Mbizi Backpackers Lodge Reviews

288 Trichardt Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

I ended up staying 2 nights more and after my trip to Cape Town, probably i will be back here. Its far away from the city but close to the airport. Patrick is an amazing host! He recommended me a taxi driver that took me everywhere for a reasonable price comparing to the tours that u book with other people. Internet connection is good, rooms, bathrooms and kitchen really clean and i love the athmosphere. THANK U PATRICK! :)

Only stayed the night, as location is great in relation to the airport, with transfers organised through Patrick, who runs the hostel. If you're looking for somewhere close to all the attractions, this isn't the hostel for you as it is quite a way out of the city, but great for that first night arrival or last night before departure.

Great hostel! Patrick, the owner is super rad. He can help you organize your safari and recommend you where to go. The facilities are very clean and the backyard has a cool den with a bar, tv, and pool table.

• 9th Mar 2015

This hostel was great! Patrick was super helpful. Our driver didn't show up to drive us back to the airport and he was nice enough to drive us himself. I have no complaints at all! Great place to stay. Would definitely stay here again.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • maddie5218

Had a really nice stay here. It feels more like a house than a hostel which made me feel very comfortable. Loved the back yard with the swimming pool. Very well equiped kitchen. Location is far from everything which makes it hard to get around if you don't have a car, but then again you also don't want to stay in the city (way too dangerous)

Thanks Pat, we had a fantastic time!

• 16th Feb 2015

Best backpackers in Africa. Patrick the owner is a top bloke who constantly goes out of his way to make your stay in Johannesburg as safe, fun and and/or relaxing as you like.... The place has all the facilities and more in a safe and clean environment. Pat even took us out for a beer down at his local. Wish i could give it 200%. Stay nowhere but the Mbizi for your Joeburg stay.

what a beautiful hostel this place is. situated in a very safe location. the beds are comfy, the bathrooms and showers are superb and always clean. hanging out with Patrick and knocking down some beers with him at his cool bar is a definite must! he knows a lot about his country and can offer some great conversation. If I come back to Joburg, I am gonna come right back to Mbizi!

I had a great time in a great place .

Excellent hostel, we really enjoyed our stay. Don't usually leave reviews but if you're staying in Jo'burg, this is the place. Clean rooms, no bunk beds which is always good, nice showers/bathrooms, pool, bar with cheap drinks and cable TV. Patrick the owner can also organise all the tours you want whether it's to Soweto, apartheid museum, cradle of humankind or safaris to Kruger National Park. Thanks for everything Patrick!

• 14th Dec 2014

a quite, beautiful, clean backpacker hostel with a beautiful backyard, including a pool and braii facilities. the staff and owner are super friendly and obliging.

• 30th Nov 2014

Very nice staff!

Great beautiful hostel, with nice people. FAR from the city, so you must get a taxi or tour to visit, but it is highly recommended any ways. I would go on the Soweto tour, very sobering.. This place is great if you are self motivated to meet people and see the city. It is very quiet hereif you stay in the hostel, but very safe. I heard hostels in the city are not as beautiful or nice staffed, but are in the center. I wanted a safe place where I could venture out of.

• 7th Nov 2014

what a hostel should be- friendly yet relaxed

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Northern Ireland

My trip to Johannesburg would have been nothing without mbizi. The staff are great, and immediately and consistently made me feel comfortable and welcome.

• 16th Oct 2014

The hostel is a little far from downtown, but you have atm and food very close. You can also book tours that include transport, so the distance is not a big deal. Patrick is very nice and helpful and does great sprongboks.the beds are really confortable and electric blanckets are great in the cold

Mbizi is a great spot to hang out in Jo'burg. They have an awesome vibe, whether you're there just to relax, or hit the on site bar. Really good collection of movies, wifi, breakfast, close to the airport,cheat more could you want?! Patrick will help you out with any needs at all as well. Not in the heart of the city, but if that doesn't bother you, then this is the place to stay!

I've done a lot of traveling in a lot of places in a lot of hostels...and this place is top notch. We were picked up from the airport on time and arrived at the hostel where we met Patrick, the owner. Legend. He provided us with a ton of great info and really helped us out a few days later when we were lost on the road and in a pinch. The place itself is super clean with great, friendly staff - it's comfortable and cozy; feels like home. The compound is super secure and we felt extremely safe.

• 24th Sep 2014

Ideal location near the airport - about a 10min drive. Patrick has a pretty awesome set-up with a backyard bar/lounge area. The log cabins are cozy and fun.

The Host can organize trips for you which are pretty cool.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7