Meiai Hostel Reviews

Rua Guilhermina Guinle 127, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This hostel is very nice. I would love to stay there again.

• 18th Jul 2015

Clean room and bathroom, powerplug for each bed, good underbed lockers, helpful staff, nice breakfast buffet, good value for the money.

I stayed in Meiai hostel for 3 nights and I really loved it! The location is very good, the cleanliness satisfactory for an exerienced back-packer and there are always cool people around. Small tipp: good address for meeting other backpackers! 3 doors further there is another hostel (beach backpackers) so people from both hostels would join and go party together!

Stayed here for carnaval so anticipated paying more for my stay. In comparison to other hostels, I would say meiai is more like a small 'family friendly' hotel/ b

This hostel is very good, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. The location is perfect, right in the middle of botafogo near the metro station, shops and bars. Easy to get to the center and copacabana/ipanema by public transport or a cheap taxi ride.

Spacious rooms and comfortable beds, with locking drawer under bed. Nice building. Good wifi. Showers in shared bathrooms are great. The bathrooms do tend to be wet a lot of the time though and need more hooks. Staff friendly and speak good English. More of a hotel atmosphere than a hostel.

Nice and clean!! good located good trasnport... easy to move around

The hostel was clean, well located and had good breakfast. My best regards to the staff who found my gold necklace and returned it to me. It is not a party hostel and it was a really good value for money considering it was xmas vacation. Definitely, I'd recommend it.

Well located, out of the touristic circuit but with really good connections (Botafogo metro station and many buses are quite close to the hostel). Right in the middle between Downtown and Ipanema. I think it lacks of facilities -only a few shared areas: a nice rooftop and computer's room-. Probably it was a bit empty during my stayed so that didn't help to create an interesting atmosphere. Anyway, good value for money.

Clean, tidy and safe! Best hostel so far!

I had a personal problem and Jessica was very helpful, she helped me a lot with my air ticket. The place is very pleasant, comfortable dorms with double bunks (important if you want to sleep!), and there is a nice bar. Perhaps the only things need it just a guest kitchen, but for me it was fine.

Fantastic hostel with great staff! The bathrooms were spotless with hot powerful showers. Best hostel we stayed in, in Brazil. Not many guests though so the party atmosphere lacked but the location was safe and in the middle of the beaches, lapa and old town. Breakfast was nice, restaurant was really good. Boat party was ok- full of Brits. Deffo recommend the hang gliding!

The staff at the hostel were really helpful and friendly telling us the best places to go and the best way of getting there too. The hostel is nice and clean and has a good atmosphere and is in a brilliant location 5 mins away from the metro. Only thing that would improve the hostel would be a kitchen as you have no option but to eat out all the time. The bar that is attached to the hostel is also really good and the staff their are really friendly and helpful too.

• 5th Jul 2014

A whole new concept of hostel.

I stayed in the 16bed dorm during the carnival and it was a very pleasant stay: location is very good and safe and the hostel is very clean. The staff is lovely, very helpful to help and open to chit-chat. Each bed comes with its own locker, however, mine was broke. Luckily, I used my friend's but had I travelled alone it would have been very inconvenient. Also, the breakfast is very basic!

Great place to stay during Carnaval - relaxing and quiet in the day away from the mania that is Lappa, but close enough to metro stations/all the action. Would definitely stay here again!

I've done a fair bit of hosteling and this is definitely one of my favourites. Not sure of other Rio hostels but Id regard this as a slightly quieter and higher end hostel. Though still very cheap. Pros - Amazingly helpful staff - can't get over how lovely they were and how much they all went out of their way to sort out trips, give tips, etc. Not only to me but others I was staying with. Helped make my holiday in Rio over Carnival - Beds and rooms were really comfortable with good air con. Sh

Nice and friendly hostel with helpfull staff.

Pros: bedrooms are wide, beds are comfortable, location is pretty good and so is the breakfast they serve. Cons: bathrooms often had the floor wet and dirty and there was no actual luggage storage (staff only recommended us to leave our bags at a corner near the reception). Measuring the pros and cons, it was a good stay.

• 21st Sep 2013

Very good place, nice location, clean, good breakfast and they have computers with internet for use. I have no complain, I just felt the staff didn´t know Rio pretty much, I asked sometimes where to go in Rio and how to go and they often were struggling in explain to me, but that´s ok, I would be back there for sure! Another good point, they put me in a room that had nobody there, although I was booked in a crowed room, that was nice.

• 14th Sep 2013