Mountbatten Hotel Reviews

701 George Street, Sydney, Sydney, Australia

Ticks all the boxes as a cheap, clean and very well located hostel. Quiet enough for a decent sleep. All of the facilities worked. No complaints!

• 11th Apr 2014

A very nice hostel with added character. Friendly staff and to my delight right within walking distance of Darling harbour and China town :D Would definitely recommend.

always good value

The location of this hostel is fantastic, around the corner from Central Station and on George St which is the main street in Sydney. There is no common room and a small kitchen which means people sit on the stairs to Skype and make phone calls, very annoying. We have a private double room which had what we needed but was looking very tired. The whole place would benefit from a lick of paint and a refresh as it looks quite rundown.

Worst hostel I have ever stayed on! Reception turned off our electric at 11pm, no air con just fan so it meant an absolutely boiling dirty room

• 3rd Feb 2014
  • Wales

It was a really nice hostel and it was definetly worth for the money. The only thing which was really annoying is that the door to the hostel is locked. I stood twice in front of the door, rang the bell a couple of times until someone opened the door finally. Everything else was good.

The hostel is located near the central bus/ train station and you can walk all around the centre of sydney without take any bus. Inside it is nice and clan, rooms are a bit small and the situation is kind of boring but for few days it is ok ;-)

The security during nights didnt felt safe. Its a non 24h resiption and the door to the hostel is in a small,dark street, and one night it was people on drugs outside the door and if you travelling alone thats not a nice experience.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Sweden

+ : location and the internet is for free the 2 bedroom is large with a TV and the matresses are comfy - : bathrooms and toilets are not well cleaned as well as commons areas (Kitchen and corridors) breakfast is very poor not assistance out of shift 8am-5pm

Located right next to Chinatown, the hostel seems to be a good place to explore Sydney (we stayed there just one night in the dorm at the end of our Australia time before heading back to Europe). Kitchen and dining area were rather small for the size of the hostel and there were also not that many bathrooms. Compared to other hostels in that price range in Sydney, it was a good place to stay. The entrance to the hostel is actually to the right side of the Mountbatten Hotel pub.

Stayed here for a week in a six bed, really liked it. Staff were friendly, place was clean. Good find

• 9th Dec 2013

not bad basically, but the dining area is too small for all backpackers. it would be better for people with heavy luggage if it got the elevator.

• 20th Nov 2013
  • Taiwan

The quality of the hostel is not so good. When it was raining it was actually raining in the hostel and some people had to move out of the rooms because everything became wet. Also the kitchen is way too small, it is Always waiting for other people finish cooking to cook by yourself. Also there is only one table for everyone to eat. Showers are really small as well. I was happy with the 6-bed dorm.

I really like stopping at the Mountbatten Hotel. So much so I have extended my stay once, and will be doing so again if I can. The facilities are nice and clean, the kitchen may be small, but I can live with that, and most of the staff are friendly. I haven't had problems with my nights as I have ear plugs and an eye mask, which I think are necessary for most hostel stays in dorm rooms. The roof is leaky, however that has not affected my stay.

• 14th Nov 2013
  • Wales

We had a bad experience with this hostel because the room that we stayed when it started to rain, the water was leaking for all the walls and before to this, the smell of humidity was very strong. Moreover, the solutions offered weren't good, for that reason we had to move to other hostel.

It is a okay hostel if you don't want to spend too much money. Just don't expect too much. When it was raining it was actually raining inside, Some people had to move out of the rooms because everything was wet. Staff did not really do anything about it told it would be fixed next week or so. The kitchen is really small just 2 gas things which are actually working so it is waiting for your time to cook. Also just one table for everybody and the laundry is half in the kitchen.

Friendly staff, good atmosphere, would recommend for perfect location!

It was my first hotel experience and it was ok, could have been a little cleaner but the room was really spacious and was great having breakfast provided!

the pub is in the perfect position for catching all trains ,the food in the pub is pretty good and reasonably priced. no complaints .cheers harry