Mar e Iguana Hostel Reviews

Feria del Mar entrance, Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro, Panama

Really nice, friendly staff, cheap drinks. I would totally recommend this hostel.

• 6th Apr 2014

A bit too far away from downtown! About 20 minute walk, approx 15 blocks. Otherwise very nice, big room, private bathroom, ac, friendly staff! Also beware the water supply is scarce sometimes, it is a problem of the islands, but it affects some hostels more than others.

cool little hostel, good cheap bikes for rent. about 15-20 min walk from town. could possibly use a couple more toilets and showers for the dorms and bar area

I loved this place! It was just far away enough from the party downtown to provide some respite. It had a nice relaxing ambiance and good vibe all around. Ricardo and all the bartenders and staff were super friendly and down to earth. Right across from the beach with a deck overlooking the ocean. Perfect spot!

• 18th Mar 2014

The hostel it's even not so bad...the location is really poor as well as the entire Bocas Del Toro City.

THANK YOU... We will take this as a Good and positive comment!!!... .-)

We had a cramped single sized room with a bunk bed. The ladder was vertical, rickety and had nails sticking out. The door lock was broken and was replaced with a padlock. The hostal is set in a pretty garden but was far from the towns restaurants, bars and shops and the docks where all the boats leave from. The nearby beach is dirty so you have to get a boat to decent beaches. In town there are loads of hostals and hotels that are not advertised on websites and are cheaper and much better.

Been traveling through Costa Rica and Panama for almost three months now, and Mar E Iguana was by far the best hostel I've stayed in thus far. The air conditioning was a life saver on those 100% humidity days, the kitchen was stocked with appliances, and the bar had good cheap drinks. But the atmosphere the staff creates is really what makes this place an incredible experience.

We enjoyed our stay here, as many mention it is a bit out of town but the walk in was nice each day. The tower & the hammocks where you could look out at the sea was a great place to relax. Rooms were small but with everything you need.

Overall, really nice place to stay.. A little out of the way to mainstreet,(15 min walk or $1 by taxi) but im sure many would appreciate the quieter enviroment

• 14th Feb 2014

My stay was fun. The hostel is a little far from the center of town. Good if your looking for a quieter hostel, bad if you are looking for night life. It's about 1 mile from the main part of the island which can be a challenging drunk walk. Hostel had a good atmosphere. Mix of age groups. More older then younger. Keep an eye on your stuff. They lock the doors at night but I still had a pair of board shorts stolen.

• 6th Feb 2014

Nice place, nice staff. :)

• Norway

We had to pay 5dollars as a deposit. In the end we didnt get it back, because we didnt bring back the key. The only problem was that we actually never got a key from the reception. So we had to pay for a key we never had. The staff wasnt too friendly and didnt want to discuss the issue any more.

• 6th Feb 2014

the deposit will be refunded only if you return the keys at the time of your check out, we keep the 5$ deposit ONLY in case of loss .. and in case our team did not have handed over the keys you could never have access in your room!! ... and if in any case that happened why did you not asked for! ...Anyway I hope this hasn't ruined your stay which was very welcome ... have a good journey...

Mar e Iguana is a good place to stay in Bocas. The staff are very kind and helpful. I only stayed one night and it was cool. The place is safe overall and you have a lot of conveniences in the area. You can rent a bike at the place and go all over the Island. Tip: Bring your repelent.

I loved the hammock with the sea view - great place :) The only drawback was that there were no lockers.

Realy nice hostel, i enjoy my Time äs well. Friendly employmends

This hostel has a great atmosphere. There is a really cool two level deck with hammocks that is a great place to relax and hang out with everyone staying at the hostel. The staff is great. Riccardo, Diego and Manuel are awesome guys. Diego offered me some of his coffee for free. Riccardo called other hostels for me when I couldn't find one on hostel world. I was there on New Year's eve and they made dinner for 10$. It was probably the best meal I had in Bocas (I was there for a month)

Staff are fantastic, location is good, a short walk from busy centre of town. A very chilled place to hang out at the bar. Very relaxed environment all round. Supermarket one block over is great. The owner of the hostel runs tours and is a super nice guy. We loved our stay and will be back!

Some of the staff are very friendly, others are lazy. Rooms aren't very secure and some of them (we stayed in two) smell of mold. The rooms are also not well sealed, so don't be surprised if you find cockroaches wandering about.

• 26th Dec 2013

The hostel is located in a tropical enviroment and humidity is a fact that we all have to cope with, specially after a few days of rain, the rooms have A/C which helps a lot, but we can´t have the A/C on if the room is empty. Pest control is something that by low has to be done in the island every three months, so it is very diffult that cockraches can be found in the rooms. Room do not have extra security as the island is pretty safe and we haven´t got a case of robbery in the hostel.

really nice place to stay,a little bit outside of the center soif you want to relaxit's really a perfect place.All the staff was really cool and helpful for everything you have to know about the island.feeled like at home

• 21st Dec 2013

Had a blast. Loved the bar. Got in our room a little late, but it wasn't a big deal because we just laid in the hammocks on top of their tree house sorta thing. Location is a little far out of town but if you don't mind walking 10 min to town then its the place for you. Also your not really right on the beach but across the street instead. Either way I loved it here.

View all Bocas del Toro Hostels