Miyanoura Portside Youth Hostel Reviews

278-2 Miyanoura, Yakushima-cho, Kumage-gun, Kagoshima-pref., Kagoshima Yakushima Island, Japan

Pretty much nothing to say, very convenient hostel but as every YH on the island, the price is a bit high compare as the others YH in the country. There is no kitchen but basic oven, micro wave and fridge do their job. The rooms are very nice, with tatamis and classic bed, you can choose one night to another :-) The bus stop is only 2 minutes walk and ferry 5 minutes.

Many thanks to the owner who makes the stay very much enjoyable... He is very dedicated to backpackers interest.

Best Island Hostel we have ever been to! Very clean, very relaxing (great Ohuro!) and very quiet. All amenities you need on a rainy Island (enough dryers, shoe-drying facility etc.). The kitchen is missing a stove but except for that it's just perfect. Staff is so friendly and better informed than the tourist office :)! Great hiking opportunities around the island. We loved it so much that we stayed longer than intended! Thank you Mickey and staff!!!

I liked the hostel although it was a bit expensive IMHO. I loved the hot tube, perfect after all the rain and hiking. The common room was very comfortable, too. Providing food and drinks is was a good idea. All in all I really liked this place and I would stay there again if I'd come back.

I really enjoyed this hostel! Good layout and facilities, perfect location, and kind, helpful staff. Other guests were also respectful of noise levels as many people awoke very early to begin hiking. Definitely worth the money.

While it may appear to be a bit grungy on the outside, the inside is very clean, with decently comfortable beds, and nice facilities. The owner was very helpful (not sure how good his English is though, only spoke Japanese with him), and the ofuro in the evening was excellent after a day of hiking. The location is fine, but everything is a bit out of the way on Yakushima, so what can I say? There is something of a curfew, but there's no nightlife on Yakushima, so it's a nonissue.

it was very comfortable and the staffs are friendly. I met some nice people who stayed there, too. thanks.

• 3rd May 2014
  • Japan

Front desk staff was very helpful. Some people have complained about the quietness at the hostel and I would like to defend them. People come to Yakushima to go hiking. The famous hike is to jomonsugi. The hike is 10 hours long and you are advised to wake up at around 3am or 4am in order to complete the hike and return before the last bus. I really appreciated the fact that the hostel was quiet on the days I needed to wake up early for hiking. If you want to party, there is a bar nearby.

The advices on sightseeing and mounteneering were excellent and you know what there are Mitake drinking time to share experiences in Yakyshima, offering free by parent. Mitake is a famous liquor made in Yakushima. The terrace seeing harbor was also nice to enjoy beer!

• 30th Apr 2014
  • Japan

From the privacy of my own room with a couple of friends, the warm atmosphere of the common area, and the great company of the owner, it was a great stay.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Extremely clean and tidy place. Helpful staff.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

Spotless, quiet and convenient! The owner was very helpful with providing information about Yakushima. Super close to the ferry and everything you need in town. Laundry facilities (including dryers!!), spotless bathrooms + great showers with a japanese style bath, and a really nice common room. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

yasushima is a wonderful place to see old cedar trees in asia and to see some great mountains and green moss on rocks/tree trunks. public transport not perfect, but staying at miyanoura portside yh just for 2-3 days can offer a lot of good things in life and in nature. the owner is a courteous, helpful and subtle gentleman, generous with his sweet potato wine tasting (offer may be time limited). I will go back soon to see everything again under light snow and bright sun in winter for a week.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

The owner was very helpful and gave us maps and all the info we could ever need to navigate Yakushima. I had never stayed in a hostel before so my opinion is a bit biased but I just could not get used to the shared bathroom. And I constantly felt like I had to be wary of noise levels due to the thin walls and how quiet it was at the hostel. Beds were way more comfortable than I had expected. Really easy to get to from the port but not the prettiest area. Overall it is well worth the price

• 11th Apr 2014

very friendly and helpful staff. No meals - but good restaurants nearby (with hints for the right choice by YH staff)

• 7th Apr 2014

The owners were very helpful with recommendations and friendly. I liked it very much that there was a choice between shower and Japanese shower/bathtub.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

Friendly, helpful owner, and great location! Ferry terminal, supermarket, souvenir shop, and restaurants are all within walking distance. The common room also has a deck right on the ocean!

• 2nd Apr 2014

very clean and comfortable. The service is excellent.

The balcony overlooking the harbour is an interesting feature.

I really enjoyed my stay at Miyanoura Portside Youth Hostel. The hostel is clean, easy to find, and is small enough that it creates a great atmosphere between its guests. There appeared to only be one staff member, but he was friendly and helpful, answering any questions we had. The hostel also provides a lot of information about Yakushima and recommendations for restaurants nearby. Although lockers are available for use (provide or buy your own lock), it seemd easy for anyone to just walk in.

• 28th Mar 2014