Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

a quite, beautiful, clean backpacker hostel with a beautiful backyard, including a pool and braii facilities. the staff and owner are super friendly and obliging.

• 30th Nov 2014

Very nice staff!

Great beautiful hostel, with nice people. FAR from the city, so you must get a taxi or tour to visit, but it is highly recommended any ways. I would go on the Soweto tour, very sobering.. This place is great if you are self motivated to meet people and see the city. It is very quiet hereif you stay in the hostel, but very safe. I heard hostels in the city are not as beautiful or nice staffed, but are in the center. I wanted a safe place where I could venture out of.

• 7th Nov 2014

what a hostel should be- friendly yet relaxed

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Northern Ireland

My trip to Johannesburg would have been nothing without mbizi. The staff are great, and immediately and consistently made me feel comfortable and welcome.

• 16th Oct 2014

The hostel is a little far from downtown, but you have atm and food very close. You can also book tours that include transport, so the distance is not a big deal. Patrick is very nice and helpful and does great sprongboks.the beds are really confortable and electric blanckets are great in the cold

Mbizi is a great spot to hang out in Jo'burg. They have an awesome vibe, whether you're there just to relax, or hit the on site bar. Really good collection of movies, wifi, breakfast, close to the airport,cheat more could you want?! Patrick will help you out with any needs at all as well. Not in the heart of the city, but if that doesn't bother you, then this is the place to stay!

I've done a lot of traveling in a lot of places in a lot of hostels...and this place is top notch. We were picked up from the airport on time and arrived at the hostel where we met Patrick, the owner. Legend. He provided us with a ton of great info and really helped us out a few days later when we were lost on the road and in a pinch. The place itself is super clean with great, friendly staff - it's comfortable and cozy; feels like home. The compound is super secure and we felt extremely safe.

• 24th Sep 2014

Ideal location near the airport - about a 10min drive. Patrick has a pretty awesome set-up with a backyard bar/lounge area. The log cabins are cozy and fun.

The Host can organize trips for you which are pretty cool.

We were doing a saffari nearby Joburg and stayed at mbizi and we had an absolutely great time there! They've got very comfy beds with really nice electric blankets, spotless toilets and a big and well equipped kitchen. There's also a nice collection of DVDs in the living room and an awesome backyard with a pool and a bar with a great selection of drinks, pool and a huge tv. Patrick the owner is extremely friendly and helpful and we are sure to go back there on our next visit to Joburg! Thanks!

I stayed at this hostel for four days and found it to be excellent. The facilities are clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is welcoming and guests share pleasant common spaces. Two things that are outstanding in this hostel are the great showers and the neatness and cleanliness of the place.

We didn't feel confortable at the Hostel. The door of the room couldn't lock and it wasn't fixed during our stay.

• 15th Aug 2014

Very funny and nice host. We will definitely remember this experience as it was quite special.

There were no any signs outside the hostel. It's an easy effort put it there and it would help customers a lot to find there.

Great little home away from home. Patrick is wonderfully helpful.

PRO Nice bar, nice atmosphere, friendly host CONTRA no heating in the room, just heating blankets, small bathroom, breakfast consists of toast, butter and jam, sometimes the jam was even missing.

Patrick (the owner) is a very nice guy. I had a family issue and he was very kind to me. The airport pick-up was at the time and everything happened well.

Close to airport but far from any attractions. Expensive Taxis needed to get anywhere so would be more useful for those with a car. Patrick, the owner, was an excellent and welcoming host and accommodation was very comfortable and homely

I literally felt at home in Mbizi and Patrick will do his best to make it happen. I'm very glad I decided to stay in his stablishment and I would definitely stay there again.

View all Johannesburg Hostels