quite expensive in general, so I think the price is good for the area which is amazing!

• 8th Sep 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. The set up encourage the guests to socialise and it was easy to make friends. We all ended up going out one evening together. There is no place to keep your stuff safe, but Cinque Terre seems to be fairly safe in general. There is poor pressure for the hot water, but the nice balcony and social environment, good location makes up for that.

The older gentleman who checked me in was very unpleasant. There are no lockers and the "dorm" I was in was just an apartment with a ton of beds in the living room. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. It was nice to have easy access to a kitchen but I didn't use it while there. Also there is only WIFI access down in the bar where they expect you to buy stuff. I liked the area but there are more pleasant places to stay for the same price. I switched hostels and stayed a third night.

Great location. Nice balcony

The directions told me look for a lane way to my left once I hit the Main Street then look for the bar, Bar Onetto. That got me so lost! Haha! Bar Onetto is the very first bar you see on your left when you come out of the tunnel and turn onto the street :) so not too much crazy uphill walking. I was in a mixed dorm and we had a little balcony which was lovely. No ocean view but didnt mind at all as the beach was so so close. No wifi in the room but its in the bar which was fine. Enjoy :)

As mentioned by some other people, this is not really your usual hostel. Its basically just a shared bedroom, with no staff around at all. You have to check in at their cafe just down the street which is fine but for a couple of days its a good place to stay. There is a kitchen which is handy but very limited mini supermarket and quite expensive so if you wanted to save money and cook i would suggest going to the supermarket in a bigger town like La Spezia before you get there.

A great little hostel/apartment with 10 beds in Riomaggiore- so an awesome place to actually get to know the other travellers staying there and explore an incredible area. I loved that it was so small and tucked away right on the main street of Riomaggiore. A perfect place to explore Cinque Terre. Could improve the water heater for the shower, but hey, this isn't a 5-star hotel! Cold showers were refreshing.

• 8th Aug 2013

I enjoyed staying at Mar-Mar. However, the street name that was listed on the directions was wrong. But we eventually found it. There are a lot of stairs to climb to the room and the door was difficult to open. Other then that, there is a beautiful balcony to sit on and enjoy the views, and a nice kitchen. I would stay again.

Great location and good keep of the rooms. Not a great presence of staff (they gave me a key, that's it). Would have liked a map of the area or tips on where to go, or even a way to reach the staff during my stay! It was more of a room to sleep in than a hostel.

The Mar-Mar is fantastic for those wishing to be right in the center of Riomaggiore and 2 second walk from the beach. Definitely would recommend it to anyway interested.

Chinque Terre is just stunning. Check in was great with the person very friendly. The room was centrally located, very clean and the people friendly. The room rate was reasonable. Two complaints. The rooms lack a locker so you are dependent on the trust of the fellow hostelers. I suggest, especially helpful with the ocean nearby, they invest in lockers. Second, the door took forever to open and you had to do a "trick" to get it open. It was a very stressful hour+ and should have been shown to me

• 1st Aug 2013

Great place to stay. Feels like you are living in an Italian home should really come up with a better system for hot water though.

There is no lockers at all and it is just one big room so your stuff is out for everyone to see. The room is just full of very very old beds no air con or even a fan!!!!! If you go to bed first because its all one big room if over people are still up on the balcony there is no way you are going to get any sleep. So all up i would never stay here again!!!!

The directions to the hostel were perfect - it was very easy to find and was a great location relative to the metro station! Check-in was simple and the staff was easy going about keeping our bags for longer on the day we checked out. We loved our stay at Mar-Mar!

As this was my 1st hostel experience I was really lucky it started here. The staff are friendly the atmosphere is so wonderful and inviting. Just a great place.

Mar Mar is in a great location, close to the train station. Like most thing in the Cinque Terre it is up a lot of stairs! Great balcony overlooking the town. However, floors in bedroom were never cleaned when I was there, if you dropped anything on the ground it would be covered in dust. Showers have very little water pressure and are ice cold. On a positive note it does have a kitchen for guests to use. WiFi is only available in the bar where you check in. Cinque Terre is beautiful though!

« first « Prev 1 2 3