Masada Backpacker Reviews

1st Floor, No.9, Jalan Masjid Lama, Mosque Valley, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

They seem to have thought about EVERYTHING at Masada. By far the BEST (and I really mean it) hostel I have ever stayed at in the 15 countries I have traveled in. TWO pillows, your own plug, REAL coffee, lots of breakfast choices, several bathrooms and showers (all clean), a locker, A/C, the beds are comfortable, security is great, lots of information about the area, competent and friendly but professional staff, a large fridge you can store things in, a microwave, air freshener!!!? WOW MASADA!

Lovely hostel with excellent staff. It is a bit far up the hill though from the rest of the action and you'll find that only three toilets and four showers is fine, until guests start using the toilets to shower, dress, etc. They need signs so the toilets are only used as toilets.

Friendly feel to the hostel - guests and staff are friendly. Very clean. There is probably one too few toilets but never has to wait more than a few minutes. Breakfast usually includes fruit which is rare for a hostel! Strong wifi and great A/C. I would stay here again.

Great place! Staff were friendly, booked a taxi for me at 4am. They make your bed!!!! Breakfast is free! Other guests were friendly and it's quiet after midnight if you are getting up to go diving etc.. Perfect hostel!

• 24th May 2014

The staff were super friendly and very helpful. It was a really nice social hostel. Breakfast was amazing always fruit, bread and cereal. Nice and close to the night market, shops and bus station. Would definitley stay here again! Thanks!

Really nice hostel, great helpful staff. The free coffee, cookies and fruits.. all along the day is a plus :) Very clean as well.

Just great

A comfort place, a friendly and homey Hostel at the heart of the city. Just perfect for our vacation!! I would not look for any other place to stay the next time we will be vacationing at Kota.

• 22nd May 2014
  • Philippines

best hostel in KK!

• 18th May 2014
  • Malaysia

Great backpackers, well located to the fish markets, bus station and some bars on the waterfront. Friendly staff and lots of interesting travelers.

This is a great hostel! Staff is superfriendly. Cookies, coffee, tea and hot chocolate (!) provided all day long. Breakfast contains cereal, toast and fruits. Dorms and privates are clean. We tought the rooms downstairs were way less cosy than the ones upstairs. It was no problem to change our room. Showers downstairs are superspacious and clean. I really recommend this hostel!

I loved this place. It is perfectly located right by the airport bus and minibus station, etc... The staff were really nice and always cleaning, very clean place. The air con made it very comfortable. The free breakfast was nice and the free coffee was excellent. The free use of computers was also very nice. There are 3 wifi signals. Best of all no bedbugs. It was not a party hostel and was quiet for the most part, but people were still friendly and went out. It really is the best hostel in KK.

This is my first time to stay in female-dorm type room. At first, I'm a bit afraid with the security of my belongings, but my worries are gone because I have a good impression during my stay in Masada. The staffs are very friendly and helpful. And, I also like the free banana, cup cakes and hot chocolate that provided for us :). I will come and stay in Masada again when I visit KK next time.

I had really great time there! Thanks for the kindest host and it helps a lot! And I also met many great friends there!

• 30th Apr 2014
  • China

The choices for breakfast is good, particularly important before heading to Mount Kinabalu for the day's hike. Toilets are surprisingly very clean, even though the drainage of water in the bathrooms is a little slow. The atmosphere is also lacking, but amenities are sufficient for a comfortable stay.

Place is very secured. It is quite popular in Kota Kinabalu so it is not hard to find.

Great hostel - good location, good value for money and very clean! The breakfast and coffee/Milo machines were much appreciated too! The staff were also friendly and always happy to help. I would definitely recommend it to anyone planning a visit to Kota Kinabalu. :)

Clean place. Good breakfast. Love the coffee machine.

Good location and staffs.Clean and quiet. Deserve to recommed to your friends.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • China

The reception is 24 hour. The staff have provided extensive tour information for you to peruse and can help you with almost any issue you may have. Somehow, they provide drinks (beer) cheaper than just about any shop. I found the beds to be excellent, firm, with good pillows. I was lucky enough to sleep on a normal bed too. The common area is great and I was able to meet some really great people there. Most people go here to climb Mt Kinablu, which I am sad say is a bit of a tourist trap

View all Kota Kinabalu Hostels