Melville International Backpackers Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

We booked a room for two people and as we arrived they told us that our room wasn't available anymore. Luckily out friends switched the reservation with us so that they stayed in the dorm and we could have the room. Unfortunately the room was a really small cabin with one bed for one person that we had to share even though we paid for two people.

Get robbed in Front of the Hostel (20m away)

• 23rd May 2014

The hostel is in a beautiful villa, and you feel very comfortable, like in your home. The location is great, close to pubs, restaurants and a supermarket. It is also easy to reach the center of Johannesburg, just taking minibus and spending only 9 rands. The kitchen is very well equipped and dorms are comfortable. Just the bathrooms are a bit small, but this is the only downside

Safe neighborhood near 7th av with bars and restaurants. The hot tap in the shower burns you when you touch it. No wifi in the rooms. Good place to overnight.

I felt easily at home in this hostel. It was a home from home for me. The staff are great most especially Geoffrey he should get a raise! He was extremely helpful with any queries anyone had, be it booking buses, directions or tours he could sort it all for you with a smile. I stupidly left my laptop behind me in the hostel and Geoffrey rang me to let me know, I hadn't realised at all. This honesty is said to be rare in Jo'burg so feel safe in the knowledge your in good hands in this place.

I do not recommend this hostel, because the staff is keen to earn extra money on guests. e.g. they order a taxi and agree with the driver on a higher price which includes a commission for themselves the prices for tours are intransparent - no clear indication or possibilty to compare different offers: staff arranges a tour and asks the (private) tour guide for a high commission. - the tour was for SA standards extraordinarily expensive (550Rand per person for a tour of half a day)

Calm quiet atmosphere. Great location walking distance of all amenities and 7th street restaurant and bars. Great wifi. Only had a issue with someone in the dorm (or not) getting into everyone's bags and taking money. Never caught the individual. Clear it was a guest and not an employee. Hostel did everything in there power to rectify the situation. Ultimately is was my fault for leaving the money in my bag. Safe available for valuables. Would I return, Yes! And I did again.

we arrived to find the staff arrogant and the facilities very poor. What was said to be a double room was very, very small. We just left and went somewhere else and were glad we did.

Great place in a nice part of Johannesburg. Staff friendly and the place was roomy and clean. Recommended.

This place is very nice. The surrounding seems to be safe. It is right next to supermarket, pharmacy, bookshop and very close to the 7th street with restaurants, clubs, etc. Bibbi, who works here, has been so helpful and so kind to me. I also recommend to use the tourguide which is introduced by this hostel. His name is Chico. Very enthusiastic, fun guy.

• 9th Nov 2013
  • Vietnam

The loocation in Melvilleis very good, the reason for us to stay there. The staff is friendly but not very helpfull and only provide basic answers to the questions raised. The kitchen and bathroom are shared, which in general is not a problem but especially the kitchen was not very clean when we used it. This might be because other guests left it that way but still, this could be improved. The facities as stated on the website are a bit to optimistic, the pool is very small, too small to swim...

Had a great time here! Came here as a young solo female and really loved it. The dorm rooms have a cosy feel and have nice beds. Good free internet. Great kitchen facilities. Definitely a lovely place to hang out and relax, drink tea and read a book in the sun-lit atmospheric living area. Beautiful courtyard with garden and pool.

• 16th Aug 2013

A lovely setting and very friendly staff. I would have appreciated more reliability from the wi-fi and a wider range of information about the area from the staff. (Mostly they just referred me to bus tours.) Overall, though, an excellent value and a very nice spot to set up in Jo'burg.

Great place we enjoyed it! Locaion is great, specially if you're going to hang out in Melville. Parking also availebale inside the gate. We stayed in a double room (the more expensive one), which was wonderful. There was also a heater in the room which helped a lot during our winter stay.

• 27th Jul 2013
  • Finland

Located in a nice area of Jo´burg, with spacious rooms and good beds, Melville International Backpackers is a OK place. Not the best hostel I´ve stayed in, not as fun as I wished it to be, but a good and clean place anyway. The most anoying thing about this hostel is their wi-fi, available only from 8am to 10pm - when it works at all.

Nice hotel in a safe area with plenty of restaurants and stores, that it's also safe to go to at night. I would stay here again.

the staff weren´t very nice. they tried to take more money from us and they did: we booked a safary and they asked us for 200r more. they changed the price of the rooms . The rooms smelled bad, they didnt change the sheets, the towels smelled bad too. toilets werent very clean. beds were uncomfortabe, they had their computer broken.

Buzzer on gate didn't seem to be working.

• 5th Jan 2013

The hostel is ok, it is good because of the price and the location. The staff is very rude and not prepared to receive people. The internet works only from 8 am to 10 pm, which is ridiculous because you cannot talk to your family in case you live in a country very behind in time comparing to South Africa, and you cannot use Skype also! If they change this stuped rules about internet, the place will be much better.

Heavy atmosphere. Staff misogynist. Extremely whimsical. Employees enter the room without knocking. Without apologizing. I stayed here for a week, I was forced twice to change rooms. Given the prices, I hoped at least a friendly welcome ... After 6 months in South Africa, that was the first time i did not feel good in a backpackers. Whatever you decide to do, George is always watching you. Hard to breathe here. I strongly suggest you to go elsewhere, especially if you're a lonely young woman !

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4