Mavi Guesthouse Reviews

Ishakpasa Cad., Kutlugun Sok. No:3, Istanbul, Turkey

The location is as good as it gets. You can see the blue mosque from the roof top. Staff is friendly and Ali, the owner, is the nicest guy ever! The bathrooms can use a bit of a cleaning though.

Awesome place with kind staff and an unrivaled atmosphere thanks to the different travelers and the staff, we can spend there hours and hours staying and speaking. A kind of institution in Istanbul ! The rooftop with both views on Sofia's mosq and the sea is a wonderful place ! Hope we'll come back soon !

The staff was very attentive, friendly and helpful. They were very kind about our disability (English speakers only).

Very nice persons and good atmosphere, but the rooms are too small and too crowdy. The breakfast is nothing special and the price is must to high for the quality. We had a room with "bathroom", but we didn't dare take a shower, were afraid to be electrocuted. The place needs to be renovated and specially the electrical part. Some rooms without Windows. Compared to the rest of Turkey it's very expensive.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Super friendly and accommodating staff, excellent value for money.

• 19th Jun 2014

This was a decent hostel and I would certainly stay again. I had some trouble with my flight and the staff helped me clear it up. The location was right around the corner from the Hagia Sophia. Which is perfect. Nice value for the money and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed most of the time. Be prepared though that it felt like the stairs were going to collapse at any moment. One of the rooms was an entire floor which had tons of people crammed into it, the smell wasn't good.

The bathroom (especially the shower) was dirty. The was a bin full of trash in our bedroom,the day we arrived. 4 days later, was still full and more.. dirty!

I first booked rooftop 24-person dorm but find that it was too crowded with a little bit bad smell. I think the rooftop dorm is too open and cannot be called a room, and may not be suitable for everyone. However, the condition in the 6-bed dorm is quite good. A drawback is that the bathroom maybe too small and too dark to use. Overall, the location is in the heart of the city and it's great value for money for a hostel.

I definitely would recommend the Hostel. The location is perfect for exploring the City. And the staff is very friendly and help you all the time. You get special tips what is more worth than every clean toilette.. Anyway, also the bathrooms are clean ;) There is a room for everyone downstairs and I liked it to sit there and chat with the other guests. We changed our experience, so the also the atmosphere is nice. GO there and find it out! :)

The staff is nice and the place too, but our (double) room had almost no privacy at all (on the ground floor, on one side the kitchen and the common room, on the other the window was right on the tables put outside by the hostel). The shared bathrooms, not too clean not too dirty either, were one sink in the middle of the corridor and the toilet had its window on the kitchen. The sensation is that they stuff the building with people to get as much money as they can.

• 19th Apr 2014

Great hostel, with a very welcoming, friendly and helpful staff. The location is perfect and you will enjoy the terrace on the roof, with the view on Aya Sofia ! Good breakfast too. We felt like at home there and didn't want to leave. Perfect place to stay in Istanbul !

The greatest hostel I have ever been ! Amazing staff, amazing breakfast, amazing location ! And the prices are also cheap. If you have to go to istanbul, I assure you, Mavi Gesthouse is the hostel to go !!!!!! You will make friends and have an excellent time

• 18th Apr 2014

Great atmosphere Lights went off too early in the 24 bed room Wonderful trust between the staff and guests (like not having to leave a deposit for a hair dryer) Maybe some rooms designated for changing More options on the breakfast You could charge so much more if you wanted to

The hostel is completely open - we were not even given a key. Showers and toilets were not very nice, poorer quality than expected even in a hostel. The hostel is very cramped and there is no central area to relax in. However, breakfast every morning was delicious and the location is great if you want to be in the center of tourist activities like the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.

The staff are all lovely, but the dorm is a joke, we stayed in the 24 bed and there was no room whartsoever, i couldnt even get my bag anywhere near the bed instead i had to literrally sleep with it on the bed. The sheets all have holes in them an no plug sockets. Communal are is tiny with not enough seating and breakfast is poor. N location is the best thing about this hostel by far. No hot water.

Best location possible, with a view of Hagia Sophia and the sea from the rooftop terrace and certain rooms. The staff is very friendly and helpful, as well as hospitable and flexible. The large dorm was extremely crowded, but the smaller rooms were much better (you get what you pay for). Wifi worked well but didn't reach some areas upstairs, and the free breakfast was one of the best I've had.

Superb! I cannot say anything bad about it. I'm pretty much sure that I will choose Mavi Guest House next time I'm in Istanbul.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Poland

The staff was extremely helpful. They would call for us and schedule appointments and get us the best deals. The hostel had a great location! The only downside was that it was very small and not the nicest but still worth staying there! I met great people from all over the world.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Love the atmosphere. Always received nice smile from stuff. Next to Ayasofia. Great fusion of cultures. Reasonable price. Definitely recommand.

• 31st Dec 2013
  • China

WE stayed in the rooftop 20something room "dorm". it´s an enclosed roof where they put up thick plastic sheets for walls (it was cold!) and you are essentially sleeping next to each other because the beds are all pushed together and lined up. the bathroom is maybe the smallest i´ve ever seen in a hostel and not very clean. The breakfast was decent but that floor should be totally shut down