Ming Courtyard Reviews

No.34 XinTaiCang Hutong, DongZhiMen, Beijing, Beijing, China

The staff has very poor English and was not always helpful in finding solutions (ie for storing valuables as all of the provided locker were occupied). Maps had to be paid for; only nad copy of Beijing's subway was provided for free. Rooms in the main building were quite noisy due to the doors of the toilet and shower room which were always kept open. There was no wifi in the rooms, only in the common areas.

Only one member of staff speaks very limited English, and is quite rude, which makes things difficult. Location is pretty good and plenty of atmosphere but staff aren't helpful at all. Also the rooms don't have lockers, when every other hostel in China does. Wouldn't come here if it's your first time in China or Beijing.

• 13th Jul 2014

This hostel shows Beijing at it's best. It is located in a small street between all local Beijingers but it's next to one of the famous food streets, showing the contrast between normal life and the big city experience.

The guy at the reception was a bit weird and half asleep when I got there, went through all my passport and checked every line... Beds in 10-bed dorm are larger than usual, comfy, and AC a great comfort in this summer heat! The hostel is in a hutong where one can buy breakfast and dinner easily. Iwould recommend this hostel and come back!

Hostel has a lovely courtyard for hanging out in, and is very clean and in a good location.

Toilets and showers were cleaned regularly although occasionally (twice in 4 days) there was no toilet paper. I accidentally left my watch in the shower and when I returned it had been taken and not handed in. This is not a fault of the hostel, but be aware that you do need to be vigilant regarding security. Free wifi & use of a desktop PC available, tho internet is slow. Install a VPN before going to China if you want to use Facebook.

• 5th Jul 2014

lobby smelling, should shower the dog in lobby more frequency, especially in summer.

Good location, but difficult to find! Staff could be more hospitable.

I rated the hostel's location as average because it is really difficult to find. There is no sign at Xin Tai Cang Hutong, and if you do not speak Chinese you will have a hard time figuring out the location. Going downtown by metro is easy, but it takes around 35 minutes. Although the staff spoke English, there was a bit of a language barrier. Beside that, the hostel looks really nice, and has a good atmosphere. It is good value for money.

Great location, quite cheap for being Beijing and clean rooms and facilities and an massive courtyard, I had a good stay here.

I liked the location. Would have been very hard to find on my own. The only major issue I had was that the A/C didn't seem to work and I was bitten countless times by mosquitoes while I was trying to get some sleep.

The hostel itself was great - clean facilities, an awesome courtyard to relax, and probably the cleanest bathrooms of any hostel I've been in. It has a good location, too. Not very far from the metro, and the street is filled with restaurants, stores, and other conveniences. My major complaint is that the staff was not very friendly or helpful. The guy who checked us in was standoffish and had a poor attitude. If I'm in Beijing again, I'll probably try a different place.

This was 4th stay in China but first at this hostel, had private room with attached bathroom, excellent. I stop 4 days for shopping with wife on way to Siberia from Australia. i arrived at 3am with wife no problem, staff very good.a little difficult for TAXI in road to hostel staff helped with instructions over phone, but very close to main road, easy walk with bags and many TAXI to airport, he used clock and cost about 85 RMB, I will stay at same hostel next time, VERY HAPPY Patrick

• 20th Jun 2014

The staff at Ming Courtyard is friendly and helpful. They do their best to satisfy the needs of their guests. Regarding the hostel itself, its location and the Hutong atmosphere is excellent. Furthermore you don not have any problems to find adequate food or entertainment around. Ming Courtyard is definetly a good choice. Keep up the good work.

• 31st May 2014

On my return from wudang mountains I did a stop over here for one night prior to connecting onward flights home. It was great, felt safe, clean rooms, and beautiful courtyard setting.

• 29th May 2014
  • Scotland

This hostel might be quite hard to find (taxis cant find it) but it is one of the best hostel I've ever been. We were 12 friends staying in a dorm for 3 nights and it was absolutely perfect. Super nice and clean room with a great terrace! The atmosphere is lovely. The common bathroom with the whole hostel was clean too. Location is quite good (dongzhimen) and staff is OK (not especially nice).

I loved this hostel! I was kinda disappointed that I only stayed here one night because this would have been a cool place to stay for longer. This hostel is in a hutong courtyard and its really cool looking. It has a really cool rustic feel. Right by the subway and by a few tourist attractions. Staff was super helpful. Wifi was pretty good. In an area where not a lot of foreigners live so you will get some stares but that is all the China experience! Would definitely stay here again!

If I was a 吃货( Just a eating guy), this hostel is a nice place then. Quite close to Gui Jie, which is a popular street eating at night.

great atmosphere for socializing and zen'in out. tastefully decorated garden n social areas. drinks and food prices ate reasonable at the hostel. the staff there are mostly super sweet.:3

Dear guest,many thanks for your favourable comments,hope to see you again.

I stayed in a private room and it was very nice. The beds sheets and towels were changed everyday - and it was kept clean. The two girls who worked there were helpful and nice but the guy who worked there was not helpful at all. The location was hard to find, but almost all hostels all and once you find it it's very convenient and close to the main attractions.

• 1st May 2014

Thank you very much for your comments,and we will try our best to do it better,welcome back again.