Mar e Iguana Hostel Reviews

Playa Ismito, Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro, Panama

I picked it for the price, but I wish I had chosen somewhere closer to town and not right next to a loud bar that partied till 3 am. In all fairness, the hostel staff said they have tried to get the police to stop the noise code violations for their guests, and because they live there. The rooms were open enough that a lot of mosquitoes ended up in them. I tend to get bitten, so I slept in bug spray. The staff are sweet though, and they held my valuables while I went on a snorkeling tour.

We are located in a quiet area just 2 km from the main road in front of the beach, there is a bar and is VERY rare that they play loud music, it must be some exeptional occasion. We are sorry that happen just the night you were stay with us...

This hostel is quite far away from town, a good 15 min walk, which is quite annoying if you want to go out for a couple of drinks in town. Staff is super friendly and helpful though and the place is quite nice. Stayed in a dorm with AC and have no complaints. Shower is only cold water though, and again, it is a long walk to town. Would try to stay closer to Bocas Town next time

This hostel is 15 minutes on foot away from the town-center. Some restaurants and a super-market are close by. The place is clean and the bar/restaurant is a cool place to hang around. The staff is very nice and forthcoming. The dorm is small but has enough space for your luggage and as a/c! Wifi is fast and But, on Friday and Saturday-night the place next door is very noisy till late (earplugs). The only sink for people in the dorm is outside. If it rains your brushing your teeth in the rain.

Great vibe....All the staff were really helpful, the hostal has a really nice garden and the beach across the street is ok. They are located in a quiet area just a short 15 min walk to town. The dorm room is quite small but confortable and clean. They offer good tours around the islands and help me with a lot of infos... Definitely recommend...

• 21st Jul 2015

When I arrived, had to request them to clean off the air con, was covered with several months worth of dust and dirt. There was NO hook in the bathroom to hang up a towel, or washcloth, NO surface to store toiletries. They did bring me a chair and a stool on which to place my laptop, NO place to put my suitcase, other than the floor. Large gaps in the walls, windows. Very noisy at night, loud music till late. Should provide cleaning daily, other hostels do...

Great staff, great facilities, close to the beach. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean, with air conditioning! No lockers, but the staff are more than glad to hold your valuables for you no problem. Was about a 10 min walk from the Main Street in town, but it made the location a lot quieter and a taxi was only $1.00. Overall great experience!

• 4th Apr 2015

The vibe of the place, the food, and the staff were all great. However, the "Iguana" single room that my girlfriend and i stayed in was just disgusting. Lines of ants, a leaking toilet that became a full on puddle in the bathroom, no hot water, and COCKROACHES. We stayed one night then got the hell out of there. They offered us a "nicer room" when i complained, but no way we were staying there any longer. If you can afford a real hotel, do it. Our experience in the room was not fun.

• 18th Mar 2015

Staying at a 'hippie' place we understand that things are not going to spotless but the lanai smelled like toilet and there was mold everywhere. We could have lived with that if it were not the bed springs which poked into us & squeaked loudly with every move. When we asked for a refund after after getting no sleep the manager politely assured us that the bed was 'fine' and then proceeded to stare me down as if willing me to agree. We could leave but with no refund unless he found another guest.

• 14th Mar 2015

Firstly, starting with the good comments, the beds were very comfortable, the staff were friendly. Nice deck area. Bad points. Only one toilet, one urinal and one shower between 18 people. Stupid things but sink outside (ok) but nowhere to put toiletries or clothes if you'd got changed. So brush your teeth and clothes on the floor. 6 bed dorm was pretty snug (think shed) so no space for bags and no lockers. I couldn't get the room to lock. Personally didn't like it, surprised about good reviews.

Well Thank you for mention the good point on your review... we apreciate it... I don't know where you got the number of 18 people for only one shower / 2 toilets when you share this services only with 6 person becouse all the others rooms has a private bathroom .. And bet you never had to queue for use both services!!! plus our shower is really big and has lot of space. We do not have lockers but we offer our guest to give us the valuable things as We think is even more secure that lockers.

The bar/common area here is awesome, however the dorm room i stayed in could use some work - it would be great if they just took out 2 of the bunk beds and used the space for some lockers instead. The bathroom also got dirty quickly because it is situated outside and is used by the 6 dorm rm occupants plus the patrons of the bar/restaurant - though it was cleaned daily. The staff are AWESOME though and do a good job of cleaning, so that was a plus. Great beachside location also

I love this hostel, great atmosphere súper Cold beer and the best food ever! Not far from town... Nice to chill and meet nice people! Just Love it*

Gracias Amigo... esperamo verlos pronto!!!

I spend excellent holiday hosted here, has pretty good service and attention, plus it is located front of a beautiful beach.

• 6th Mar 2015