Masuya Ryokan Sengokuhara Onsen Reviews

160 Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone National Park, Japan

Both the Ryokan and the surrounding area were a perfect fillip to the rest of our stay based out of Tokyo. A truly unique experience of authentic Japanese culture & living. Also, the hot-spring inside the property was perfection. I would recommend this hostel, especially just into off-season in Japan, it was quiet, peaceful and so much needed for a weary set of travellers.

This wasn't the worst accommodation I've ever stayed however it was easily the most disappointing.. We came in and nobody was here, so we had to help ourselves to a room. The rooms were never cleaned, there were no showers, the staff couldn't speak any English, the place was gerenally a mess, also it was terribly located well out of town..... But I would forgive all of this if it wasn't so expensive!!! Just that's ultimately the problem, its just so overpriced.

it was a very nice stay, but to short (one night) to tell more about it

• 4th Sep 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

It was a good, memorable experience in a traditional Japanese Ryokan, including an onsen!

I loved this place! The location is hard to get to (50 minute bus ride up a mountain), but once you're there, the location is great. Beautiful surroundings, lots of hiking, other stuff too. Natural hot spring bath, which is great, right inside the hostel. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly--the man rode his bike out to the bus stop to lead us back when I called for directions. It's true he doesn't speak much English, but he's sure friendly, and I don't expect much Eng. in Japan.

The manager was courteous and friendly. The ryokan is well sited for hiking in Hakone National Park and an economical place to stay (in a generally expensive area). I enjoyed my stay there.

• 30th Jul 2014

Room was alright. Pillow felt a little like a beanbag. AC seemed to work only half the time (a problem in midsummer Japan). We got back early one of the days and the manager brought us some sweet watermelon. That was a nice bonus. If you're basing your trip from Haione Yumoto, the Sengokuhara area is a 30 minute bus ride away. I wished we had stayed a little close to there.

The owner was a really great guy and he did all he could to help us out. The room was just fantastic. We had a great stay.

Mr Kanno was a very welcoming host. He also went to great lengths to return our mobile phone to us which we left behind in the room, which was very kind of him and very much appreciated.

If you want to experience rural Japan and visit a ryokan at the same time, this place is a must-visit. The owner goes out off his way to make your stay extremely pleasent, and it will be! Just note that he doesn't speak much English, but you'll be able to communicate easily enough. You'll feel like your back home when staying in this ryokan, strongly recommended!

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Norway

A nice, basic ryokan - traditional style Japanese lodging house - with a friendly owner, who speaks a few words of English. A great opportunity to try an onsen, with actual hot springs water (as opposed to just hot water). Overall, a pleasant stay. Although, Wi-Fi would be a welcome addition to the list of services.

Great place, lovely traditional Japanese style room, twin room very spacious, clean. Shared bathrooms (men and women). You pay extra to use shower/hot spring (but only about 300 Yen extra, it's optional). Staff didn't speak English but very helpful and friendly, so good if you know some basic Japanese (the husband spoke a few words but he wasn't there all the time). Hostel is easy to find from bus stop, but there's not much in the village (a few restaurants).

This Ryokan Onsen is for me one of the best way to discover Japan. Nice atmosphere in a small familial house. The location is close from the lake and the mountains and far from the main touristic area. Only point is the thin wall and noisy neighbors during my stay.

• 25th May 2014

Staff does not speak english, but are very kind and accomodating. The place is a bit away from Hakone attractions, but is easily accessible through many bus lines. For the price I paid for a single bed ryokan here compared to the hotels in Hakone, i wouldn't complain though!

View all Hakone National Park Hostels