Melbourne International Backpackers Reviews

450 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Australia

Awesome location, nice atmosphere, the taps are shrieking like crazy in the women's bathrooms though. Kitchen always spotless, but stoves don't get hot enough. Good cleaning staff, nice reception staff who is really motivated to make a good impression on people. A certain Irish night receptionist got way more relaxed and easygoing since the last time I've been there (and reviewed). He's also kinda goodlooking. The place is my favourite place to stay in Melbourne, highly recommended.

Excellent hostel! Rooms, kitchen and bathrooms are all clean and spacious! There was a good deal for staying longer and breakfast is included. No complaints here, highly recommend it.

-The tidiness impressed me (room, kitchen, bathroom

Beds too small and not very comfortable, hobs in the kitchen do not work, people only drinking in the kitchen... Nothing special here!

We had some friendly staff and some really cranky staff. The breakfast was great and the washrooms, bedrooms and common area were all very clean! I was most impressed after we left, as I forgot a valuable item and figured someone would have snatched it, but after emailing in to see if they could find it the staff were prompt and honest and I was able to go back to pick it up.

A nice, open communal kitchen and eating space. Access via an elevator and corridor which separates you from the noise of the street which is a plus. Easy access to the hostel after 8pm with key swipe entry, which is safe and convenient. Very pleased with the shower and toilet facilities as well as their cleanliness and space. The mood of the staff varied, though. The fellow at check in was friendly but the girl at check out seemed to be having a bad morning. But overall, a pleasant stay! Thanks

• 18th Apr 2014

Thanks for your great review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hostel hostel. Happy Travels MIB Staff and Management

The best hostel where I've been in all the world, very clean, great position and great price.

Thanks for the awesome review! We are so pleased you enjoyed our hostel. Best of luck with your future travels in Australia. MIB Staff and Management

The whole hostel had a smell of urine and the cleanliness of the facility left a lot to be desired. My girlfriend left with a rash on her face and their seemed to be a distinct lack of interest in the well being of the guests.

• 11th Apr 2014
  • Wales

Thanks for taking the time to leave as a review The staff are completely baffled by your review as we are often told that our hostel cleanliness is fantastic. Our staff work hard to provide clean rooms, bathrooms and common areas for everyone to enjoy. We have had guest in the past that are sensitive to the starch used by the professional linen cleaning company we use. In these cases we just provide in-house machine washed sheets for them to us. Happy Travels MIB Staff and Management

Hostel was ok not the best one I ever stayed. Free Breakfast with Pancakes is cool. Otherwise staff seemed quite bored and not interessted in solving problems. Each time I wantet to use the bathroom it was closed due cleaning proces. Had to go with the lift one floor down, and bathroom was closed as well. Again going with the lift no stairs:-( one floor down. Missed a TV room or common chill out room.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We have a huge male and female bathroom on all three levels of the hostel that are cleaned at different times during the morning. Our hostel has two lifts and two sets of stairs just to the left and right of the elevators for guests to use. We have a large kitchen and dinning area plus a TV room and reading room to chill out in. Happy Travels MIB Staff and Management

It's very central but because of that it's loud quite often. The atmosphere in the kitchen/ coucharea is very relaxed and friendly and you get free breakfast every morning :)

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Best of luck with you future travels in Australia MIB Staff and Management

I've stayed at MIB several times in Melbourne and despite the fact that it can get a bit rowdy at night due to overexcited young travellers, it's a great place to stay. Free breakfast, coffee and tea. Ample storage and cooking space,the showers are cleaned by professional staff (not backpackers) and it's BYO alcohol and consumption until 1am. I would recommend this place to others.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a great review. We look forward to you staying with us in the future. Happy Travels MIB Staff and Management

When we arrived the girl at the reception look quite uninterrested. In the third floor four out of eight womens toilets were out of order which doesnt look good for the hostel.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review as we appreciate all feedback. We apologies if the staff member was not more interested in you arrival but we really are happy to have any travelers visiting Melbourne come stay at our hostel. Any issues in the bathrooms are reported daily by our cleaning staff and repairs done as soon as possible to provide full service for our guests. Happy Travels MIB Staff and Management

Breakfast's awesome, kitchen always spotless, great location, great prices - Irish dude from the reception is very grumpy all the time. Also it's very loud at nights.

Had a good stay. Spacious rooms, spacious lockers, amazing breakfast. Clean facilities you can use even after check out which is helpful when you have to catch a late flight,bus etc. Easy access to everywhere,tram,aldi just across the street. Only weired thing:you have to buy your own mug. It's only $1,but still... Would recommand this place and definately come back.

Dear Guest Thanks for you great comments, we are very happy to hear you had a good stay with us. Happy travels MIB Staff and Management

nice hostel, for guests who just wanna stay a couple of nights in Melbourne City and do some party

Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. Glad you had a good stay with us Happy Travels MIB Staff

The rooms are located around the common area, so when it gets loud and noisy in the common area you hear the noise up in the room too.

Very good value for money. They have free breakfast: toasts, spreads and pancakes (get there early if you don't want to queue to prepare your pancakes). The location is really good, you can walk to all the main attractions of the CBD. The room that I stayed in was facing the street and was very noisy from early in the morning, so if you sleep lightly, try to avoid them. The staff was friendly and helpful (though I didn't interact much with them). I would provably stay there again.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Argentina

Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are happy to hear you had a good stay with us and enjoyed your time in Melboune Happy Travels MIB Staff

The location and staff are OK, however when I tried to print several things for a job interview there were a lot of issues and it took over an hour to rectify. Also my room was shut down due to a bed bug infestation and no one told me, so I stayed for another night before being moved to a six bed dorm when i had paid for a four bed dorm. I also had to heat treat all my clothes and waste another few hours on that. I was not offered a refund or anything for my inconvenience.

Unfortunately bed bugs is a real problem in the hotel and hostel industry. We take the treatment of bed bugs seriously, so when it is identified that it has been brought into out hostel we actively treat the problem, with a great cost to us, so it is not spread to another hostel or cause guests any more problems in the future. We apologies that this affected you stay. All staff involved said that you were really great about the inconvenience, which we appreciate. MIB Management

Great breakfast if you get up early, free wifi if you and discount if you stay 7 nights. Clean toilets and showers as well as the room we stayed in. As soon as the staff saw that the kitchen was dirty they cleaned it :) Maybe not a hostel to meet people because it is huge and you feel a bit lost. But if you stay there a couple of days you will meet really nice guys :)

Thanks for great review. We are so pleased you had a good time in our hostel and in Melbourne. Happy Travels MIB Staff and Management

Nice hostel though it's big! Met some nice people here and felt all safe and comfortable! I liked the big lockers in the rooms, the facilities (never have to wait for a shower unless the cleaning is on) and the location. Aldi close by! Had a great time in the mib!