Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge Reviews

Bowen Drive, Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Village, Mt Cook, New Zealand

I liked the atmosphere of the restaurant, there's nothing better than sitting on a cozy couch, drinking hot chocolate and staring at the mountains. :)

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Hungary

The kitchen was very substandard. Hardly any cutlery or crockery. Some people had to eat their breakfast out of cooking pots because there were not many bowls. Location was great. Rooms are fine but in need of some work. I wouldn't stay here again.

For the price (38 dollars), you dont have for your money. The gy at the reception was absolutly not welcoming, i would say the opposite! The kitchen is just so dirty, nothing to cook (maybe they want us to buy food at their restaurant...) If you have the choice try something else

Good place. Probably has the most amazing view from common space of any hostel. The common space also has a fireplace, video game coin-ops, restaurant, pool tables etc. Dorm room even had a bath tub! Good base for hikes into the mountains. Staff wasn't the friendliest I've seen though...

the bar upstairs is a great place to hang out and meet other travelers / learn about walking tours around. with very (!) limited other options for food in town (no supermarket/restaurant apart from the heritage hotel) and sudden weather changes i was very happy about that. it's not a noisy bar so no worries. no free wifi but the regular global gossip deal. otherwise nice place with small balconies for each room. one girl behind the bar was socially incompetent, but all the others were fine.

The day we check out, the female staff is very unfriendly

The hostel itself was really nice, however, there was a woman on the front desk who was not helpful in any way when she was there, but any time I needed to speak to her, she was never at the desk and I had to wait 5 - 10 min for her to come back.. There was no note, or indication of when she would be returning. My friend and I asked her to call for a shuttle, and she told us she tried for someone else already and she wouldn't do it again, even though we had a mass of luggage with us.

I didn't expect to have such a beautiful view from my room. It was amazing! Good value for money and the kitchen was well equipped!

I stayed one night in this hostel with a friend and we don´t liked it. First of all, the recepcionist wasn´t very nice, she delivered us the key and she didn´t explain nothing about the hostel. When I asked her some things about the facilities she replyed not very well, looking her computer and very quickly. She didn´t have any patient with our low level understanding english, she spoke very quickly and she didn´t help us. We requested a hairdryer and she didn´t get it. I don´t recomended!

• 31st Dec 2013
  • Spain

Good location is the only thing I can say about this place. I cannot say that the building is well built though... I had problem sleeping the whole night. We stayed on the ground floor and the building is made of plywood floor and when the people on the 2nd floor walked from one end of the room to another, you can practically hear footstep throughout the night. Very bad place if you require a good rest.

• 17th Dec 2013
  • Singapore

Most of the time there wasnt anybody in the recepcion. It is not nice to arrive in an empty hostel. The view from the balcony was awesome. The room with ensuite was nice and comfortable. The wifi is expensive and you have to pay for the towel. The bus stop is near.

For a hostel in one of the better tourist locations we all thought it was in an excellent location, at a great price, offering very good facilities and staffed by people who truly like to be helpful -and that in itself is a rarity. Having a family room with kitchen facilities and private ensuite in a hostel is almost unheard of, but here it is and there a number of these types of rooms available - excellento mundo. Well done Mount Cook hostel, you deserve a pat on the back.

• 1st Nov 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

More maintenance would improve satisfaction. A checklist each month would be a good idea, involving electrical and plumbing equipment

• 20th Oct 2013