Melville International Backpackers Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

The hostel is in a beautiful villa, and you feel very comfortable, like in your home. The location is great, close to pubs, restaurants and a supermarket. It is also easy to reach the center of Johannesburg, just taking minibus and spending only 9 rands. The kitchen is very well equipped and dorms are comfortable. Just the bathrooms are a bit small, but this is the only downside

Safe neighborhood near 7th av with bars and restaurants. The hot tap in the shower burns you when you touch it. No wifi in the rooms. Good place to overnight.

I felt easily at home in this hostel. It was a home from home for me. The staff are great most especially Geoffrey he should get a raise! He was extremely helpful with any queries anyone had, be it booking buses, directions or tours he could sort it all for you with a smile. I stupidly left my laptop behind me in the hostel and Geoffrey rang me to let me know, I hadn't realised at all. This honesty is said to be rare in Jo'burg so feel safe in the knowledge your in good hands in this place.

I do not recommend this hostel, because the staff is keen to earn extra money on guests. e.g. they order a taxi and agree with the driver on a higher price which includes a commission for themselves the prices for tours are intransparent - no clear indication or possibilty to compare different offers: staff arranges a tour and asks the (private) tour guide for a high commission. - the tour was for SA standards extraordinarily expensive (550Rand per person for a tour of half a day)

Calm quiet atmosphere. Great location walking distance of all amenities and 7th street restaurant and bars. Great wifi. Only had a issue with someone in the dorm (or not) getting into everyone's bags and taking money. Never caught the individual. Clear it was a guest and not an employee. Hostel did everything in there power to rectify the situation. Ultimately is was my fault for leaving the money in my bag. Safe available for valuables. Would I return, Yes! And I did again.

we arrived to find the staff arrogant and the facilities very poor. What was said to be a double room was very, very small. We just left and went somewhere else and were glad we did.

Great place in a nice part of Johannesburg. Staff friendly and the place was roomy and clean. Recommended.

This place is very nice. The surrounding seems to be safe. It is right next to supermarket, pharmacy, bookshop and very close to the 7th street with restaurants, clubs, etc. Bibbi, who works here, has been so helpful and so kind to me. I also recommend to use the tourguide which is introduced by this hostel. His name is Chico. Very enthusiastic, fun guy.

• 9th Nov 2013