Mellow Yellow Villa Reviews

Rua Republica do Peru, 444, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I have nothing to say about the hostel because I didnt's have the chance to stay , neither hostelworld or Mellow Yellow informed me that the site was under construction, the booking was confirmed so I arrived early in the morning with my bags to find what seems to be an abandoned space, the security guard told us they where closed, so i had to start walking to find another hotel all because no one had the decency to let us know. Worst experience i've ever had traveling.

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Colombia

The place was off for electric service. It had no light for the whole weekend and yet I was able to make reservations the night before getting there... =( The guy informed us with no further apologies. Which makes me believe that I make more importance of his business than himself. I particularly choose that hostel because years ago I stood there and it was great great great. But it is now in a different building and, definitely in a different state of mind.

• 24th Oct 2014

Hostel World should be updated to reflect their new "deal". When I showed up they said I would be receiving 50% off my stay. Great news to me! HOWEVER, that is because after the World Cup the owner refused to pay the electric bill so the hostel has been without power ever since. No lights, no wifi, no A/C, no fans, no chargers for anything electronic, no nothing. I can be without one or two of those things, but no lights after 5 PM? No thanks! I left promptly and had already paid deposit.

Management : The lights being were a result of a the main electric board blow as a result of the heat over here the hostel since the middle of sept has being without lights due to the fact that the building is being rewired for the 2015 high season. The hostel will be up and running properly at the end of november, thank you

It was the worst hostel i have been in, to start we got to the place that had no lights, no security, no body at the reception so we were stuck outside for 30+ min knocking on the door, finaly someone came to the door to let us in while he was saying good bye to to the hooker he had been with the night before and ofcoarse makeing sure that she would come back later with some friends, when he decided to take us on a tour he showed us where he also did a couple lines of cocaine after that we left

• 9th Oct 2014
  • Peru

To hear this is hard to belive, considering the hostel is closed for the month of october due to rewiring of the building, again sorry you were not informed before your party arrived but making false comments is not needed, thank you

breakfast its not like them wrote, sometimes late and if you dont wake up early you are not gonna eat nothing. staff is not nice.

It was a fun exciting place to stay with a good Party atmosphere. However some staff were quite useless especially one of the girls who is there to just drink every night and not ableto do her job or know anything you ask her. Also forgetting to put out breakfast so for my whole stay I only got the breakfast I paid for once, which was good when I had it! Other than that it's a good hostel to stay in.

• 19th Jul 2014

One of the better hostels to stay at in Rio. Just a concern that the staff never knew which beds were occupied and by whom (but in fairness this was during WC month), some people staying at the back packers never had breakfast, once it was finished, there wasn't any additional breakfast made for people who never received any, hostel can work on this. Wifi was good, bathroom facilities too, rooms very spacious. Would return and recommend.

This hostel is in a great location and has the potential to be great except a lot of poor staffing and their actions really let it down. There were a few double booked beds, had to really hassle one staff member for toilet paper and if you weren't first in for breakfast you missed out. The atmosphere was good of a night time at the bar and the drinks were cheap, could use a bit more variety. There was one staff member who really made my trip though, very helpful and knowledgeable, Ekky.

Hostel is close to the copacabana beach and in a good central location. I stayed here for four nights and had a great time. Staff are really lovely and very helpful. This can be a party hostel if you want it to be, however if you want a quiet early night just bring ear plugs and you'll be fine. Breakfast is ok, got to get up early and on time of serving otherwise you'll miss out. Would recommend.

Problems with breakfast and breakfast times. Staff was very stubborn to provide some more breakfast if everything was eaten before the end time. Also breakfast times switched from day to day, looked very random. So it said 9-11am but when we got there at 10.30am we were told that the breakfast time was from 8.30-10.30....

• 2nd May 2014

Management: Upon all arrivals, during all check in's the information of the hostel is told to you, including what time breakfast was, which is 8:30 - 10:30, the time has never changed .

We lived in an 8 pers. dorm, but the first night, there was 9, who slept there! WTF? The breakfast was an hour late! Small and dirty kitchen. Our bed was cleaned and stuff put away, because the staff don't know where people sleep. Smoke gets easily into the rooms from the bar area. A lot of noise. Nice bathrooms + breakfast + location. DON'T EVER STAY HERE!! The staff is the most ruthless and ignorant people ever, except one britsh guy. We didn't get one good night out of our 4 nights!

I have stayed in many hostels in Rio and this is by far one of the best!

Very hot room.

Had a great time at the hostel, the bar is by far the best thing going there cheap drinks and it stays open till late in case your to lazy to go out, and in the morning the breakfast saves you all u can eat buffet by far best breakfast ive had at a hostel, also the wrist band for security great idea in case u get lost and forget the address not to mention hote is just 3 blocks from the beach, will for sure recommend this place to other

• 13th Mar 2014

Very happy to have made your stay at Mellow Yellow Villa so great, hope to see you back again soon

We booked by Hostelworld. When we arrived a blond girl who was very rude and didn't know how to do her job, told us that the hostel was full and that it was not her problem if we had payed a reservation by hostelworld. Then she gave as a few Reales (the money back from the reservation charge) and asked us to go away. We didn't find a place to sleep so we had to go to the airport to spent the night. NEVER SEEN something like thisThe WORST experience i had in a hostel in all my life. A REAL SHAME.

Hello we are sorry about the mess up, as we have been full to capacity nearly everyday this high season,and have had some over bookings, we returned your reservation money and we never asked you to go away, the receptionist tried to find a hostel for you to stay, you diddnt want to stay at the hostels we found for you again very sorry about the mix up.

Had a great time at this hostel, the staff were always willing to help and would take you out at night, rooms were nice, decent breakfast, looked like new bathrooms upstairs. I would recommend this hostel to anyone, especially if you want to meet people and have a good time.

• 28th Jan 2014

A little pricy for what was offered. Quite often there was not enough breakfast - and what there was, was average at best. Thought it would be a more happening hostel - would be hesitant to recommend it again.

• 26th Jan 2014

The receptionist wasn't very interested in helping us. And said she wasn't google maps and normally we would be charged for this, which isn't true. I thought we could ask for for help by the staff but apparently not. The rooms were good but I didn't think the atmosphere was that good

• 10th Jan 2014
  • Denmark

You cant pay with credit card or thats what the owner of the hostel said!! she was very furious because i first contact with her, and then i booked by hostelworld. She speaks just english and is always in bad mood. Is very expensive for what they offer. The breakfast was quiet good, the atmosphere very poor. The bathrooms were not very clean. And the staff doesnt seem organized. The only good thing is the location, 3/4 blocks from the beach.

Management: Yes you can pay with credit card just in this case, you wanted to each pay with credit card for a 30 reais bill, when it cleary states 50 reais or more, compared to other hostels Mellow Yellow Villa Is fairly priced considering it is located 3 blocks form the copacabana beach, the atmosphere might have been more entertaining if you guys had not stayed in your rooms drinking your own drinks, which is clearly in violation of the hostel rules.

This is by far the worst hostel ive ever stayed at. Unlike what they state in their information section, no maps were provided let alone any helpful information. Staff were very friendly but not at all trained and facilities were below average. Although location was excellent. I would not reccommend staying here.

• 25th Dec 2013
  • South Africa

Management: We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but if you had clearly looked at the reception wall of information, there is information on buses, tours, hostel information, a weekly schedule of things to do, sites to book plane and bus reservations and YES a large map of Rio de Janeiro.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7