Matchbox The Concept Hostel Reviews

39 Ann Siang Road, Singapore, Singapore

Giant dorm room, 20 beds I think. Wasn't even half full when I was there though. Bit of free breakfast was nice. Solid location in Chinatown.

Great location as we love china town. Mrt is only 5 mins away as well. Dorm was clean and had own small lockers. The showers had complimentary shower gel which is a really nice touch catching on with a lot of hostels now. Really secure with tap in cards and 24 hour supervised. Nice loft area. Bad point was the bed. It was awful and so was my boyfriends . It was as thin as a pancake and had moulds of past users. Eurgh. one communal toilet area which was downstairs.

• 15th Feb 2014

When i firstly come inside i strongly smell of guest's shoe as everyone leaves them in front of reception desk,everything is not free even an adapter.The space is so limited and no safety box( of course it is charged if you want to keep your valuable things) the top of bed is so dirty i can see all dusts there (i stayed in 16 dorms) there is no friendly common area to chill. Key deposit is too expensive as other hostel only keeps 10SGD but Matchbox keeps 20SGD and it should not cost that much.

• 14th Feb 2014
  • Thailand

We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us. We provide free towel, shower amenities and a locker for your luggage with your stay and we apologise if this had not been communicated. We also have 2 common spaces (1st and 3rd level) with free-to-use massage chairs, games, DVDs and TV for relaxation. Key deposits are also refundable upon check-out. We'd like to send you a token of our apologies. Please email us, thank you.

this is a good hostel,but after 10 o'clock there are no receiption ,so if u need sth after 10 o'clock it will be hard for u..

Nice little hostel with a friendly atmosphere. I guess it's a decent price considering it's Singapore. The beds were nothing fancy and maybe a little worn out but i've definitely experienced worse elsewhere. Good central location in China Town and close to the MRT. Shower/bathroom area was also pleasant and other friendly travellers staying here made for an enjoyable stay! Would recommend.

Very good capsule style hostel. Only stayed for 1 night but enjoyed chatting with the friendly staff. They helped me top-up my SIM and card and gave me some great local food recommendations. Atmosphere to meet other travelers seemed a bit limited but as I was only staying 1 night I wasn't concerned. I would definitely stay here again if looking for a hostel in Singapore.

Nice and special designer loft, including the massager. Good location and really convenience.

It was nearly a clautrophobic experience for my friend and me. It was a windowless room, with "capsules" as beds. Very very tiny room, with almost no space for the luggage and us. Not my style of hostel to be. The photos doesn't show how small the room is. I stayed in a 2 beds room. No air con in the common places during all my stay. We had to ask to the staff to turn on the a/c in the room every time we arrive.

I loved my box, very comfortable and u keep our intimity. Bathroom really clean, breakfast included, common room really nice to relax. Staff very helpull, i stayed 2 nights more, no problem. Location is great, close to chinatown and a MRT station.

The staff were so welcoming and knowledgeable. They really made the stay worthwhile. I would recommend this hostel to my friends!

• 21st Dec 2013

The staff was very helpful and could provide us with a lot of information and maps. The location was good, close to Chinatown and a Hawker centre, in between two metro stations and only 20 min walk to Marina Bays. You get an own locke. We thought the rooms were narrow though and the toilets were two floors down which was quite inconvenient. We also missed christmas decorations or an effort to make a christmas atmosphere which we believe is essential for a hostel with international guests.

The position was good the staff as well but the bed wasn't so comfortable for the mattress ! So I haven't sleep good.

SOOOO HELPFUL, help locate the taxi my friend left her phone in. The location is great and the staff were super friendly!

• 13th Dec 2013

We loved this place! Only here 2 nights but it was great, so close to metro so able to travel singapore with ease! We would deff come back here, staff super friendly and waited up for us to check in at our flight landed at midnight, just had to email them which was so helpful! Only thing would want to change is the aircon didnt really reach inside the compartments but it wasnt baking in there

I'm surprised previous reviews didn't underline how TINY this hostel is, but it's definitely not a place for everyone: if you're very tall/large or have a lot of luggage, it's not for you! When I stayed in the 10 bed-dorm, we were only 3-5 people there and it already felt a bit cramped-can't imagine what it'd be like when full!! The other problem was the very late check-ins, which will wake you up.. Everything here is however very clean, well-organized and nice and the position is excellent!

Very nice small cozy place! Staffs are very nice and helpful and make me feel like home. Although the dorm room is a bit small but overall the bed is comfortable and clean. Must try their free automatic massage chair. So good!!!! There are two food courts nearby so it's very easy to get local and reasonable price food and they are tasty too! It's also easy to walk to subway station. Highly recommend!

What impressed me the most would be the staff in the hostel. They are very friendly and helpful in giving me directions to places where I want to go. Water is clean. There are a lot of bathrooms available so no need to worry about having to wait for one. Overall, the place is great given the price each night. It is very near a large hawker food center, which makes it even more convenient, especially for foodies. Will definitely be booking in Matchbox again in my next visit.

• 11th Nov 2013
  • BufferedReader
  • Philippines

The staff was very welcoming and helpful having all the most important information ready with check in. Including marked maps :) The location was perfect for me and the hostel is very nice and clean with great common area (which was not used by anybody while I was there (2 nights)) what made it a little harder to meet ppl.) Can 100% recommend and would come again :)

One older guy of the staff - I don´t know his name - forbade me to do the laundry, cause it would disturb the other guests. At this time we had about eight o´clock on Friday evening (!). He told me, I could do my laundry for the same price - 1 S$ - in a small laundry shop close by. Cause I had to left Singapore the next day, I went to the shop just to realize that I have to pay 10 S$. Thank you for your accommodating cooperation unknown receptionist!

• 7th Nov 2013

The hostel was spotlessly clean and the staff were really helpful, ensuring I had all of the info I needed to enjoy my stay in Singapore and to plan the next leg of my trip. I loved my little pod - slept exceptionally well the three nights I was here.