Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

I thought Patrick and his family were very welcoming, helpful and full of information. It was like a home away from home, loved every second.

Patrick is a very welcoming and hospitable host. The venue was perfect for my trip, thanks!

• 24th Sep 2015
  • South Africa

The thing that surprised me the most was the extremely poor location. Completely out there in the middle of nowhere, I guess it's a good place if you're going to the airport the next day. They should be much more clear on their website that this is not for you if you don't want to spend crazy money on cabs or don't have a car. Internet was down for all the time I was there, they could have offered a discount for the night or so.

This backpackers is fantastic in that it makes you feel like you are at home. Very relaxed atmosphere with all facilities you need - including a beautiful pool, bar, huge backyard and really good WiFi!! Electric blankets too for those cooler nights!!! Location is perfect and I felt safe the whole time with everything I needed within walking distance. It was a little out of town for those who want something more central/closer to the city but that personally made me feel safer.

Ok location for a stop-over in Johannesburg. Conveniently close to the airport, located in a residential safe area.

I honestly loved this place! I originally booked one night and it turned into 4. Patrick is so personable and will help you with whatever you need. His hostel is very nice and clean, I love the area and its safe. Everything you need is nearby. Its outside the city but who cares when you have a nice yard, a bar and a pool!

Accommodating. We came in the winter and he upgraded some of us to a more private room. The water was hot and they provided eggs, bread, and coffee for breakfast. Clean. The weather was very cold, there was no heating, and the electric sleeping/heating pads didn't work in one room. Even with 4 layers of clothes on, it was difficult to get comfortable. Patrick was kind enough to store our luggage for free when we went to Kruger. Our pillows were gone when we returned, hopefully by accident!

• 6th Aug 2015

The fencing is good but I think having someone around can be a relief or if the cars can park at the backyard or in car ports. The place is clean but I have not met any staff apart from the owner, that's why I haven't said anything about the staff. The only thing I did not like was the smell of cigarette that I met one day in the room when I was coming back from town. It was only for one day anyway.

• 27th Jul 2015
  • Swaziland

We only stayed here one night, but we really enjoyed ourselves. They have a great bar and backyard with a pool, and the inside is very welcoming. They have a nice tv area with lots of dvds to choose from which is a nice change. As everyone has said, Patrick is fantastic and makes you feel at home right away. We would definitely stay here again.

Patrick hosts in the house where he grew up. It's clean, quiet, well-equipped, safe, and friendly.

Warm beds and hot water. Close to the airport. Patrick was very helpful making arrangements for tours and very nice overall. Would stay here again if I come back through.

I didn't have a good experience at Mbizi, but I can see how it could be fun. It is not really a hostel, more like a house with a few extra rooms (there were 4 people there when I was). There are none of the usual hostel facilities. It is about 20 miles out of the city and there really isn't a good way to get from the house to the city. I think it would be fun in the summer if there are lots of people since he has a cool backyard bar and pool. I went in the winter and it was very cold - no heater

One of my favourite hostels I've stayed in. Safe, friendly and fun. Thanks Patrick!

View all Johannesburg Hostels