Mark Twain Hostel Reviews

131 Tremont Street Hartford, Hartford, USA

This is a great place to stay for a day or two for those who wish to make a layover on their way from NY to Boston or vice versa(also other city on the East Coast), there are a few eateries in the vicinity and the Mark Twain House is just less than 10-min walk from the property. The ambience is superb and its not like other hostels, no traditional reception desk, no communal area, it's just an American home setting managed by a sweet couple, made myself at home:)

• 9th Dec 2015
  • Hong Kong

Pick something else to save your money on, this place was I dive. I would not stay here again or recommend it to anyone. The shower had a moldy shower curtain, the sink wouldn't drain, the ceiling had water damage and looked like it was caving in. Just gross!

I couldnt get a room after reserving One. I tried emailing And calling in advance like i was Supposed to in ordem to make arrangements to let me in, but no One responded

• 26th Sep 2015

This is a very shabby, run down building. The neighborhood is safe, though not exactly in an exciting park of town. The hosts are a lovely older couple. Beds comfortable and clean

• 23rd Sep 2015

It was the only hostel in Hartford, it may have once been a part of hosteling international judging from the leaflets dated on display dated 2002. The elderly owners can barely speak broken English, if English is not your first language, you are gonna have a hard time. While the bed sheets seemed sanitary it is clear that no one ever cleans this 'hostel' thick layers of dust are abundant and there is quite the old house smell. However the prices are reasonable and it is a place to sleep with AC.

The main corridor & area smelt a bit stale & there was mould in the shower & in the toilet. The beds were not very comfortable & the rooms were very hot, making sleeping very difficult. The lockers were very useful though. The staff didn't show me around though, meaning I had to find the kitchen by myself & I couldn't find anywhere to fill up my water bottle which was quite unhelpful as it was very very hot.