Ming Courtyard Reviews

No.34 XinTaiCang Hutong, DongZhiMen, Beijing, Beijing, China

Good place to stay, good location and pretty clean. Most staff members are friendly and helpful except one who is pretty rude! I'll let you figure out which one! Beds are REALLY comfortable with super clean white sheets. Showers could do with a bit of a scrub. There is no kitchen facilities so you can't cook (They have a little restaurant) but the staff let us put things in the restaurant fridge but it was a bit of a pain having to ask them for our stuff whenever we needed it.

Nice open area sociable areas, shame the hostel decided to prioritize beds over food or drink. The hostel is nice bathroom was nice. BUT don't get a 4 bed dorm!! There are no windows and only one light and an air vent (Really doesn't help cool the room down!)

the hostel is super nice, it has a huge beautiful courtyard where it´s pleasant to hang out. another good thing was that there were many toilets and showers so we never had to wait in line. the only bad thing was that there was so much noise every night which made it almost impossible to sleep. Besides from that; the only thing that is really mising in this hostel is a guest kitchen!

The sunny courtyard is definitely the highlight of the hostel, great for lounging in the sun.

It's a good place to stay. But it's hard to find the guesthouse, you need to ask around before can get it.

Stayed for around 10 days, definitely recommend it. Nice location, lots of foods and bodegas around (a new bar just opened around the corner), clean and neat room, a very nice courtyard and a cute dog, staff are polite and helpful. A good budget choice in DongCheng. I stayed in 4 hostels in Beijing and I'd say this is the best I've tried among the 4.

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

The staff has very poor English and was not always helpful in finding solutions (ie for storing valuables as all of the provided locker were occupied). Maps had to be paid for; only nad copy of Beijing's subway was provided for free. Rooms in the main building were quite noisy due to the doors of the toilet and shower room which were always kept open. There was no wifi in the rooms, only in the common areas.

The hostel has a beautiful courtyard and our room was spacious and seemed clean. The bathroom facilities were also clean and had ok western plumbing :) The staff was a pain though. We had changed our reservation over e-mail and they made a bigger deal out of it than it was, posissibly a communication problem as they all had limited eng (we arrived one day later than originally booked, but had notified them). It was generally difficult to communicate and none of them seemed eager to help.

Only one member of staff speaks very limited English, and is quite rude, which makes things difficult. Location is pretty good and plenty of atmosphere but staff aren't helpful at all. Also the rooms don't have lockers, when every other hostel in China does. Wouldn't come here if it's your first time in China or Beijing.

• 13th Jul 2014

This hostel shows Beijing at it's best. It is located in a small street between all local Beijingers but it's next to one of the famous food streets, showing the contrast between normal life and the big city experience.

The guy at the reception was a bit weird and half asleep when I got there, went through all my passport and checked every line... Beds in 10-bed dorm are larger than usual, comfy, and AC a great comfort in this summer heat! The hostel is in a hutong where one can buy breakfast and dinner easily. Iwould recommend this hostel and come back!

Hostel has a lovely courtyard for hanging out in, and is very clean and in a good location.

Toilets and showers were cleaned regularly although occasionally (twice in 4 days) there was no toilet paper. I accidentally left my watch in the shower and when I returned it had been taken and not handed in. This is not a fault of the hostel, but be aware that you do need to be vigilant regarding security. Free wifi & use of a desktop PC available, tho internet is slow. Install a VPN before going to China if you want to use Facebook.

• 5th Jul 2014

lobby smelling, should shower the dog in lobby more frequency, especially in summer.

Good location, but difficult to find! Staff could be more hospitable.

I rated the hostel's location as average because it is really difficult to find. There is no sign at Xin Tai Cang Hutong, and if you do not speak Chinese you will have a hard time figuring out the location. Going downtown by metro is easy, but it takes around 35 minutes. Although the staff spoke English, there was a bit of a language barrier. Beside that, the hostel looks really nice, and has a good atmosphere. It is good value for money.

Great location, quite cheap for being Beijing and clean rooms and facilities and an massive courtyard, I had a good stay here.

I liked the location. Would have been very hard to find on my own. The only major issue I had was that the A/C didn't seem to work and I was bitten countless times by mosquitoes while I was trying to get some sleep.

The hostel itself was great - clean facilities, an awesome courtyard to relax, and probably the cleanest bathrooms of any hostel I've been in. It has a good location, too. Not very far from the metro, and the street is filled with restaurants, stores, and other conveniences. My major complaint is that the staff was not very friendly or helpful. The guy who checked us in was standoffish and had a poor attitude. If I'm in Beijing again, I'll probably try a different place.

This was 4th stay in China but first at this hostel, had private room with attached bathroom, excellent. I stop 4 days for shopping with wife on way to Siberia from Australia. i arrived at 3am with wife no problem, staff very good.a little difficult for TAXI in road to hostel staff helped with instructions over phone, but very close to main road, easy walk with bags and many TAXI to airport, he used clock and cost about 85 RMB, I will stay at same hostel next time, VERY HAPPY Patrick

• 20th Jun 2014