Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Ideal location near the airport - about a 10min drive. Patrick has a pretty awesome set-up with a backyard bar/lounge area. The log cabins are cozy and fun.

The Host can organize trips for you which are pretty cool.

We were doing a saffari nearby Joburg and stayed at mbizi and we had an absolutely great time there! They've got very comfy beds with really nice electric blankets, spotless toilets and a big and well equipped kitchen. There's also a nice collection of DVDs in the living room and an awesome backyard with a pool and a bar with a great selection of drinks, pool and a huge tv. Patrick the owner is extremely friendly and helpful and we are sure to go back there on our next visit to Joburg! Thanks!

I stayed at this hostel for four days and found it to be excellent. The facilities are clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is welcoming and guests share pleasant common spaces. Two things that are outstanding in this hostel are the great showers and the neatness and cleanliness of the place.

We didn't feel confortable at the Hostel. The door of the room couldn't lock and it wasn't fixed during our stay.

• 15th Aug 2014

Very funny and nice host. We will definitely remember this experience as it was quite special.

There were no any signs outside the hostel. It's an easy effort put it there and it would help customers a lot to find there.

Great little home away from home. Patrick is wonderfully helpful.

PRO Nice bar, nice atmosphere, friendly host CONTRA no heating in the room, just heating blankets, small bathroom, breakfast consists of toast, butter and jam, sometimes the jam was even missing.

Patrick (the owner) is a very nice guy. I had a family issue and he was very kind to me. The airport pick-up was at the time and everything happened well.

Close to airport but far from any attractions. Expensive Taxis needed to get anywhere so would be more useful for those with a car. Patrick, the owner, was an excellent and welcoming host and accommodation was very comfortable and homely

I literally felt at home in Mbizi and Patrick will do his best to make it happen. I'm very glad I decided to stay in his stablishment and I would definitely stay there again.

The hostel has an awesome atmosphere and you will love the evenings in the bar. Patrick is one of the nicest owners I have ever met and he can arrange tours and a convenient airport pick up for you. Good luck Patrick!!

• 24th Jun 2014

Easy access to main road for day trips in the rental. There's also plenty of information about tour buses. The owner is really nice and accomodating. We spent some time at the bar during the World Cup, had a great time playing pool and socializing with people from all around the world. Thank you!

• 23rd Jun 2014

Nice and clean hostel in a safe location. It's a bit far from the center of Joburg, but the manager will help you arrange trips into the town if wanted. I can't say much about the atmosphere as I travelled in low season, but I think this can be a good place when it's more crowded!

Very helpful, cool place. I dig it.

• 13th Jun 2014

Patrick was a great host and took very good care of us. We only had a short time in Johannesburg, so he helped us set an itinerary that best suited our schedule. The tent out back was great and we were able to have a drink and relax, which was very nice. The property is very close to the airport (ask Patrick ahead of time about getting picked up!). However, it's not very close to anything else so be prepared to cab wherever you want to go. Overall, I recommend this place.

Mbizi hostel made our trip in Johannesburg, the staff are amazing friendly and helpful. The hostel itself is beautiful and clean, great back garden, lots of movies to chill out and watch in the lounge, great bar and well stocked kitchen with all the equipment you would possibly need, plenty of books and an abundance of travel information available for all types of travelers.

Really nice place to stay. People were fun and always helpful. They all really loved South Africa and are willing to book tours. Rooms were affordable. Rooms are average, I was sweating every night because of the moisture creeping in. Other then that, really enjoyed my experience.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Afghanistan

Owners are very nice people, overall Ihighly recommend

• 31st May 2014