Mountain Hostel Gimmelwald Reviews

Nidrimatten, Chilchstatt, 3826 Lauterbrunnen, Gimmelwald, Switzerland

What more could you ask for in a hostel! This place has to have one of the worlds most incredible views!!! Gimmewald is a quaint town, perfect escape from the crowds! Felt like a local during my stay, hardly any tourists around other than those from the hostel. Incredible hikes within steps from the hostel! As well as the gondola. Come here for some fresh air and stunning views! Heads up: grocery store is in Murren, 1 Fr per 8 minute shower, and no lockers.

Favourite place I've stayed at on my travels so far, it felt more like staying in someone's home than a hostel it was awesome!

• 12th Sep 2015

Place, people are perfect. Absolutely loved it :)

Loved this place. Expensive, but right next to the cable car in Gimmelwald and best atmosphere of any hostel I've been in. Easy conversation with everyone in common room. Hiker types mostly, which fits the location. Pay a franc for hot shower, but I think that's standard in the area. Great pizza, at high Switzerland prices.

Gosh, this is such a beautiful location for a hostel. The staff was very friendly and the free breakfast was great! We also devoured the delicious handmade pizza after hiking. The only downside was having to pay for showers, but that wasn't too bad.

The mountain hostel is a great place to stay and use as a base camp for hiking. The kitchen is nice and makes it easy to save a ton of money on food. The view at this place is awesome and makes for a really nice, relaxing stay

The view alone is worth staying here.

What can I say! Gimmelwald is the most INCREDIBLE location I have ever seen!!!! The mountain hostel was amazing!!!

The best hostel I've been to, simply amazing

The Mountain Hostel was in a great location but you are paying mostly for the view. The hostel is covered in horse flys. Nothing is done about the flys and they are very annoying. I did not like that we had to pay for showers. If you are paying $50 a night I would think showers would be included. I rather not pay for showers then having free breakfast. Although the breakfasts were really good. I loved how most things they set out were homemade.

This hostel is worth the view! And you can walk to a ton of hikes from it. There is a grocery store in Mürren, about a 30 minute (beautiful) walk away and an honesty shop around the corner, but cheaper groceries can be bought in Interlaken before the trek up. Yes, the flies are bad, but the smaller ones don't bite. The free breakfast is OK. Only major complaint is the not free showers - 1 CHF for 3 minutes. Sweaty hikers need showers!

I only stayed here one night, and I would stay here again in a heartbeat! The location is the best part about this place, followed by the atmosphere and friendliness of the people who stay here. It is truly a unique hostel experience. The downside is the price and cleanliness of the hostel. It's expensive ($50) - expect to stay here just a night to avoid breaking the bank, and there are flies everywhere. Also, it is quite small, but it forces you to socialize :-)

I fell in love with this place. The view when you wake up is breathtaking. The owners were lovely and the breakfast was delicious. They make the bread fresh so its hot when you get up and it was amazing. Eat the bread.

The views from this hostel, the location and the outside area are amazing. The beds are thin pads on hard wooden slats which are extremely uncomfortable. The clientele was 100% American college kids and the hostel encourages a 'party' vibe. The common area is all wooden stools and long tables. No real space for comfort indoors. Showers cost 1 CHF for about 15 seconds. They make you change your own sheets when you leave. Staff and owner were not friendly or helpful.

My favorite place on earth. Feels like a family den on top of the clouds. Highly recommend everyone to come here at least once in your life. This was my third time.