Mec Hostel Reviews

42 North Great Georges Street, Dublin 1, Dublin, Ireland

Overall we had a great stay, Edgar on reception was friendly and helpful. Apartment had what was needed, yes basic but lots of space and clean. Good location. We would stay again...

• 24th Apr 2015

The security was good. The bathroom, however, was consistently dirty without paper towels or a working hand dryer.

Not the cleanest place, but very spacious. A bit more of heating would have been appreciated. vgood cooking facilities

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Compared with a number of other hostels in Dublin, MEC is quite average but for the price I suppose it is reasonably satisfactory for a brief stay. There isn't much of an atmosphere and for those looking for the sociable hostel experience they might be disappointed. On the flipside however for those looking for some peace & quiet the hostel is generally noisy, if not because of loud guests then because of creaky floors, thin walls etc. Also one of the staff, I think a blonde Polish guy was rude.

Very good location

• 8th Apr 2015

The beds were extremely comfortable. I was skeptical at first, because as a very tall person I didn't think the beds would be long enough; but they were perfect for my 6'2" height. They were creaky though and one underboard on the top bunk was breaking. They really should be checked by the staff, but luckily I am not extremely heavy. I suggest a smaller room too if you like to go to sleep at a reasonable time because in the 10 bed room we had a bunch of loud people. Loved the beds though.

A solid hostel. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about either. Breakfast is 2 euros from 8-10 and you can buy padlocks and adapters for 2 euros. It comes with sheets, which is nice, as many hostels in Northern Europe do not. It has a nice location right off O'Connell Street and within walking distance of most popular attractions.

Why rent a locker for 2€ when you can buy one for 1.49€ in Dealz? There's a lot of stairs in the hostel...!

the shower was broken, if you wanted to shwoe warm (and not hot and cold) the water-tap turned down. no refuse bin in the shower

• 27th Mar 2015

An amazing stay! The staff is great. Super helpful and nice. The hand dryer in the washroom broke down and within hours of telling the staff it was working again. The area is about 15 min walk out from the river and busy part of town which is nice as it was quiet for sleeping and close enough to walk in and out of town throughout the day. Got a lot of discounts on sites in the town from the lobby. Highly recomend!!!

Lovely, even the 16 bed dorm was an absolutely nice and lovely place to stay!

• 24th Mar 2015

It's a very good hostel, I enjoyed my stay!

The hostel staff was great and the value was fantastic. However, you will be living on the north side of the Liffey river, which is not exactly where all the happenings are. There is a nearby pub with great Irish music though. So, that's a plus. I personally didn't think there was much of an atmosphere to the hostel. Then again, I stayed in a room with a large group of girls that were on holiday together. Everyone just seemed to keep to themselves.

Nice clean well oranized place, in the city center, suitable for young people. Friendly staff. Very careful about their guests security.

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Croatia

Thanks for letting me have late breakfast, keeping my bags in storage and having a 24hrs reception

I gave an "average" to cleanliness, not because of the Hostel Staff, but only because of the guests. We had a floor bathroom, so keeping it clean, was not up to the staff. Next time, we'll be booking a room with private bathroom!! ;) All in all, the staff was very helpful and kind, the hostel was in a beautiful quiet road (James Joyce's Museum is just a few doors away!!!), very close to everything!! I'd definitely reccomend it!

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Greece

Everything was good, expect the blonde polish guy who was almost rude and and obviously has some serious problems. Regards, Marijan

The hostel was good in relation of the price, the bad thing is that was really noisy.

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Spain

I loved this place! The staff was helpful, the atmosphere was great, the rooms were good. I have zero complaints. Don't expect a 5 star hotel, and you won't be disappointed. It was a great first experience with hostels, and after 6 more hostels it's still our favorite.

everithing is ok but can by bether

• 21st Feb 2015