Mountain Hostel Gimmelwald Reviews

Nidrimatten, Chilchstatt, 3826 Lauterbrunnen, Gimmelwald, Switzerland

It was the highlight of my trip.

Amazing place. Great staff. Perfect view.

Location is obviously perfect, being in Gimmelwald, its pretty impossible not to be. The hostel has a nice vibe, keeping with the name of "Mountain Hostel". The view from the dormitory is stunning. There's a piano and guitar for people to use which was a nice touch - though the guitar was terrible quality. Yeah, you pay for the shower which is kinda wierd. The staff told me it lasted for 8 minutes per franc, but it wasn't anywhere near that long. All in all, I had a great stay here, awesome!

The location is so great with amazing views and hiking trails in all directions. Staff were pleasant and you get to meet locals eating dinner at the restaurant. I hope I can make it back.

• 27th Aug 2013

An amazing place. Easy to find with good directions. An amazing hostel vibe, all types of people and ages all becoming friends. Miles of beautiful hiking at your doorstep. A coop in the near town and a great kitchen at your dispense to cook a meal for yourself or for everyone. It's a must to stay here. Will be returning here for sure. Thanks for an amazing experience!

I loved the atmosphere! I had a lot of fun talking with the other travelers. It was nice to have a kitchen to cook in ;) Showers cost money, but only one frank. I did not like that I had to be so quiet in the room at night and could not turn on the light after about 7 or 8 because people went to bed early. I would definitely recommend this place. The view was breath-taking!!!

Very over rated hostel. Staff is very cold, not friendly and not helpful. They are resting on their laurels of many years ago. Their beds are the most uncomfortable with no space between couples. The air circulation in the couples sleeping area is extremely poor. There is only two inches between beds. . There is no space to place your backpack or belongiings in the couples sleeping area. Bathroom accommodations are not at all well kept. The kitchen area has dirty towels and is not not hygienic.

The absolute best hostel I've ever stayed in. Petra is so nice and the staff are awesome and love to hang out and go hiking just like the people staying there. Petra seems to hand pick and invite certain people who have stayed there and it shows. The view from the hostel is absolutely breathtaking. I have never seen so many people add night after night beyond their intended stay. It's easy to see why though, mountain hostel attracts the friendliest, relaxed, accepting, and fun people,I've met.

Great hostel. In the absolute perfect location for going each day. Large kitchen area for use all day, and good menu if you don't want to cook. Easy set up for socialising too, if you're travelling alone. Extremely well priced for Switzerland too!

Not really going to find anything else in the alp areas but I wish I could. Great location but not a place I recommend fully. The staff were very unfriendly, the whole hostel is crawling with flies, the bathrooms aren't clean, the wifi doesn't work, the common area is overrun with loud people so there is nowhere to relax, meals are expensive (that's Switzerland though). One of the best areas I've gone on my trip but I'll stay in a hotel in Murren next time

A hostel with a better location doesn't exist. The girls dorm has an amazing view, multiple waterfalls can be seen right from the window. The atmosphere is good, very friendly and not uptight. There is a piano and guitar available to use. There is a kitchen (co-op in Lauterbrunnen or Murren) or a restaurant on-site. The dark beer is very good. Overall a very great hostel.

This place is truly special and amazing. It had the most incredible views of the mountains. Definitely bring your own food, get it at the store in Mürren or bring it up from Lauternrunnen. I only stayed one night but I wish I has stayed more. So much great hiking to do. Only two downsides to Mountain Hostel are that you have to pay for showers and the dorm beds are all pushed together, so you may be sleeping uncomfortably close to a stranger.

Hostel staff were very friendly and helpful. Location is absolutely unbeatable; breathtaking view and easy access to numerous hikes. A very social hostel; we met a lot of cool people here. It's not a party place though - come here for the outdoors. Breakfast is granola and toast (really tasty). Pretty loud in the mornings and there are a ton of flies (staff should install traps or window screens), but these things can be easily overlooked for the experience you'll have.

Most of the guests were older and had families, older and travelling alone, or were avid hikers looking for a thrill, so it was a different atmosphere from most hostels I'd been to. I liked the layout and the full kitchen with option to pay for meals and beer garden nearby! The internet was slow and often logged me off, but I guess what can you expect in the mountains. The staff was friendly and everyone was collaborative about great places to visit. Highly recommend.

The people at Gimmewald were very nice and courteous. I hadn't really stayed at a dormitory style hostel before but all the other guests were respectful and considerate.

This place was cool! We met a lot of cool people there and I would definitely stay there again. Great location in the mountains for the gondola car and hiking, etc. My only complaint is having to pay 1Fr for every shower.

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. This place actually felt more like a home than just a place to sleep in at night.

Great location, if you are really into hiking this is the place to go. I found the staff a bit unfriendly and not there - they seem to be more running their restaurant more than the hostel. You are really just paying for a bunk for the night.

Had a blast here! The staff was very nice and helpful.

Gimmelwald is a fantastic place for hiking and seeing the Alps to the fullest! Mountain Hostel is a nice hostel. The best aspect of it is that you can meet so many awesome travelers who have all come to see nature. Know that at this hostel they do not have lockers (not a huge problem because everyone is kind.) And you have to pay for the showers. Overall id say check this place out because its one of the few options in this tiny town and I overall enjoyed it.