Me Mates Place Reviews

#1B4 street 90 Wat Phnom, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This was a very nice hostel with an excellent value. The staff are friendly; however, they try to rip you off with their prices for tuk tuk day trips. Just walk down the street a bit and find a better value :). I would definitely stay there again.

• 1st Apr 2014
  • Uzbekistan

Staff were great - always willing to help and talk. A very comfortable waiting /common room / bar - meals area where I had several excellent, well priced meals. Good access to the river and market and either a solid walk to centre of town or cheap Tuk Tuk ride. Most/all tours were readily organised by them and were great rates. Thank you for a great, friendly stay with no hassles.

I stayed in a private room, the room was ok, nicely decorated but with no natural light. The bathroom however was grim. Much of the place needs a bit of redecoration. The space in the bar was not heavily used and thus had little atmosphere. I stayed here to try somewhere else other than Hostel88 and honestly I wish I hadn't. It's not that it's a bad hostel, the location is great, there are simply much better ones available.

Fantastic stay and really helpful honest staff. Safe walking distance all around.

• 9th Mar 2014
  • Poland

Room had no window. Needs to be made clearer when booking that this is the case.

Overall the staff was nice, but the man who seemed to be in charge was unhelpful. We had many minor issues during our stay but the biggest mistake we made was booking our bus to Bangkok through this guesthouse. We paid top dollar for a VIP bus with wifi, A/C, and a toilet. There were exactly none of these things. To top it off when we arrived at the border we were told the bus didn't go any further. They apologized profusely saying that they never go into Thailand and our hostel had misled us.

Good hostel. Not the best location. Some staff had trouble speaking English which got hard when ordering and paying for things as a group. Good backpacker vibe and great facilities and food.

Nice place to stay. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Beds were comfortable although the 6 flights of stairs weren't great. Atmosphere was a bit dead I think due to staff watching tv most of the day. Did enjoy the hot shower in the dorm though- very nice!

• 6th Feb 2014

The beds here were spacious - almost double bed size - and the lockers were big enough to fit large packs which was handy. Having an ensuite bathroom was good value too. Unfortunately my dorm was infested with bed bugs. Myself and the other traveller sharing my bunk were upgraded to a hotel room next door but I don't think others in our room were so lucky. The bar could have had more going on - had the potential to be a good place to meet other travellers. Staff were friendly and helpful though

Me Mates Place is a basic, simple and convenient place to stay in Phnom Penh, far away from the most touristic area, in a rather calm neighborhood. It is very small, so it lacks of places to lay around, but the staff is very nice and competent and everything is clean and well kept !

Very good location- close to the main drag in Phnom Penh. Very clean as the changed sheets and room was tidied every day (in double room). Bathroom and showers were the best we have had in south East Asia. Not many people socialised in the main bar- if that is what you are looking for. Booked buses elsewhere, it was much easier as we were being 'encouraged' to book a minibus double the cost of a bus ($15 vs $7-8). Solo female travellers be wary of TukTuk drivers outside they can pester.

Stayed in a 6 person dorm with 3 other mates. After the first night we noticed they had put an extra bed in the room...then later squeezed an 8th bed in the room! There are big cages you can store you packs in which was good. Quite a few stairs to the top floor, which had no Wifi range what so ever! the bar downstairs was kinda cool to chill in. We for some silly reason stayed 3 nights, you only really need a day in Phnom Penh to see S 21 and the killing fields!

It wasn't worth the $26. The pool and pool table that come with it are a strong 5 minute walk and not in an obvious place so that was a con. Shower was v.good so was the air con and fan on the ceiling. The bed sheets appeared a bit dirty, food at resturant wasnt cheap and for $26 you would expect breakfast included but apparently not. Also the staff have friends that drive tuk tuks and they pounce on you as soon as you try to leave the hotel. Wouldn't recommend

It was ok, but nothing special. We had a room with no window and no fan (we had aircon but that gives me a cold). Food was good, but when we had to leave at 7am they told us we could get breakfast from 6:30am, but there was nobody who could make us breakfast, so ended up in a four hour bus without eating anything. Apart from that the hostel was ok, just a little out of the center.

The room was a prison!! No window.... Right on the very edge of the centre. The shower hock my broken but the actual water pressure was great and mostly hot water. The bed was very small

It's close enough to all the busy tourist areas. the staff are friendly and helpful too, I just didn't get a wonderful feeling from the place. I believe it would be perfect for a group though. The downstairs pub and meals are perfect for a group that would take over the place for a weekend or so. In the end though we got what we needed from the establishment, maybe what counts against them is the showers could be a bit cleaner.

It was a really nice place!

Very helpful and friendly staff, great food and drinks all day and night. Rooms cleaned each day and hot running water. Big enough lockers for big backpacks which is a very nice rarity and free computer facilities! Very much enjoyed my stay and would definitely go back!

No windows in the room but reasonable size. Strong shower, good TV and wifi. Short walk to the riverside area and very close to Wat Phnom. Staff friendly but always looking for a commission on a day trip/ bus or tuk tuk journey to the point that one tried to tell is there was a storm at the beach to get is to go to his other hotel in Siem Reap- we checked the forcast ourselves and are at the beach, no storm.