Masada Backpacker Reviews

1st Floor, No.9, Jalan Masjid Lama, Mosque Valley, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

This is the sort of place I have in mind when I imagine a proper youth hostel. The design encourages people to socialize, the staff is trained to give the information we all need, solid breakfast, clean, etc. Highly recommend while in KK.

I stayed in the six bed female dorm, simple but nice and clean with lockers. It's pretty quite but that might just be the location as well. Close to the markets and water front. I had a pair of Birkenstocks stolen from the porch within the first ten minutes of arriving but it could've easily been other guests. Everything else was good!

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Wales

Great hostel, best place in KK. Great location close to bus stops and waterfront. Well worth staying here plus breakfast is included!

KK is a small city, so even though Masada is near the edge, it's easy enough to get around. 24 hr staff is nice, but some of them seem to be more interested in their smartphone games over helping out the guests with planning and locations. One of the front desk staff also seemed unsure where anything was in the city, which was frustrating. Showers are communal and not that clean, rooms are clean and comfortable, common area is good and social with TV and good internet. Breakfast is moderate.

Very nice place to stay in KK.

• 11th Jul 2014

Really enjoyed my stay the hostel, the people and staff at the hostel are very friendly and the breakfast is great! Would defiantly recommend it!

• 10th Jul 2014

Great stay! Highly recommend!

• 10th Jul 2014

A nice, affordable hostel with friendly staff and good facilities. Good value for money. Bring a pair of flip-flops to use in the shower/bathrooms.

The staff are accommodating and friendly. Overall, this is a nice place to stay. Will recommend to friends.

• 4th Jul 2014
  • Philippines

Was a brilliant hostel, almost luxurious for a backpacker! Really good value for money. Can be improved: staff members seem more interested in playing with their mobile phones sometimes. Also there is no lau dry service

The staff are very accommodating. Everything is good.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Philippines

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good location, at walking distance to the port and the night markets.

second hostel in KK, certainly the best in that city

Masada was a nice backpacker hostel with friendly staff. We booked into a private two bed room which was outside the main room. It was very loud, as it was close to the back door which was always open. The dorms seemed really great though,and much quieter. If I stayed here again I would opt for a dorm room.

Nice hostel in a good location. It has a very nice feel about it - good atmosphere. I appreciated breakfast and the availability of hot drinks throughout my stay.

overall m vy satisfied especialy d strong water supply n attitude of receptionist dat worth to b mentioned. However i find dat d act of d cleaner to snobbishly turn off d airkon in my presence without even an excuse me or informing me dat she gonna clean d room is, unacceptable to d extent of being rude. No basic manner at al! Btw i missed d notis of cleaning time pasted bhind d door s i cek in late d nite b4...

What a fantastic place. The staff here are so helpful, they let us extend the room for free when my girlfriend was I'll and were incredibly helpful with free printing of onward tickets and booking of taxis. We stayed here after climbing kinibAlu so were quite tired but we felt so at home here. The free breakfast was excellent and hit the spot. Free tea and coffee making facilities. They've got the backpacker thing sorted here. We both had an excellent time!

They seem to have thought about EVERYTHING at Masada. By far the BEST (and I really mean it) hostel I have ever stayed at in the 15 countries I have traveled in. TWO pillows, your own plug, REAL coffee, lots of breakfast choices, several bathrooms and showers (all clean), a locker, A/C, the beds are comfortable, security is great, lots of information about the area, competent and friendly but professional staff, a large fridge you can store things in, a microwave, air freshener!!!? WOW MASADA!

Lovely hostel with excellent staff. It is a bit far up the hill though from the rest of the action and you'll find that only three toilets and four showers is fine, until guests start using the toilets to shower, dress, etc. They need signs so the toilets are only used as toilets.

• 26th May 2014

Friendly feel to the hostel - guests and staff are friendly. Very clean. There is probably one too few toilets but never has to wait more than a few minutes. Breakfast usually includes fruit which is rare for a hostel! Strong wifi and great A/C. I would stay here again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3