Moafrika Backpackers Reviews

122 Sandham rd, Norton Home Estates, Benoni, Johannesburg, South Africa

This hotel is really far from any shops or restaurants. I felt kind of stranded and my only food option was the hotel's restaurant. The menu was very limited. You had to order at the front desk, then go sit in the very cold dining room. The hours were also not very convenient for me. My room also didn't have a heater, and I was really cold getting ready in the morning.

I could not find this hostel. Not on the map nor from people in the neighborhood. Spent 1 hour in a taxi trying to find it. I was told from another hostel owner that the manager had died. I did not get refunded by hostel world. =(

Unfortunately we only spent about 6 hours at the hostel as it was just a place for us to literally stay the night in order to be picked up and on our way to Kruger the next morning. Everything that we did see seemed very average and not bad at all. The only bad part was the location and trying to actually find the place. Our taxi driver was lost trying to get us there.

We enjoyed our stay at the place, it would even be nicer with more guests, but it might have been off season. nice spacious rooms, washing machine, swimming pool, pcs. the only downside are the cooking facilities, since we needed to use the restaurant kitchen, because the (small) community kitchen was out of order.

This place is more or less a launching ground for the safari tours that Mo'Afrika runs. It is NOT a good place for backpackers to stay and see a bit of Johannesburg. Getting into town or traveling to see any of the sites (like the Apartheid museum, for example) is quite an ordeal, and can be quite expensive. Because this "lodge" is so far away from the city (and stores, other restaurants, etc.), you need to eat the food that they serve, which, during my brief stay, was not very good.

Love this place. It was perfect for a relaxing layover. Far from the city, but for me that didn't matter! Free airport shuttle is always good!!

From the moment I was greeted at the airport to the moment I was dropped off (airport) Moafrika proved to deliver what it promissed. The receptionist, property magager (Mark), talented team of cooks and Jonathan (bartender) genuinely added to the grand gamut of such unique african adventure. Been to several hotels around the world -- big and small ... Moafrika has provided me with such valuable sense of "Honey, am home...." Thank you guys! :)

Very close to the airport.

Was a really nice stay. The Soweto Night tour was a real experience. And thank you MoAfrika for arranging my Kruger Safari! I didn't want to go!

I really enjoyed myself at the Lodge. The tours was amazing at the Pilansberg that you guys arranged for me! Thank you!!

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Mauritius

It's totally misleading calling thisplaces backpackers..it's not a nice place to stay for backpackers there is nothing around, there are no dorms and the kitchen had no gas by the time we went there. However theonlyway togetinto town is eather with your owncar or aboocked tour whichisquite expensive ifyou are on abudget trip! Ican not recommend theplace to other backpackers, except you looking for aplace tostay close to the airport ! They organise free airport shuttles!

Moafrika was a very comfortable lodge. Staff was really friendly and gave good service. The food was totally divine! Cant wait to go back in October as they arranged a Kruger Safari for me witch will be real awesome!

• 13th Jun 2014

I stayed at MoAfrika Lodge and it was really nice. the staff were extremely accommodating and the food was so nice. They made a very nice bomb fire and i had some local beer from South Africa and it was really good. i will definitely go back there before i go for my Safari that they arranged for me. Multo Obrigado!!!

• 4th Jun 2014

A really great hostel, it is far out of town but for a couple of nights in Johannesburg if you don't want to be right in the city this is a great place to stay. The bar and food were good for the two nights I stayed there. If you were staying longer being nearer to supermarkets or restaurants might be helpful. We all got transfers to the airport and they were on time. We also booked a tour through the hostel and this was a great way to spend the day.

The guy in charge was so lovely, accomedated anything we wanted. Was like a home from home, would definitely recommend Mo Africa.

• 6th May 2014

very friendly staff and a nice place to stay!

• 14th Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

The staff at Moafrica were amazing, really helpful and friendly. The dorm is also really nice with great facilities. The only issue I had with this hostel is that it is in the middle of nowhere, any time you want to leave the guesthouse you must request a taxi and pay quite a price for it because taxis are expensive in Johannesburg. There is not a single store or restaurant within walking distance even. Everything else was great, but the isolation of Moafrica is sometimes problematic.

-really good rooms and fast WiFi

Andrew was available from the time I checked-in to give me a tour to the moment I left on the shuttle back to the airport informing the driver of what my needs were. It was the perfect place to meet others going on safari or traveling through the area. The hostel was very accommodating to my needs while in transit. They also had a quick, responsive manner in dealing with my inquiries. The facility is located on a beautiful stretch of property and the rooms and decor are quite lovely.

• 15th Oct 2013

The hostel is very nice, with a pool and nice facilities overall. However, it's pretty far out from the city (and not that close from the airport), in the middle of the countryside. The beds and linens are very comfortable, and it is very quiet at night. A nice place if you don't want to be in the city and have a car to get around.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5