Miyanoura Portside Youth Hostel Reviews

278-2 Miyanoura, Yakushima-cho, Kumage-gun, Kagoshima-pref., Kagoshima Yakushima Island, Japan

I was blown away by the beauty of Yakushima, and Miyanoura Portside YH was the perfect base for exploring the island. The information about Yakushima provided by the hostel is better than anywhere else I've stayed - I'd go so far as to say you don't need to do any prior research, anything you need to know is available at the hostel, and any questions you have can be answered by the friendly and knowledgeable staff. The atmosphere is peaceful and chilled, ideal for relaxing after a long hike!

This place is _spacious_. Felt nice to finally not worry about where to fit the backpack etc. There's a huge terrace with a sea view, nice common room with drinks and snacks for sale. Location is good because it's walking distance from the ferry and nearby you can rent a car easily. The staff is helpful. Oh and there's also a hot bath, furo. Magnifico!

Clean rooms, laundry machines, showers with good water pressure/temperature, and the absolute best staff at any hostel I stayed at during my 3 week vacation. It's very close to Shiratani Unsuikyo, 25 min away. The manager Mickey arranged a 5am taxi for us to Shiratani Unsuikyo as well as bento boxes for our hike to Jomon Sugi. He provided us with all the information we needed, gave several terriffic restaurant recs, and allowed me to use his phone several times to reserve my next hotel. A

very nice experience, view is pretty, safe and clean and tidy, good location, nice reception, definitely will stay here again if i go Miyanoura again!

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Hong Kong

It was a lovely stay. The manager and his staff are very helpful and friendly. The facilities are extremely clean and the Japanese Bath was a real pleasure after one day hiking in the rainy forest. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely recommend this place! It is conveniently located nearby the port and bus stops.

Great hostel, I definitely recommend it. The staff is very helpful and can give you advice on hiking etc., they have a deck facing the water where I wish I could have spent an extra day relaxing.

Too expensive for a youth hostel. Otherwise it is very nice.

I had a good three night stay in the hostel, I enjoyed the bath tub there after hiking. There is a nice terasse. Supermarkt, port and bus stop close by. Maybe a little pricy but that might be because it is on an island.

A great choice as a base for exploring Yakushima. The location is perfect, close to both the port and the bus stop.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Norway

Pretty much nothing to say, very convenient hostel but as every YH on the island, the price is a bit high compare as the others YH in the country. There is no kitchen but basic oven, micro wave and fridge do their job. The rooms are very nice, with tatamis and classic bed, you can choose one night to another :-) The bus stop is only 2 minutes walk and ferry 5 minutes.

Loved Miyanoura Youth Hostel. Highly recommend staying here. It's small and simple, clean and comfortable. Only four beds in my dorm. An easy walk from the port. Mickey is a great host.

Many thanks to the owner who makes the stay very much enjoyable... He is very dedicated to backpackers interest.

Best Island Hostel we have ever been to! Very clean, very relaxing (great Ohuro!) and very quiet. All amenities you need on a rainy Island (enough dryers, shoe-drying facility etc.). The kitchen is missing a stove but except for that it's just perfect. Staff is so friendly and better informed than the tourist office :)! Great hiking opportunities around the island. We loved it so much that we stayed longer than intended! Thank you Mickey and staff!!!

I liked the hostel although it was a bit expensive IMHO. I loved the hot tube, perfect after all the rain and hiking. The common room was very comfortable, too. Providing food and drinks is was a good idea. All in all I really liked this place and I would stay there again if I'd come back.

View all Kagoshima Yakushima Island Hostels