Masuya Ryokan Sengokuhara Onsen Reviews

160 Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone National Park, Japan

It would be good if wi-fi works in room. I found that signal was not that strong and had to be at corridor area to connect as there is no common room or living room area that people could station.

When I arrived mid-afternoon the room seemed ok but by evening the hallway and room had a strong stench of fuel oil. Opening the window helped a bit but the smell was still quite pungent. Noise was also a real problem. People in the next room talked until very late and sounded like they were in my room. Same with the guest on the other side who snored most of the night. Also, mechanical vibrations came up through the floor from equipment below which even good earplugs could not block out.

• 1st Apr 2014

Great experience..and value for money..directed to a place to eat 50 meters away...food was traditional japanese...soon good as was the breakfast at the ryokan

Friendly owner, and very nice breakfast. Very good value.

• 3rd Feb 2014

An authentic, traditional hostel. Guests are provided with Japanese robes, a futon to sleep on and there is an onsen on site. Although the hostel was very difficult to find ( I had to ask a number of other people, the information centre did not know) it was worth the effort. It is up in the National Park, and near mountains, botanic gardens and many other areas of historic and religious interest.

The owner was very kind and friendly although he didn't speak much English, He really made us feel at home with his warm hospitality and the ambience of hostel definitely helped. My bf and I would like to relay our sincerest thanks to him for being such a wonderful host :). We were unable to do so on the last day of our stay as he was not at home then. We will certainly recommend our friends to visit his hostel if they visit Hakone.

Traditional japan resident house like what you will see can manga. Cool. The weather was cold but our room was cosy. Hot spring for male was small, 3 guys at a time and female hot spring at most 2 at a time. I HIGHLY recommend this place cause we have a big room. Due to location we didn't see much other guests there so Guess we were lucky having the hot spring to ourselves. Private. lol

I enjoyed my stay at Masuya Ryokan Sengokuhara Onsen. The value for money is excellent. I very much liked the natural onsen. There are two onsens in the ryoken, and you can reserve it for privacy, or simply lock the door. I used the onsens about 3-4 times over my stay and never had to share it with other guests. The room was sufficiant, with a small fridge, fresh hot water, a tea set, and a few small plates.

• 19th Oct 2013