Mark Twain Hostel Reviews

131 Tremont Street Hartford, Hartford, USA

It was the only hostel in Hartford, it may have once been a part of hosteling international judging from the leaflets dated on display dated 2002. The elderly owners can barely speak broken English, if English is not your first language, you are gonna have a hard time. While the bed sheets seemed sanitary it is clear that no one ever cleans this 'hostel' thick layers of dust are abundant and there is quite the old house smell. However the prices are reasonable and it is a place to sleep with AC.

The main corridor & area smelt a bit stale & there was mould in the shower & in the toilet. The beds were not very comfortable & the rooms were very hot, making sleeping very difficult. The lockers were very useful though. The staff didn't show me around though, meaning I had to find the kitchen by myself & I couldn't find anywhere to fill up my water bottle which was quite unhelpful as it was very very hot.

David was a very kind and welcoming host to us. He was a very interesting man to chat with, and had a lot of information in the hostel to give to us regarding activities to do in Hartford & bus timetables.

• 10th Jul 2015

My biggest complaint is that the room smelled terrible, like a person who hasn't showered in months. The bedding seemed clean, and the room itself wasn't overly dirty. It was obvious the sink in the room hasn't been cleaned though. That smell though was aweful.

Very dirty, especially kitchen.

I was dubious about this hostel given some of the earlier comments, but I was relieved when I turned up. It's an old house and a bit run down, but the beds are clean and warm and the bedrooms and bathrooms are reasonably clean - the only real problem is the kitchen, which is not very clean. The owners are also lovely, very helpful and friendly. The office is only open at the stated hours, so you need to remember to contact them if you're arriving at a different time, but they answer emails fast.

• 26th Mar 2015