Melaleuca On Mitchell Reviews

52 Mitchell Street, Darwin, Australia

Nice hostel. Lacks a common area that isn't a bar or pool but we had a private room so it was fine. Always a crowd at the bar and lovely pool area, kitchen small and very warm!! Staff were incompetent to say the least, for example, couldn't find forks for our kitchen sets, didn't program our room key correctly and when we asked if there was a female toilet/shower room on our floor we were told no and to use upstairs but we later found one on our floor. Otherwise, it was a nice enough stay.

Melaleuca is right in the heart of Mitchell street, which is party central. If this is what you're looking for, I'd stay here. If not, I wouldn't. Nice staff, but no free wifi. Nice pool but lacks a communal area without loud music. There are so many people staying here that cooking is a bit difficult, but the kitchen is satisfactory.

MoM was a place us we flew to Darwin late. Other than that it was only so so. Staff seemed less competent and it was one hell of a party vibe.

Pool area is by far the best part of this hostel. Other than that nothing amazing. Rooms were hardly cleaned other than emptying the rubbish bins. Only 2 power spaces available in a room for 4. Kitchen is way to small and I hate that you have to rent bowls spoons forks knives etc. I'd stay here again since its one of the cheapest hostels but not one of best hostels I've been to.

Don't stay here if you like to chill out or sleep :( Real party hostel, if that's what you want it'd be great The hobs in the kitchen don't really work There's a few things that need fixed that would only take a few minutes, eg. the water fountain The rooms are so cold!!! And pretty cramped once theyre full. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either

This is a big hostel, I generally don't like big hostels. And despite what it says on the website this hostel does not do mixed dorms. I stayed here twice in 2 seperate bookings, both times I asked for a mixed dorm, on my second booking I stressed that I wanted a mixed dorm but both times I was put on the girls only floor. When I questioned this they said it was not a mistake, they said they often change bookings without asking because there were too many girls. Also not enough power points.

Overall, it was good. Clean and safe. Lacking decent communal area of you don't want to drink. Can be a bit loud and lacks a bit of personality (which seems to be the case for a lot of Aussie hostels). Of the 2 hostels I stayed in Darwin, this one was the better one.

Out of the about six washing machines and 6 driers there were only about 2 of each going. With the amount of people staying there you would think they would all be fixed, and a few more clothes lines wouldn't go astray either.

• 29th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Organized hostel with good hot shower and air-conditioning!!! Swimming pools are must go in the steaming afternoon!!!

It was very good, except we had a scare when it appeared that some luggage which had been left in long term storage had gone missing, however, it was found. It would be a good idea if they tagged the bags when they are put into storage and gave us a receipt. Unfortunately, it is so humid in Darwin at this time that the walls of the room were running with water and everything was damp and wet, even though the air conditioning was going full blast and there was a fan - which made it hard to sleep

It was OK for one night, but because of the heat and humidity (the wet season) the walls, floor, ceiling had condensation running Dow - everything was wet! The air conditioning was so noisy, but had to be kept running at full speed! It was only when we were upgraded to thevValue Inn next door that we had a dry night's sleep.

Clean, comfortable, good air con.

Good bar with cheap beer, excellent pool area. Rooms are alright. Having to leave a deposit to get plastic plate...well. The Internet is a joke, having to pay for a connection like back in the 90s. Also, two power sockets aren't enough in a 6-Bed dorm. Showers aren't very nice

Great for a party atmosphere but for me wasn't the best hostel. Air con was so cold you could barely sleep and bathrooms very poor. I stayed across the road in a hostel called youth shack a few days later and this was loads better :)

Stayed for 4 nights as my first stop in Australia. Great location on Mitchell Street (though Darwin isn't a big place), decent sized lockers for backpacks/valuables and friendly staff. Didn't sample too much of the bar due to jet lag most evenings but it looked vibrant and had good deals on most nights. Very impressed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms. Overall, would stay if I ever returned and would recommend to anyone thinking of going.

Beds too small! I'm only 183cm (not that tall) and I had to lie diagonally, very uncomfortable! Otherwise happy customer.

• 19th Jan 2015

The location couldn't be better as it lays in the heart of Darwin. The staff is super friendly. They offer lockers while you're out traveling on a day trip/ 2 days trip, etc. I found that really helpful! Outdoor area i super nice. I liked it at Malaleuca.

• 16th Jan 2015
  • Norway

I like the strong air con and the big locker in the room. The toilet is not very clean, but acceptable.

• 16th Dec 2014