Matsumoto Backpackers Reviews

Shiraita 1-1-6, Matsumoto, Japan

I was there in the low season so there wasn't a lively atmosphere but the staff were very social and helpful. It's very close to the train station and the 'busy' area, a little further to the castle but easily walkable. The place is clean, facilities aren't luxury but more than enough and the place has a lot of character. I'd stay again.

Thanks Pierre and Brain for an enjoyable stay. We had a great time in Matsumoto!

Such friendly owners, always willing to help you out with local advice. Great central location, close to the station. Super comfy lounge and loved the traditional futon bed. Sad I was only there for one night! Thanks for a lovely stay

I had a great time here, one of the hosts Brian was super helpful and enjoyed socializing with guests which encouraged a great atmosphere in the common area. Great location close to the train station and some main attractions in town, I would definitely stay here again!

Very enjoyable stay. Great location and lovely staff. One little thing is the shower could be a bit hotter but other Han that absolutely fine.

I lke the location because it's near to train station and it's easy to find with the guide on the website. The guesthouse owner, Brian is very friendly and I wish I can stay longer in Matsumoto. I love it very much because I need to roll out my own futon and lay the comforter all by myself. I have a good 8 hours sleep on the futon maybe because the smell of tatami mat :)

Hostel is conveniently located very close to the train station and within walking distance of the major sites. One of the comfiest futons I've slept on in Japan, and the comforter was blessedly warm! The common area is small but always had someone hanging out in there to chat with. Staff was friendly and helpful - I would stay here again!

The best place to stay. Very close to the castle and the main station. Best wishes to Brian and the crew! Omar

Hey! Thank you for staying with us and of course for the kind words. We were lucky to find a conveniently located little place - at least that is how our guests describe it!

Very nice little hostel and easy to find from the train station if you have a map - unlike me who got lost in the middle of the night - It's in a Japanese house and you have to sleep on the floor on a futon. The owner and other staff were very friendly and although I only stayed one night they let me use the facilities and leave my luggage the whole day after I'd checked out while I visited the town. Very good location the castle and other attractions are accessible by foot. Emeline

Hi E. B. san, Arigato for your stay an arigato gozaimasu for the wonderful review. It was a short stay but we were happy to meet you. WIshing you safe travels. MBP team

Brian is a great host and helps you with anything you need. Location is good - close to station and close to downtown. Ideally suspect you would prefer a slightly bigger common space but not a problem when I was there. Matsumoto is ok, but best thing is it's an ideal spot to base yourself for hiking and trips around the area.

Nice place owned by an Irishman living in Japan with his family who is full of advice about Matsumoto and its surroundings, including the Alps. The house itself is traditional in style and when it's quiet you'll come as close to feeling you actually live in Japan as possible.

Nice spot for travellers visiting the alpes, sightseeing or jus passing by though Matsumoto Brian has been of good advice, I can only recommend The place is located right over the river and nive bars and restaurants, and nearby the Osaka castle wich, when not crowded, is pretty amazing

• 24th Aug 2015

An excellent hostel. Brian the owner was extremely friendly and helpful and I'm not saying that because he's a fellow Irishman. The hostel is in an excellent location and only about a 5 minute walk from Matsumoto train station. The atmosphere there was excellent and all guests seemed to mingle very well. Will be the first place I'll book if I ever find myself back in Matsumoto again. Thanks for a lovely stay.