Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Absolutely phenomenal place to stay. You meet some great people there and the atmosphere is so conducive to chatting at the bar about travel stories and meeting new people. Definitely recommend this place to anyone that wants to know how to travel around SA and meet come amazing people.

Very nice and peaceful place, especially friendly staff, exellent to relax and recreate, including a Swimmingpool and sunny garden.

I only stayed one night, but thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Patrick, the owner, is a really nice guy and full of interesting stories. The facilities are nice and well cleaned. The location may not be the best for everyone, but it's a good place to relax a few days while connecting through Johannesburg.

Not a great location to explore Jburg without a car but they have pretty effective tour and pickup services.

I ended up staying 2 nights more and after my trip to Cape Town, probably i will be back here. Its far away from the city but close to the airport. Patrick is an amazing host! He recommended me a taxi driver that took me everywhere for a reasonable price comparing to the tours that u book with other people. Internet connection is good, rooms, bathrooms and kitchen really clean and i love the athmosphere. THANK U PATRICK! :)

Only stayed the night, as location is great in relation to the airport, with transfers organised through Patrick, who runs the hostel. If you're looking for somewhere close to all the attractions, this isn't the hostel for you as it is quite a way out of the city, but great for that first night arrival or last night before departure.

Great hostel! Patrick, the owner is super rad. He can help you organize your safari and recommend you where to go. The facilities are very clean and the backyard has a cool den with a bar, tv, and pool table.

• 9th Mar 2015

This hostel was great! Patrick was super helpful. Our driver didn't show up to drive us back to the airport and he was nice enough to drive us himself. I have no complaints at all! Great place to stay. Would definitely stay here again.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • maddie5218

Had a really nice stay here. It feels more like a house than a hostel which made me feel very comfortable. Loved the back yard with the swimming pool. Very well equiped kitchen. Location is far from everything which makes it hard to get around if you don't have a car, but then again you also don't want to stay in the city (way too dangerous)

Thanks Pat, we had a fantastic time!

• 16th Feb 2015

Best backpackers in Africa. Patrick the owner is a top bloke who constantly goes out of his way to make your stay in Johannesburg as safe, fun and and/or relaxing as you like.... The place has all the facilities and more in a safe and clean environment. Pat even took us out for a beer down at his local. Wish i could give it 200%. Stay nowhere but the Mbizi for your Joeburg stay.

what a beautiful hostel this place is. situated in a very safe location. the beds are comfy, the bathrooms and showers are superb and always clean. hanging out with Patrick and knocking down some beers with him at his cool bar is a definite must! he knows a lot about his country and can offer some great conversation. If I come back to Joburg, I am gonna come right back to Mbizi!

I had a great time in a great place .

Excellent hostel, we really enjoyed our stay. Don't usually leave reviews but if you're staying in Jo'burg, this is the place. Clean rooms, no bunk beds which is always good, nice showers/bathrooms, pool, bar with cheap drinks and cable TV. Patrick the owner can also organise all the tours you want whether it's to Soweto, apartheid museum, cradle of humankind or safaris to Kruger National Park. Thanks for everything Patrick!

• 14th Dec 2014

a quite, beautiful, clean backpacker hostel with a beautiful backyard, including a pool and braii facilities. the staff and owner are super friendly and obliging.

• 30th Nov 2014

Very nice staff!

Great beautiful hostel, with nice people. FAR from the city, so you must get a taxi or tour to visit, but it is highly recommended any ways. I would go on the Soweto tour, very sobering.. This place is great if you are self motivated to meet people and see the city. It is very quiet hereif you stay in the hostel, but very safe. I heard hostels in the city are not as beautiful or nice staffed, but are in the center. I wanted a safe place where I could venture out of.

• 7th Nov 2014

what a hostel should be- friendly yet relaxed

• 6th Nov 2014