Mongolian Steppe Guesthouse Reviews

1st 40 myangat Bld# 8 No 7, Chingeltei District 1 st khoroo, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

I have been in many hostels in Ulaanbaatar (big ones and smaller ones) and this was definitly the best, I wished I found it earlier! Very small, you have peace, tranquillity, good facilities and couldn't be located in a better place! Nice lady who owns the place, it's really perfect to settle a few days, save some money and explore the city or plan the next tour.

Our stay was good, the hosts were responsive, helping and English speaking. The location is great, just behind the Department store in the city center. There were dishes and pans for cooking by ourselves. The appartment could be cleaner however (fatty and sticky kitchen equipment, hairs in the bathroom - seems like the appartment was not cleaned properly after the previous guests). The laundry service is expensive - 2 USD/kg.

We stayed for two nights and three days in Mongolian Steppe Guesthouse apartment with private bathroom. Thanks to Ms Eiggy, the owner of the guesthouse for making our stay comfortable in UB. Although the building looks old and not well maintained from the outside and no lights in stairs, the apartment has all the facilities and infrastructure from the inside. The apartment is very clean and close to State Department Store. Ms Eiggy is very nice and helpful lady. Ramchandra, Seoul

• 16th Jul 2014
  • India

Eiggy was very friendly. The fridge was big and clean. The 3-bed apartment (building n° 8, 2d floor) had only cutlery for 1 person. The wash basin in the bathroom did not have a tap. Tap from the bath has to be used. Other suggestions for improvement : providing a coat stand, coat hangers and tea towel would be very useful, and providing sheets and blankets that suits the double bed.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

The location for the hostel couldn't be better - right near the State Department Store and the directions given over email were very clear. The staff are not always on the premesis however; when I first arrived another guest had to open the door for me and show me which beds were empty and when I left in the morning after waiting 1 hour for the staff to arrive (around 8/9am so not too early) I had to call her cell to confirm the price and just left some cash behind.

Despite having booked the hostel didn't manage to get inside. We even called and asked for someone to come downstairs to pick us up, but nobody came (they did answer the phone though, and confirmed they're there). After the second attempt we gave up and went to another place, where we didn't have a booking. Not recommended, unless you're very patient.

Excelent location, helpful staff. Staying here every visit to UB since 2006:)

While the lady was helpful, the dorm room was very crowded and the end of it was the passage to the kitchen and a private room. we stayed in the private room. The bed was the worst I have ever slept on in a hostel. We were offered another room in another apartment on the second night but that meant shifting all our belongings. There was no lounge or room to relax. The kitchen was very small and 2 people couldn't cook a meal at the same time in there.

We booked a twin room and got an apartment with kitchen and living room which was excellent. The owner Eiggy was extremely helpful in organising us trips, we did one to Tereji park with horse riding to turtle rock which I highly recommended. Location is right beside a supermarket, and lot's of local restaurants, Excellent laundry service too available at this guesthouse.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Excellent location, good value of money, very close to all attractions, shops and restaurants, clean kitchen and bathroom and polite, good english, pleasant owner of hostel.