Mercaderes Backpackers Reviews

c/ Mercaderes 135-A, Cercado, Arequipa, Peru

Mercaderes Backpackers is located less than a block from Arequipa's Plaza de Armas. It was a bit difficult to locate (small sign) but super convenient. You have to ring the bell to enter and the staff has to buzz you in. The rooftop patio area was cute, and the breakfast was great- best bread I've had in Peru (baguette-like roll). Very clean and met some lovely people along the way.

Pancake breakfast is delicious! Great location and friendly staff, with good views from the roof terrace. Kitchen facilities could do with an upgrade. Had a forgetful couple of days and managed to leave my kindle in the dorm after checking out. Thankfully this was handed in by the cleaner and I was able to collect it on our return to Arequipa after I had almost given up hope.

Great hostel! Located right in the town center. So really close to everything. The staff was very helpful in helping me arrange my bus out of areqipa. I stayed in the six person room and the beds all had curtains around the beds so privacy was really nice. Great breakfast! I recommed it!

Good: location is great, right in the centre. Rooms are warms, beds are fairly comfy. lockers for stuff, breakfast is tasty. Organised Colca trek through the hostel and it was great. Bad: Showers are terrible, never hot, barely warm.

Ideally located off of Arequipa's main square, this hostel is basic but does feature an attractive terrace boasting views of the mountains. The hostel can be loud as it features a bar, but will otherwise do as a base for exploring town.

Really great location, right beside the cathedral. The breakfast was much better than expected! Eggs and banana pancakes.! The rooms were clean, but the bathrooms could use a little TLC. Overall, good hostel in a great location.

Great hostel for cheap cost. Given that, the lockers don't fit backpacks and there aren't keys to the rooms. I'd highly recommend staying in a 6 person room over a 12 person room as the beds in the 6-person are MUCH nicer!! Great location.

The hostel it was great, just cold shower...

Excellent hostel with wonderful breakfast, friendly staff, perfect location and quality places to hangout. The beds in the dorms even have curtains for extra privacy! Only gripe is that the heat of re showers wasn't always reliable but in my 3 nights I only had a problem once. Would definitely recommend anyone to stay here.

Great hostel! The travel agency is very helpful and can book buses and tours for you. The terrace is lovely and the breakfast is amazing!! The only downside is that the large dorm is on the Main Street and is quite loud during the day.

Staff was very nice and helpful!

• 12th Jun 2015

the location of the hostel was great. The roof top terasse was wonderful. The banana pancakes for breakfast were very yummy and the staff was very friendly.

Great location just off the main square. There was a mix up with my booking which was resolved with a little upgrade, which was nice. Everyone was friendly and really helpful.

Staff was nice although not very helpful. I managed to have one hot shower out of my four attempts. It was nice having a roof for the views but the kitchen was too small and the breakfast becomes repetitive if you stay there more than 2 days. Great location though.

The staff was so friendly to let me into the room when I arrived early in the morning, feeling sick. Location is fantastic, as is the roof terrace. Breakfast is good, beds are comfy. The 6 bed dorm has beds with curtains and each bed has its own light and electricity point! Very nice hostel to stay at!!

This place is backpacker Heaven! After spending a few nights in Colca Canyon, this place came to the rescue with warm showers, comfortable, spacious rooms, and a prime location right in the center of clean, historic Arequipa. Tons of restaurants and fun bars around, and a hearty meal of pancakes of or eggs in the AM.. what more can a traveler ask for? Plus, the roof top terrace is a nice place to chill and meet other guests. Recommended!!

Mercaderes Backpackers is very conveniently located a block away from Plaza de Armas with a great view from the rooftop terrace at nighttime and in the morning for the complimentary breakfast (banana pancakes with dulce de leche). Room was comfortable and clean, friendly staff, and backpack storage was great when we were off trekking Colca Canyon. Only slight annoyance was waiting in the morning to use one of the three showers.

I still paid full amount when checking in. the deposit paid online was not deducted because the receptionist said that was for the commission etc.

This is a prime location in the heart of the city. Theres always something going on and you are steps away from major shopping areas, food places, attractions. The staff are the best I've seen in SA - they are very attentive, helpful with tours and fun (they took us to play soccer with their friends). They also shipped my jacket to my next hostel when I forgot it in Arequipa. If you're going to this city, I highly highly recommend this hostel!!

• 12th May 2015

Perfect location, really chilled hostel with nice rooftop terrace, breakfast was good, choice between pancakes and eggs. Would book again!!