Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Received a room upgrade which was a pleasant surprise and much appreciated after a long flight. The room was comfortable, and electric blanket came in handy as it was colder than I expected. Patrick was easy to chat with and arranged airport pick up/drop off with one of his drivers which saved me the hassle of catching a taxi.

Had a great stay at Mbizi. Patrick is the man and runs such a chill ship - he upgraded me to a private room, which was so nice after a long train ride from Cape Town, and helped me arrange a township tour. The vibe is fantastic and there's a great bar area to meet other travelers. A couple other guys who I met at the bar hosted a braai my last night there. Would definitely return again.

I love Mbizi! There is a great atmosphere at this hostel and it is super convenient for the BazBus, Safaris to Kruger and the airport. It was a great first stop for me on a month long trip, and I came back here, twice(!) when coming back through Jo'Burg. It is not in Central Jo'Burg, by any means, but ideal for me, especially as a single female traveller, as it is super easy to meet lots of awesome people and I would definitely stay again, great times.

Absolutely phenomenal place to stay. You meet some great people there and the atmosphere is so conducive to chatting at the bar about travel stories and meeting new people. Definitely recommend this place to anyone that wants to know how to travel around SA and meet come amazing people.

Very nice and peaceful place, especially friendly staff, exellent to relax and recreate, including a Swimmingpool and sunny garden.

Awesome spot, a home away from home. Picked up from the airport straight away by one of Patrick's local drivers who also took us wherever else we needed during our stay which made us feel very relaxed being our first stop in South Africa and not being very aware. Very accommodating, friendly and fun place easy to interact with other travellers and Patrick was always available for a beer and advises on our travel plans in Africa. Would warmly recommend this place to anyone and we'll be back soon!

Me and my friend Mathew stayed at Mbizi for 2 nights, and we had and awesome time. The owner, Patrick, is incredible helpful and generous. He helped us with tour bookings and train tickets. The place has a great atmosphere and the facilities are in good condition. I would recommend everyone to stay here. I want to thank Patrik for a memorable stay

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Sweden

I only stayed one night, but thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Patrick, the owner, is a really nice guy and full of interesting stories. The facilities are nice and well cleaned. The location may not be the best for everyone, but it's a good place to relax a few days while connecting through Johannesburg.

Not a great location to explore Jburg without a car but they have pretty effective tour and pickup services.

I ended up staying 2 nights more and after my trip to Cape Town, probably i will be back here. Its far away from the city but close to the airport. Patrick is an amazing host! He recommended me a taxi driver that took me everywhere for a reasonable price comparing to the tours that u book with other people. Internet connection is good, rooms, bathrooms and kitchen really clean and i love the athmosphere. THANK U PATRICK! :)

Only stayed the night, as location is great in relation to the airport, with transfers organised through Patrick, who runs the hostel. If you're looking for somewhere close to all the attractions, this isn't the hostel for you as it is quite a way out of the city, but great for that first night arrival or last night before departure.

Great hostel! Patrick, the owner is super rad. He can help you organize your safari and recommend you where to go. The facilities are very clean and the backyard has a cool den with a bar, tv, and pool table.

• 9th Mar 2015

This hostel was great! Patrick was super helpful. Our driver didn't show up to drive us back to the airport and he was nice enough to drive us himself. I have no complaints at all! Great place to stay. Would definitely stay here again.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • maddie5218

Had a really nice stay here. It feels more like a house than a hostel which made me feel very comfortable. Loved the back yard with the swimming pool. Very well equiped kitchen. Location is far from everything which makes it hard to get around if you don't have a car, but then again you also don't want to stay in the city (way too dangerous)

Thanks Pat, we had a fantastic time!

• 16th Feb 2015

Best backpackers in Africa. Patrick the owner is a top bloke who constantly goes out of his way to make your stay in Johannesburg as safe, fun and and/or relaxing as you like.... The place has all the facilities and more in a safe and clean environment. Pat even took us out for a beer down at his local. Wish i could give it 200%. Stay nowhere but the Mbizi for your Joeburg stay.

what a beautiful hostel this place is. situated in a very safe location. the beds are comfy, the bathrooms and showers are superb and always clean. hanging out with Patrick and knocking down some beers with him at his cool bar is a definite must! he knows a lot about his country and can offer some great conversation. If I come back to Joburg, I am gonna come right back to Mbizi!

I had a great time in a great place .

Excellent hostel, we really enjoyed our stay. Don't usually leave reviews but if you're staying in Jo'burg, this is the place. Clean rooms, no bunk beds which is always good, nice showers/bathrooms, pool, bar with cheap drinks and cable TV. Patrick the owner can also organise all the tours you want whether it's to Soweto, apartheid museum, cradle of humankind or safaris to Kruger National Park. Thanks for everything Patrick!

• 14th Dec 2014

a quite, beautiful, clean backpacker hostel with a beautiful backyard, including a pool and braii facilities. the staff and owner are super friendly and obliging.

• 30th Nov 2014