Monteverde Backpackers Reviews

Costarica Monteverde, Santaelena next to the supermarket, Monteverde, Costa Rica

One of my favorite hostels in Costa Rica thus far. The value for the money is well spent. I appreciated that the showers were actually hot and that breakfast was included. It was also very easy and convenient to get information about tours and activities in Monteverde must of which came directly to the hostel to pick people up. The people I met there were also super friendly, staff included.

I only had a very short stay because I took advice to go elswhere and stayed in a more expensive hostel for that reason during my first 2 days in Monteverde. I would have prefered the monteverde backpackers hostal if I had known about it. I think in the dorm accommodation there are two toilet-bathrooms and I believe they separate their uses for male and female and femail and I was not told so if that is the case then someone may have been offended.

• 15th Jan 2015

Hi, First, thanks for staying with us and give us a review, We hope you can be back sometime in the future. Then all the dorms are mix at our hostel and in the 6 person dorm, we have 2 bathrooms, but they both are allow for male and female, we do not separet it and no one has to be mad for usind one or the other. Pura vida!

First time ever in a hostel. Looking forward to doing it again!

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Hi, Glad you liked the first time staying in the hostel, we work to make people like it, and have different nice experience, welcome back whenever you want.

Friendly staff, great environment to meet people, wonderful location to explore, and great property layout to enjoy the outdoors! The staff was extremely helpful when it came to setting up tours/adventures. Breakfast served daily. Kitchen is large and available for use throughout the day. Very close to the supercompro grocery store, tourist shops, and restaurants. Poor wifi, but that is expected in this region. I'd definitely stay here again if I were in the area!

• 6th Jan 2015

Hi, thanks for the review and for all the great things that you said about the hostel and us. the problem with the internet was bacause of the horrible weather that we had, but normally is really good and fast, now is working great. Next time you come over :) Pura Vida!

Internet wasn't working a lot of the time. Small water drip on my bunk constantly. The staff would only offered me a new sheet. So slept with a wet sheet all night.

Hi, About the internet, there was'n much we could do about it, since the problem was the Internet company, they had to come and change the cables, because of how strong the wind was in Monteverde and that is why the internet wasn't working right. Now they changed all the cables and is working well and super fast. About the drip water, sorry about it and thanks for let us know, we will check it right about and see what the problem was. Thanks.

Convenient location, clean and what you'd expect from budget accommodation. Time to change those mattresses though, they were super uncomfortable.

Great location, with a very nice atmosphere. The front staff was welcoming and willing to help in your trip in anyway. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Staff were incredibly helpful for booking tours and transportation. I had a single room with private bathroom and it was clean and comfortable. Morning breakfast with cereal and toast was an added bonus. Overall, I had a pleasant stay here.

• 30th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

The place is really cozy and the owners are really nice, friendly and helpful! We spent a great time with them

Great hostel, great price. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful and they offer the best deals for activities in the country.

• 29th Dec 2014

It was a pleasure staying here. Alonso is awesome.

• 29th Dec 2014

Comfortable cabin-like hostel; great location, upbeat and helpful staff. Great for arranging all excursions for Monteverde.

I really enjoyed my stay at Monteverde BP. Bryan was incredibly helpful to us and was the reason we had such a great time. The atmosphere is very laid back and there's so many things to do!

Wonderful! A bunch of us had a barbecue with the owner, Alonso. He grilled and we chatted.

• 17th Dec 2014

This is a really cool spot to meet up with some other travelers and share stories and even travel to other destinations together. They had a good breakfast included and everything was nice and clean. I loved the hot showers! Only thing was that my room only had one outlet to charge phones but I heard the other room had a charging dock, so just the luck of the draw I guess.

This hostel was among the best I have stayed in. It had a really relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Rooms were clean and comfortable. It was incredibly easy to book tours and activities through the front desk. Alonso at the front desk was fantastic! He was great at giving travel advice, always available and eager to help. He even made sure he took everyone to see the sloth living near the hostel.

Friendly staff, basic but clean facilities and very cheery atmosphere.

very nice cosy place and people out there are great

• 10th Nov 2014

This is actually located in Santa Elena town proper. The bus going to Monteverde is about 200 meters from here and about 600 colones. They offer breakfast to the guests. Small hostel. Friendly staff. Loved it!

Alonso and Ryan were great and super helpful! The private room we stayed in was also very nice but a little small compared to other places we visited. I would not recommend this hostel for anyone over 26. When we were there, the fellow visitors seemed very young, and it wasn't that easy or fun to intermingle because of the age gap. Despite the some of the crowd at the hostel, we had a nice stay... Mostly due to Alonso and Ryan.

• 17th Oct 2014