Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

I honestly loved this place! I originally booked one night and it turned into 4. Patrick is so personable and will help you with whatever you need. His hostel is very nice and clean, I love the area and its safe. Everything you need is nearby. Its outside the city but who cares when you have a nice yard, a bar and a pool!

Accommodating. We came in the winter and he upgraded some of us to a more private room. The water was hot and they provided eggs, bread, and coffee for breakfast. Clean. The weather was very cold, there was no heating, and the electric sleeping/heating pads didn't work in one room. Even with 4 layers of clothes on, it was difficult to get comfortable. Patrick was kind enough to store our luggage for free when we went to Kruger. Our pillows were gone when we returned, hopefully by accident!

• 6th Aug 2015

The fencing is good but I think having someone around can be a relief or if the cars can park at the backyard or in car ports. The place is clean but I have not met any staff apart from the owner, that's why I haven't said anything about the staff. The only thing I did not like was the smell of cigarette that I met one day in the room when I was coming back from town. It was only for one day anyway.

• 27th Jul 2015
  • Swaziland

We only stayed here one night, but we really enjoyed ourselves. They have a great bar and backyard with a pool, and the inside is very welcoming. They have a nice tv area with lots of dvds to choose from which is a nice change. As everyone has said, Patrick is fantastic and makes you feel at home right away. We would definitely stay here again.

Patrick hosts in the house where he grew up. It's clean, quiet, well-equipped, safe, and friendly.

Warm beds and hot water. Close to the airport. Patrick was very helpful making arrangements for tours and very nice overall. Would stay here again if I come back through.

I didn't have a good experience at Mbizi, but I can see how it could be fun. It is not really a hostel, more like a house with a few extra rooms (there were 4 people there when I was). There are none of the usual hostel facilities. It is about 20 miles out of the city and there really isn't a good way to get from the house to the city. I think it would be fun in the summer if there are lots of people since he has a cool backyard bar and pool. I went in the winter and it was very cold - no heater

One of my favourite hostels I've stayed in. Safe, friendly and fun. Thanks Patrick!

Patrick is Super friendly host. Very helpful and welcoming,airport pickup is perfect, Relaxed atmosphere. I love Mbizi ...

Received a room upgrade which was a pleasant surprise and much appreciated after a long flight. The room was comfortable, and electric blanket came in handy as it was colder than I expected. Patrick was easy to chat with and arranged airport pick up/drop off with one of his drivers which saved me the hassle of catching a taxi.

Had a great stay at Mbizi. Patrick is the man and runs such a chill ship - he upgraded me to a private room, which was so nice after a long train ride from Cape Town, and helped me arrange a township tour. The vibe is fantastic and there's a great bar area to meet other travelers. A couple other guys who I met at the bar hosted a braai my last night there. Would definitely return again.

This was an okay place to settle in for a couple of days after a 30 hour trip to get there. Patrick was accommodating and I was at ease in a room to myself for the first days until I didn't need to sleep forever and then went to the dorms. If I go back to SA, this will probably be where I end up after reversing my tour so I can see the Coast next time.

I love Mbizi! There is a great atmosphere at this hostel and it is super convenient for the BazBus, Safaris to Kruger and the airport. It was a great first stop for me on a month long trip, and I came back here, twice(!) when coming back through Jo'Burg. It is not in Central Jo'Burg, by any means, but ideal for me, especially as a single female traveller, as it is super easy to meet lots of awesome people and I would definitely stay again, great times.

Absolutely phenomenal place to stay. You meet some great people there and the atmosphere is so conducive to chatting at the bar about travel stories and meeting new people. Definitely recommend this place to anyone that wants to know how to travel around SA and meet come amazing people.

Very nice and peaceful place, especially friendly staff, exellent to relax and recreate, including a Swimmingpool and sunny garden.

Awesome spot, a home away from home. Picked up from the airport straight away by one of Patrick's local drivers who also took us wherever else we needed during our stay which made us feel very relaxed being our first stop in South Africa and not being very aware. Very accommodating, friendly and fun place easy to interact with other travellers and Patrick was always available for a beer and advises on our travel plans in Africa. Would warmly recommend this place to anyone and we'll be back soon!

Me and my friend Mathew stayed at Mbizi for 2 nights, and we had and awesome time. The owner, Patrick, is incredible helpful and generous. He helped us with tour bookings and train tickets. The place has a great atmosphere and the facilities are in good condition. I would recommend everyone to stay here. I want to thank Patrik for a memorable stay

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Sweden

I only stayed one night, but thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Patrick, the owner, is a really nice guy and full of interesting stories. The facilities are nice and well cleaned. The location may not be the best for everyone, but it's a good place to relax a few days while connecting through Johannesburg.

Not a great location to explore Jburg without a car but they have pretty effective tour and pickup services.

I ended up staying 2 nights more and after my trip to Cape Town, probably i will be back here. Its far away from the city but close to the airport. Patrick is an amazing host! He recommended me a taxi driver that took me everywhere for a reasonable price comparing to the tours that u book with other people. Internet connection is good, rooms, bathrooms and kitchen really clean and i love the athmosphere. THANK U PATRICK! :)

View all Johannesburg Hostels