Masada Backpacker Reviews

1st Floor, No.9, Jalan Masjid Lama, Mosque Valley, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

The staff were fantastic, very kind and helpful. I was unlucky to have the 4 bed dorm next to the front door and lobby, I assume the other rooms are better and have less traffic.

I enjoyed my short stay. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the team looking after the place are very friendly. Showers work well - good temperature and pressure, bed was comfortable, sheets were very clean, rooms were not crowded. It's also well-located, only 10 minutes to the waterfront. There are also helpful information available, for example, what times are the buses going to the airport, what to see around the area, average cost of goods and travel, etc.

• 25th Jan 2016

This hostel is overall pretty good but the matrasses are finished with plastic and that made my stay just ok.

Masada is very clean with a nice common area downstairs and another larger one upstairs with a tv with DVDs. Bathrooms are clean and eco-friendly (light and heater switches for each individual cubicle!), breakfast was the simple toast and cereal but was always plentiful in supply and there is free tea, coffee and hot chocolate throughout the day. Staff are very helpful and do a walk-round with each new guest so you know how everything works. Good location near bus station. 6-bed dorm was v nice.

Really great place. Clean and great looking. Lots of facilities. The only problem is the wifi was very very poor.

A nice hostel with helpful staff who can help you arrange onward travel. It is very clean and well presented and has a good social area where you can mix with other travellers. Beds are comfortable, dorms are quiet and not too big, you get power sockets and a locker, complimentary breakfast is good.

I stayed here for three nights. Comfortable beds, good wifi, plenty of toilets and showers with free shampoo and shower gel. Staff were very helpful and helped me to organise tours. Gaya street, clock tower, signal hill and the markets are all within walk distance. There are also lots of eateries close by. You can catch a bus to mount Kinabalu just around the corner.

Great hostel near all the attractions in the city. Within walking distance to the pier. Good breakfast.

What an amazing hostel! I cannot say enough how wonderful the staff was! They were incredibly helpful and friendly all the time. The hostel itself is incredibly clean and welcoming. They have great services including free breakfast until 1pm and free tea, coffee, and hot cocoa all day. I am actually sad to leave and envision coming back again! Thanks for everything. :)

That was my first time try to stay in hostel, its so amazing, clean, friendly staffs, feeling home

• 26th Dec 2015
  • Vietnam

Nice place with friendly staff. Small communal area but most people are using KK as a base to go elsewhere. Location is close to the bus terminal which is convenient.

Excellent hostel. Always clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 25th Dec 2015

Love the welcome chalk board

• 24th Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

Room is generally clean. However, it itches when i lie down on the bed. Started sneezing my head off too. I'm extremely allergic to dustmites so i think the culprit are the sheets.

• 23rd Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

Thank you so much for the hospitality!! This was one of my favourite hostels I've ever stayed in. Great atmosphere. Wonderful friendly helpful knowledgable staff. Everything is sparkling clean always. Great showers. Comfy beds. Great location. The little additions like free coffee/milo and sugar crackers go a long way to make the stay more comfortable and "home" feeling. And have computers to use was hugely appreciated !! Also Masada has amazingly kind hospitable owners. Thank you.

We stayed for only one night before our climb to Mt. Kinabalu but short as our stay was, we were very much welcomed and the staff was very accommodating. Our stay was comfortable and our inquiries were attended to. We'll definitely consider staying here again when we come back.

Loved it! This hostel is perfect!

Great friendly staff. I turned up at 6am after getting the night bus and even though check in wasn't till 2pm they were very helpful and let me shower and use the facilities before check in. Hostel very clean and cleaned regularly from what I saw. Beds very comfy. Think it was quiet season when I went as not many people around but good common areas for when there will be. Free breakfast, hot drinks and can refill your water

Wi-Fi was not available the whole night. Not was it fixed the next day. Outdated room. Staff was very friendmg tho.

These guys know exactly what makes agood backbackers hostel. All the mods and cons to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

• 30th Nov 2015