Mar-Mar Reviews

via Malborghetto, 4, Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Italy

Great stay at the Mar-Mar. Mario, the owner, was incredibly friendly and quick with a cup of coffee and to advise on route closures. Rooms are large with a large kitchen. Will recommend to all my friends

• 10th Oct 2014

The only bad thing is there is no wifi in the hostel, you have to go to the bar and access the internet. We met an artist during our stay, he is funny and also give us suggestion where to go. We did enjoy our stay in Mar Mar.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Malaysia

Check in was convenient from train station, but it took a while for person to come from office to show me to my room which was a very dated two room converted apartment with four beds in same area as kitchenette. Bunks with spring support were very saggy and felt I was sleeping in a hole. Rooms were clean, not cramped, with two full baths worked well for the nine beds. Overall I was satisfied with stay, just not up to standards I'd seen from previous hostel world locations.

Must be bed bugs or mosquitoes, woke up with 5 bites on left arm, 3 bites on right arm, 2 on right leg and 1 on left leg. Also, I slept at the bottom bunk and seem to have waken up with crumbled wall stucco on bed? The bed felt like it has crumbs. The housekeeper cleans it we'll, the building just needs a lot of work. This is truly a dingy place to stay, worst amongst the hostel I stayed in and felt compelled to write a review. I left a day earlier because of the bed bug/ mosquito bites I had on

• 28th Sep 2014

A great place to stay if you're looking to explore the villages of Cinque Terre. Mar Mar is more of an apartment than a hostel - there's a proper kitchen, two bathrooms and a large balcony to sit and relax with newly found friends. It is very close to the train station, as well as the harbour and beach in Riomaggoire. The breakfast is simple, but satisfying (coffee and pastry). There are no lockers so remember to bring a lock for your bag. I'd definitely stay here again!

Hands down the worst hostel I've ever stayed in!! The apartment is owned by a man who has heaps of rooms spread out so we got a dark dingy room with people who were paying 20 euro instead 30 which is what we were paying and none of them were staying with 'Mar Mar'! So dodgy!! And the wifi is only at the office but he turns it off when he's not there so it's only on maybe 5 hours I'm the afternoon, which is when you're out enjoying the day. No safety at all and the room was nothing like photos!!!

This hostel is one of the BEST hostels in Cinque Terre. Great, and I mean GREAT Staff, large airy dorm with balcony, and really great location. I spoke with other travelers about other hostels, and neither were very nice from what I understood. Mario runs Mar-Mar and he is a very nice, very cool guy. I met some of the best people on my whole Italy trip here. True, there is no wifi in the room, however I thought it was nice that everyone wasn't living on their phone's. Overall, I would recommend.

We stayed in an 8-bed apartment right in the heart of Riomaggiore. It was absolutely amazing, it had a balcony with water glimpses, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and it was HUGE! It was a little bit old, but was clean. Because it is just one dorm, we got to know everyone staying there and spent most nights sitting on the balcony drinking wine, eating cheese and listening to a local musician play classical guitar!!! Cinque Terre is so amazing and this was a perfect base - definitely recommended!

Stayed here for 4 nights in late August. The place is more like an apartment which was fantastic. The facilities are pretty basic but al that you need. Has a fully equipped kitchen and two bathrooms. We loved how close we were to the centre of town in Riomaggiore - as soon as you come out of the tunnel of the train station, it's on your left. You do check in at a bar, which is also where you have brekky which is a pastry and a coffee. There is no wifi in the room but can be used in the bar.

This isn't much of a hostel, it's more of a room with beds and happen to be a shower. I slept on a sofa bed that engulfed me like a tortilla at night. If the city wasn't so darn amazing I would have something different to say but your in Cinque Terre. Protect your things. We and the other current roomates had to kick out a man who was taking picture up past out girls skirts. So that was one for the books. Bring a lock for your bag and apparently your body.

Mario is a great host and shows you plenty of places to go for hikes, and makes a great cappuccino in the bar downstairs! This hostel is in a great location too close to the train station. Only downer was some of the beds are couch pullouts

Great Location at the entrance to Rio. Breakfast is a drink and pastry so corner store across lane ıs good. Would be a great place if had lockers, even if only for passport/laptops.

Very cute! The staff there were beautiful and very friendly, made some great mates and is right next to the station.

No real complaints, great value for your money. Only thing missing was lockers for valuables, though we were lucky to be staying with seemingly trustworthy people in the dorm.

• 20th Aug 2014

Great stay. The host was relaxed and laid back. Plus free breakfast and free amazing coffee. Would recommended a stay here.

It's like sharing an apartment with a bunch of people. There isn't so much a common area as that the apartment is the common area. But, you're guaranteed to talk to your roommates as you all share a large space. It was kept clean. The staff is a little laxadasical in their practices, but that's Italy - and if you needed something, they'd certainly help. Just a really chill environment, which is Cinque Terre as a whole. Not a bad gig. Could use lockers.

This was a wonderful hostel to stay at, and I would absolutely stay here again. Fabulous location and easy to find. No wifi in the rooms, but it is easily available at the bar just downstairs (and it is nice to be disconnected sometimes!). The hostel is a bit pricey, but partly that is just because of the location and being right in Riomaggiore. My one complaint is that there are no lockers, and I think that addition would really increase the value for money.

• 12th Aug 2014

Great location and friendly atmospherr. Far better than our friends hostels in the same price bracket

• 4th Aug 2014

Expensive for a 10 bed but it's the cinque terre and it's an apartment so it's not crowded at all. Great location at the bottom of the hill near all the restaurants and bars. My favourite was the terrace/balcony where you could sit with a beer and make new friends. Staff were down at the bar not that friendly but gave you everything you need. No lockers but with a bag lock I felt my stuff was safe and it was. No wifi but it was nice not to all be on our phones and play cards instead.

Had such a great time at this hostel. staying in a bigger dorm was a great way to meet other travellers as it had a nice communal dining area. i found the staff were initially not very welcoming however became better as my stay continued. awesome location, not hills required to go up to the hostel and very close to the marina and swimming areas. would definitely stay again

View all Cinque Terre Hostels