Matchbox The Concept Hostel Reviews

39 Ann Siang Road, Singapore, Singapore

The hostel was one of the best hostels I ever visited. Don't be shocked by a couple of negative comments on hostelworld - if you're in the mood for trying out something new and open-minded enough, you'll definitely love it here. Thanks also to the staff for giving us a tour when we were checking in and then allowing us to leave our valuables with them for a couple of hours as we were checking out! The location's really awesome too.

The hostel is very uncomfortable for living, not enough space for keeping your stuff and space organised very poorly. Very noisy, during three nights of stay couldn't sleep properly even once, the light is always on, also no wifi in common area, was struggling all three days, definitely not recommend it.

I suggest you try and get one of the bottom beds (if you are in the female dorm) since the upper beds were quite high up and the ladder is narrow, making it unsafe and inconvenient. It may have just been the bed/capsule I stayed in but it had a funny wooden, musty smell. Of the two nights I stayed there I got bitten by insects as well. Other than that the bathrooms were clean and the location is v. convenient. They also provide free breakfast-tea, coffee, juice, bread and cereal which is great!

I still consider matchbox a good hostel for its cost since my previous stay in 2013. The staff are as friendly as ever, always willing to provide direction and other tips to help travelers enjoy Singapore better. The place is clean, with lockers, towel and an awesome massage chair that really makes your stay a lot easier and more comfortable. The weird smell of either old wood, paint or varnish in the capsule was really bothersome though, especially to those with allergies.

I have this love hate feeling with this place. My first impression was... "Damn, this place is so small.". and they should separate between dry toilet and wet toilet. But after a while i was kinda comfortable there. The location is ok. I can just walk to Marina Bay. I usually take the MRT from Chinatown to go other places. It actually nice experience. I think I will stay here again if I come to visit Singapore someday.

It was great place to stay.I just stay only for one day but if I can have a chance to stay again, I will definitely stay at the Matchbox hostel again. I visited Singapore for the first time but I could find here easily. And the room? bed? bunker? was so comfy and secure. I could use my own locker just under my bed (so, lower bunker was much better). During my stay, the air conditioner was broken (water was coming from somehow) but it was okay. I could find all delicious restaurant and shop.

As far as Hostels go, this is one of the best. Not perfect but one of the best. Good value for money but don't forget earplugs - with trekkers arriving from around the world people are sleeping at all hours and awake at all hours due to jet lag. I do highly recommend Matchbox as one of the very best in Singapore. It's a 10 minute walk from the Chinatown MRT stop and the neighborhood looks very provincial with high class restaurants and bars. A very nice location.

• 23rd Sep 2014