Masuya Ryokan Sengokuhara Onsen Reviews

160 Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone National Park, Japan

It was a good, memorable experience in a traditional Japanese Ryokan, including an onsen!

I loved this place! The location is hard to get to (50 minute bus ride up a mountain), but once you're there, the location is great. Beautiful surroundings, lots of hiking, other stuff too. Natural hot spring bath, which is great, right inside the hostel. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly--the man rode his bike out to the bus stop to lead us back when I called for directions. It's true he doesn't speak much English, but he's sure friendly, and I don't expect much Eng. in Japan.

The manager was courteous and friendly. The ryokan is well sited for hiking in Hakone National Park and an economical place to stay (in a generally expensive area). I enjoyed my stay there.

• 30th Jul 2014

Room was alright. Pillow felt a little like a beanbag. AC seemed to work only half the time (a problem in midsummer Japan). We got back early one of the days and the manager brought us some sweet watermelon. That was a nice bonus. If you're basing your trip from Haione Yumoto, the Sengokuhara area is a 30 minute bus ride away. I wished we had stayed a little close to there.

The owner was a really great guy and he did all he could to help us out. The room was just fantastic. We had a great stay.

Mr Kanno was a very welcoming host. He also went to great lengths to return our mobile phone to us which we left behind in the room, which was very kind of him and very much appreciated.

If you want to experience rural Japan and visit a ryokan at the same time, this place is a must-visit. The owner goes out off his way to make your stay extremely pleasent, and it will be! Just note that he doesn't speak much English, but you'll be able to communicate easily enough. You'll feel like your back home when staying in this ryokan, strongly recommended!

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Norway

A nice, basic ryokan - traditional style Japanese lodging house - with a friendly owner, who speaks a few words of English. A great opportunity to try an onsen, with actual hot springs water (as opposed to just hot water). Overall, a pleasant stay. Although, Wi-Fi would be a welcome addition to the list of services.

Great place, lovely traditional Japanese style room, twin room very spacious, clean. Shared bathrooms (men and women). You pay extra to use shower/hot spring (but only about 300 Yen extra, it's optional). Staff didn't speak English but very helpful and friendly, so good if you know some basic Japanese (the husband spoke a few words but he wasn't there all the time). Hostel is easy to find from bus stop, but there's not much in the village (a few restaurants).

This Ryokan Onsen is for me one of the best way to discover Japan. Nice atmosphere in a small familial house. The location is close from the lake and the mountains and far from the main touristic area. Only point is the thin wall and noisy neighbors during my stay.

• 25th May 2014

Staff does not speak english, but are very kind and accomodating. The place is a bit away from Hakone attractions, but is easily accessible through many bus lines. For the price I paid for a single bed ryokan here compared to the hotels in Hakone, i wouldn't complain though!

Good value for money! The owner was really friendly. Onsen was very relaxing.

It would be good if wi-fi works in room. I found that signal was not that strong and had to be at corridor area to connect as there is no common room or living room area that people could station.

A well priced place in a region that can get very expensive. It's a bit out of the way, but Hakone is a large area so you spend a bit of time on the bus anyway. But it did come with its own natural mineral spas and robes so you can have a good long hot soak at the end of the day and then relax in your room in your robes. The bedding is traditional futons on tatami mats which is nice. I was in the room furthest from the wifi so the signal was weak but other rooms should be Ok.

When I arrived mid-afternoon the room seemed ok but by evening the hallway and room had a strong stench of fuel oil. Opening the window helped a bit but the smell was still quite pungent. Noise was also a real problem. People in the next room talked until very late and sounded like they were in my room. Same with the guest on the other side who snored most of the night. Also, mechanical vibrations came up through the floor from equipment below which even good earplugs could not block out.

• 1st Apr 2014

Staying here was a great experience. For the price, the ryokan atmosphere and onsite mineral baths were amazing. The rooms were clean and charming, and the owner was very nice, though with limited English. Protip: we didn't realize that there was a space heater in the room, apparently because we weren't curious enough to wonder what it was even though it was in plain view, and consequently we nearly froze (we also decided to leave the windows open). So, close the windows and use the heater.

Great experience..and value for money..directed to a place to eat 50 meters away...food was traditional japanese...soon good as was the breakfast at the ryokan

View all Hakone National Park Hostels