Miyanoura Portside Youth Hostel Reviews

278-2 Miyanoura, Yakushima-cho, Kumage-gun, Kagoshima-pref., Kagoshima Yakushima Island, Japan

It was a lovely stay. The manager and his staff are very helpful and friendly. The facilities are extremely clean and the Japanese Bath was a real pleasure after one day hiking in the rainy forest. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely recommend this place! It is conveniently located nearby the port and bus stops.

Great hostel, I definitely recommend it. The staff is very helpful and can give you advice on hiking etc., they have a deck facing the water where I wish I could have spent an extra day relaxing.

Too expensive for a youth hostel. Otherwise it is very nice.

I had a good three night stay in the hostel, I enjoyed the bath tub there after hiking. There is a nice terasse. Supermarkt, port and bus stop close by. Maybe a little pricy but that might be because it is on an island.

A great choice as a base for exploring Yakushima. The location is perfect, close to both the port and the bus stop.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Norway

Pretty much nothing to say, very convenient hostel but as every YH on the island, the price is a bit high compare as the others YH in the country. There is no kitchen but basic oven, micro wave and fridge do their job. The rooms are very nice, with tatamis and classic bed, you can choose one night to another :-) The bus stop is only 2 minutes walk and ferry 5 minutes.

Loved Miyanoura Youth Hostel. Highly recommend staying here. It's small and simple, clean and comfortable. Only four beds in my dorm. An easy walk from the port. Mickey is a great host.

Many thanks to the owner who makes the stay very much enjoyable... He is very dedicated to backpackers interest.

Best Island Hostel we have ever been to! Very clean, very relaxing (great Ohuro!) and very quiet. All amenities you need on a rainy Island (enough dryers, shoe-drying facility etc.). The kitchen is missing a stove but except for that it's just perfect. Staff is so friendly and better informed than the tourist office :)! Great hiking opportunities around the island. We loved it so much that we stayed longer than intended! Thank you Mickey and staff!!!

I liked the hostel although it was a bit expensive IMHO. I loved the hot tube, perfect after all the rain and hiking. The common room was very comfortable, too. Providing food and drinks is was a good idea. All in all I really liked this place and I would stay there again if I'd come back.

I really enjoyed this hostel! Good layout and facilities, perfect location, and kind, helpful staff. Other guests were also respectful of noise levels as many people awoke very early to begin hiking. Definitely worth the money.

While it may appear to be a bit grungy on the outside, the inside is very clean, with decently comfortable beds, and nice facilities. The owner was very helpful (not sure how good his English is though, only spoke Japanese with him), and the ofuro in the evening was excellent after a day of hiking. The location is fine, but everything is a bit out of the way on Yakushima, so what can I say? There is something of a curfew, but there's no nightlife on Yakushima, so it's a nonissue.

it was very comfortable and the staffs are friendly. I met some nice people who stayed there, too. thanks.

• 3rd May 2014
  • Japan

Front desk staff was very helpful. Some people have complained about the quietness at the hostel and I would like to defend them. People come to Yakushima to go hiking. The famous hike is to jomonsugi. The hike is 10 hours long and you are advised to wake up at around 3am or 4am in order to complete the hike and return before the last bus. I really appreciated the fact that the hostel was quiet on the days I needed to wake up early for hiking. If you want to party, there is a bar nearby.

The advices on sightseeing and mounteneering were excellent and you know what there are Mitake drinking time to share experiences in Yakyshima, offering free by parent. Mitake is a famous liquor made in Yakushima. The terrace seeing harbor was also nice to enjoy beer!

• 30th Apr 2014
  • Japan

From the privacy of my own room with a couple of friends, the warm atmosphere of the common area, and the great company of the owner, it was a great stay.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Extremely clean and tidy place. Helpful staff.

• 25th Apr 2014